Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
Tabbed Windows
Posted by: Jason
Date: November 04, 2001 01:46AM

Tabbed Windows Like netcaptor

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tabbed Windows
Posted by: Brian
Date: November 04, 2001 12:57PM

no

Posted by: Aaron
Date: November 04, 2001 11:49PM

why not?

Date: November 05, 2001 01:41AM

because

Posted by: Derek
Date: November 05, 2001 07:47PM

I want tabbed windows damnit!!! That's what makes galeon so cool.

Posted by: Andrew
Date: November 05, 2001 08:12PM

Sigh...OK, it's this simple. If you want Tabbed Windows, write the code to make it work. Brian and Jeff have neither the time nor the desire to do it. There's nothing to stop anyone from doing it. The code and the architecture is open for you to work from. If everyone who asked for tabs actually worked on doing that, you might actually have tabs!!

Andrew

Posted by: xVariable
Date: November 06, 2001 02:46PM

But wait! Most of us here are are not programmers.....

Posted by: po
Date: November 06, 2001 03:10PM

the distinction is gettin' a little fuzzier all the time.

Posted by: jeroen roeterd
Date: November 06, 2001 09:18PM

I thought the newsgroup "K-Meleon Improvement requests" was for just that. So a request for tabs is something that you could aspect here. I also would like to see tabbed windows and because I am not a programmer I would like to leave the request in this newsgroup.

Mayby somebody with programming skills will pick it up and make it :-)

Greetings,
Jeroen Roeterd

Posted by: Laczko Jozsef
Date: November 08, 2001 12:25PM

I want tabbed windows too!
Without it, it's unusable (as Internet Expolorer, Netscape, ...) !!!
I think the best browsers are: Netcaptor, Galeon. BECAUSE they have tabbed windows.
Netcaptor is shareware, Galeon is for Linux...

Thanks,
Laczko Jozsef

Date: November 08, 2001 07:09PM

well Jeff and I both think Opera and netcaptor suck BECAUSE they have tabbed windows, and since we are the ones doing all the programming, we win.

Date: November 08, 2001 10:03PM

For the tabbers - your request is here for anyone who is interested to see. I just wanted to make it clear that the guys doing the main development on K-Meleon are not going to do it. So, you'll need to find someone who is willing to do that.

Andrew

Posted by: Sesh
Date: November 08, 2001 11:52PM

Hai ,
People requesting for tabs, use wintabs from http://17slon.com/gp/wintabs/.
Its free and has kmeleon support too.

-Sesh .J

Posted by: Jackson Gibbs
Date: November 10, 2001 08:41AM

Another vote for tabs... I know the main guys won't implement it, but if there's another developer lurking out there...

Posted by: Evan
Date: November 12, 2001 12:36AM

Right now I use opera and kmeleon. Opera is great when im doing heavy browsing and working on something in word, access, etc, it doesnt clutter my desktop with lots of windows like kmeleon does. But kmeleon renders pages a bit better and will in the long run I beleive more compliant. Opera will stay my main browser of kemleon for 2 reasons, 1 tabs, and 2 email (low resource hog decent email client).

Now, I really dont need a email client in my browser, so thats nto even an issue, I just like it because unlike outlook it is fast and doesnt have more holes in it, then swiss cheese. But the tabs are really required for a good browser, escpecially on my laptop (thinkpad 240), where I have low resolution and need those tabs when im browsing my sites, and working. I dont mind the lack of tabs much on my 1600x1200 desktop, but on a laptop its the pits. Also, under windows 2k, every window basically takes another meg of ram away + the complexity of the webpage.

Kmeleon takes about 18megs of ram from my system and can be a bit slow sometimes, but I really like it none the less, but the extra meg or so of ram taken for every other windows I open is annoying since Im only reading 1-2 webpages at a time, and switching between serveral windows. With tabs, less ram is taken up, and I can more easily switch from browsers back to an app I was working on before I surfed the web for information. This is extremely useful, ctrl tab to switch website windows, and alt tab to go back to the application im working on with the info from that website, And that the 1 window browser with tabbed browser windows takes up considerably less ram with multiple windows then a SDI based browser will.

I love kmeleon, Im not gonna knock it, this is the only thing I dislike about, tabs, so dont be offended if I disagree with you on not putting them in. Please continue your good work, on imho the best mozilla based browser.

