Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Multiple windows
Posted by: lomoian
Date: June 11, 2001 03:42PM

Thanks for the link Joshua.

In regard to the MDI confusion, Well I have my task bar on auto-hide, because I don't need to know what tasks are running constantly. Task management was a great addition in Win 95, and auto-hide was good for those users like me who didn't want to have this on screen all the time. With the MDI scenario, the concept of task management is essentially extended to the document. In Opera, there is a 'window bar' which is JUST like the task bar, but just for browsing sessions. In reality it is MUCH better than the task bar, because each button has an icon that gives you a VISUAL representation of the state of that web page. So I open several links simultaneously, and do not waste any time waiting for the web page to load, because I can see the state of loading for ALL of my documents simultaneously. So I keep reading my News page until I know that the external link has fully loaded, THEN switch over. This type of management IS PERFECT for web browsing. It gives me control, not the speed of my internet connection. And like SDI, I have a task bar of all my running 'documents' so know where I am. It is just that I also have a knowledge of the state of each document which is much easier graphically than as a window title in the SDI task bar. And then I have my seperate program task bar to manage the different tasks I run on my machine (data analysis, word processing, browsing etc.) It really does give me me more control.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Joshua Prowse
Date: June 24, 2001 03:03AM

I've had to download Opera5 for the purposes of testing a new web site that I'm making. After playing around with it for some time, I've grown to appreciate one of its features - the ability to save the open windows.

Many times I'll have a dozen or so open Windows in Internet Explorer and have to restart my computer. When I do so, all of the Windows dissapear when the computer restarts. As far as I know, there is no way to have all of the Windows reappear when the computer reboots.

In Opera one can save the currently open windows and have them all open up when the browser is launched again. This is an excellent feature that would add much to kmeleon if it were included.

Currently, kmeleon is good as a browser for testing pages for Netscape6-compatibility. It's my hope that come release 1.0 of the program it will be good enough that it will be able to replace Internet Explorer as my default browser. However, for thsi to occur, the browser would have to become a combination of everything that is good about Opera and Internet Explorer.

This "save open windows" feature makes more sense with an MDI interface, but from a technical perspective it shouldn't be any more difficult to implement with an SDI itnerface. From a conceptual user-interface perspective it makes more sense to implement with an MDI interface, though.

Posted by: Toasty dan
Date: November 06, 2001 06:16PM

If there were some board-based formatting, you'd better learn to turn off your

thing at the end of a quote

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.