Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
favorite sorting
Posted by: babbage
Date: October 30, 2001 09:59PM

looks like a slick browser, but it's unusable for me as long as i cannot sort the favorites menu. am i just missing a setting somewhere or must i return to *shiver* msie?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: favorite sorting
Posted by: Shannon
Date: October 30, 2001 11:03PM

I wouldn't go as far as _not_ using the browser, but it sure would be nice to have the favorites be sortable. I like to read websites in a certian order, and sortable fav's really help with that...

Posted by: Ash
Date: October 31, 2001 04:41PM

This is something I would really want to use K-Meleon over Mozilla. I had a hell of a time getting the favourites sorted in Mozilla, maybe it's to do with that part of the system.

Posted by: Brian
Date: October 31, 2001 05:46PM

You can completely rearrange the bookmarks, but there are issues with sorting the favorites since Microsoft uses some strange proprietary format to save the sort order.

Posted by: po
Date: November 01, 2001 12:23AM

wouldn't it be possible to have a non-IE-compatible format for sorting them in k-meleon, and instead of sharing the favorites folder as it does now, k-meleon could have it's own favorites folder? when a shortcut is saved in k-meleon, it could write it to both, and then you'd just need a function (much as already seems to exist in the favorites plugin) to synchronize the k-favorites to the IE favorites once in a while (could be optionally set to do so on startup, or with a seperate command).

that seems like the best bet to me... the synchronizing part wouldn't even be much of an issue for someone who'd mostly given up on IE... and it's almost feasible to do so, for the most part, now...

just me two cents... arrrgh.

--- po

Posted by: Shelley
Date: November 06, 2001 09:34AM

I am finding the alphabetical favourites list a real problem. So far I love everything else about this browser and really want to give up IE forever, but this issue is a major sticking point. I don't know any technical stuff but really hope something can be sorted out before it drives me insane ;-)

I don't mind having to go in and re-sort the favourites for here and IE seperately as long as the link I save just shows up in each web browser. This is a really minor problem whereas having no control over their order is a major annoyance.

Posted by: po
Date: November 06, 2001 09:52AM

well, as an interim sanity-preserving measure, if there are just a few things that you'd really like to show up towards the beginning of each alphabetized list, you could just add an underscore ( _ ) to the beginning of them... or if you're really picky, you could actually number them... (go by fives, so you can insert things easily later).

just an emergency solution, you understand.

--- po

Posted by: Jeff
Date: November 06, 2001 03:21PM

You could also just convert your favorites to a bookmarks file, and use the bookmarks plugin.

-- Jeff

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.