Posted by: Bob
Date: November 12, 2001 10:35AM

The latest version of Mozilla supports tabs, and it's improved my browsing no end! It shoiuldn't be too hard to imcorporate into its younger brother.

Date: November 13, 2001 04:51AM

Bob,

Hopefully, you are right and it isn't too difficult to incorporate. Maybe some enterprising young coder out there will do it so that everyone here can have their cake and eat it too. It just won't be our coders who do it.

Andrew

Date: November 13, 2001 08:31AM

The argument that tabbed browsing takes up less memory is complete bullshit. Adding tabs would actually *increase* K-Meleon's memory usage. Just because it looks smaller doesn't mean it's using less memory. That's like saying all fast cars are red, so if a car is white it's obviously really slow.

Posted by: Evan
Date: November 14, 2001 12:22AM

No, just looking at the memory usage shows it.

Date: November 17, 2001 12:20AM

I like the fact that the developers of this program are honest and blunt about feature requests. I am sick of open-source coders that simply ignore requests they don't like rather than address them. Way to go.

Date: November 17, 2001 01:24AM

and the thought never crossed your mind that something other than the fact opera is tabbed has something to do with it?

all you have are assumptions drawn from inconclusive observations. I have real data pulled from real tests that i have done myself, as well as years of experience in programming in the windows environment. tabs have nothing to do with memory usage. The only way you can show otherwise is to create a version of k-meleon with tabs and compare the memory usage of the two. even then, the results wouldn't be very valid because there are many other factors involved.

Brian: heh, I enjoy what I do. I'll continue to post replies as long as there's an intelligent discussion going on. I admit I do ignore certain requests simply because they have been asked hundreds of times before or because they sound like demands rather than requests/suggestions (number 1 rule for getting something free: be very very nice smiling smiley) I'm not programming this for any reason other than because I want a decent web browser. I'm not out to please anyone besides myself and my friends, and I see no point in hiding that fact.

Posted by: Myen
Date: November 17, 2001 08:25AM

Actually, Moz (0.95) does take more memory with new windows than tabs... But I think that's just becuase the functionality is already loaded (just not shown), and each window takes a bunch of memory to hold the UI. Or something, I never really looked into Mozilla.

As for getting tabs into K-Meleon, possible notes (for people who do want to implement this themselves, no pressure here):

I was thinking that, _if_ all communication to the embedded MozCtrl was done through messages, would it be possible to make a plugin that hijacks those messages? Say that I subclassed the (default) control, hid it, and instead make new instances. By tracking which control is "active" (shown), and forwarding the messages to the active control (blocking it from the default one), would it be possible to essentially fake a tabbed interface? This, of course, would mean intercepting and customizing messages like resize.

The thing is, though, that I have absolutely no idea how to even create a new MozCtrl, tabs, or anything like that; if this is even possible, someone else would have to do it. Which probably means it will never get done. Ah well. If it does get done though, it would help with the memory thing... By not loading the kplugin, no extra memory would be needed; but actually using it would cost loads of memory.

(postscript: I just _know_ all my terminalogy is all wrong...)

(post-postscript: forgot... Thanks to current and past developers for this great app!)

Date: November 17, 2001 07:55PM

Ah, but we are not using the mozilla control, we are embedding the mozilla engine directly.

Further explanation as to why using tabs does not help memory usage:
First off, K-Meleon is already an MDI application. When you create a new browser frame, it does not launch a new instance of k-meleon, rather it just creates a new window that shares the same process as the old one. By adding tabs, all that would happen is a new window would have to be created (thereby adding more bloat, etc.) and set as the parent window for all these little child windows that are spawning.

Re: Tabbed Windows (No!)
Posted by: Kemal
Date: November 18, 2001 03:18AM

I realize that other people has different preferences,
but I like K-Meleon because it opens separate new windows.

I could never get used to Opera's MDI (although I have heard that the new Opera 6.0 allows different types of interface).

Re: Tabbed Windows (Yes!)
Posted by: Peter
Date: December 25, 2001 06:22PM

I am an Opera user, and I would like to see a MDI interface for K-Meleon. Those of us running at smaller screen resolutions need it - if we have too many open widows on the task bar then it's too cluttered to read what they are. With Opera I can have 10+ windows open in it, and 5 programs on the task bar - and they're all easy to read the labels for.

As an aside, Opera 6 has the choice of SDI or MDI - maybe K-Meleon should have this option?

Peter.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.