Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
Show me COM!!
Posted by: Jon Davis
Date: August 25, 2000 02:04PM

While I do think what has been done thus far is pretty neat from a user interface perspective, as a developer I am uninterested somewhat with the approach being taken. I really think it's time that someone besides Microsoft develop a browser object library (i.e. the Internet Explorer COM interface) that supports the Windows object model so that developers can implement web browsing technology in their own apps by simply calling up ActiveX objects. I use Internet Explorer's COM object pretty heavily for development at my workplace because so many internally-built things are web-centric in the workplace these days--a trend that is growing and will continue to grow for decades to come.

This in mind, it might also be helpful to consider the .NET library architecture, which is not based on traditional COM.

Now is the time to leave a footprint in the industry. Providing a useful platform on which developers depend is sure to provide certain longevity to your products. Hasn't Micro$$oft proven that already?

Options: ReplyQuote
RE: Show me COM!!
Posted by: scratch
Date: August 25, 2000 02:16PM

It's already there. I'm not sure if it's included with K-Meleon, but with the Mozilla releases there is a file called MozCtl.dll. Add that to your development studio of choice and you're all set to browse away. It uses *exactly* the same commandset as the M$IE control, so if you're familiar with that there's nothing new to learn.

RE: Show me COM!!
Posted by: Jon Davis
Date: August 25, 2000 02:20PM

Awesome! Thanks!

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.