Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
More google ideas
Posted by: Tom
Date: June 10, 2001 12:35AM

How about having it so that if a page cannot be loaded (can't find server or 404), it attempts to get a google cache version?

Would just have to load http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:<url>;

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: More google ideas
Posted by: Stuart
Date: June 10, 2001 02:34PM

Well, maybe not automatically go, but have a button on the 404 page which links automatically.

I know you can do this with IE if you mess around with shdocvw.dll enough.

Posted by: scratch
Date: June 11, 2001 03:03AM

Yeah, but M$IE uses "friendly" 404 error messages, K-Meleon uses the ones from the server. I think a msgbox would probably be the best way to implement something like this, with an option in prefs to turn it off.

Posted by: prowsej
Date: June 13, 2001 02:04AM

I like friendly (i.e. user-specified) error messages. They wouldn't be difficult to implement (I can't program so it's easy for me to say that). All that IE does is detect if an error page is less than x bytes and if it is assumes that it's the server default and forwards to the custom page.

Posted by: Katalyst
Date: June 15, 2001 09:55PM

Well, personally I don't like friendly error messages, if they were implemented, I think making them optional is essential, or Km might well loose a few users - pretty sure they aren't optional in IE. Personally I'd prefer them not to be added at all.

When IE uses them it for some reason insists on accessing MSN to display them too - which I'm not sure I like - also makes things slightly slower, and any delay, no matter how slow annoys the hell out of me smiling smiley.

Posted by: scratch
Date: June 16, 2001 05:54AM

They're supposedly optional in M$IE, but when I turned them off I still got them...

Posted by: prowsej
Date: July 10, 2001 09:45PM

They're optional in IE and I turn them off.

That's mainly because I don't like the implementation in IE which is too user-friendly. However, as I mentioned earlier, I like the conept of friendly messages. Of course, users must always be given the last word on this sort of thing.

I'd probably turn them on in IE if I new how to customize them easily ...

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.