Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
Window Size, Windows background and stuff
Posted by: Dumdeedum
Date: November 20, 2001 02:21AM

Just a couple of suggestions, sorry if they've been covered before but I couldn't see any other similar ones at a glance...

i) Currently the default size of new windows seems to be set to whatever size the last opened window is, wouldn't it be better for the default to be the size of the parent window. The amount of times I've created a new window and had it popup-advert size boggles the mind.

ii) like the other browsers, a "Set as Wallpaper" dealie when you right click on images would be nice.
iii) Don't know whether this is a kmeleon thing or a mozilla thing, but the default <LI> size could be used to crush cities...
iv) My URL bar seems to jump about on the toolbar, generally messing with my personal toolbar and getting into no end of hijinx.
v) On pages with framesets there isn't a "View Frame Source" on the right click, nor a "Open Frame in New Window", both of which ease things for devs.

vi) The View Source thing (while very cool) makes all tags lowercase, which while kind of nifty, is really annoying for UPPERCASE tag elitists like myself.

vii) Image Alt text was a welcome addition, however it doesn't wrap at the edge of the window which sometimes happens on headline type images.

Well it started off as a couple and just sorta grew... but anyway, k-meleon is the best browser I've found so far, much kudos to everyone who's contributed.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Window Size, Windows background and stuff
Posted by: Mark Grimes
Date: November 21, 2001 04:07PM

I will second Dumdeedum's first suggestion. With all the pop-up ads out there now, this is really annoying. Also, the placement of new windows could be more standard -- i.e. (new.top, new.left) = (parent.top+x, parent.left+x).

K-Meleon rocks!

Posted by: Bernard Mercier
Date: November 24, 2001 09:22AM

I second Dumdeedum and Mark Grimes request also.
Very annoying to always resize and reposotion a new window.

Bernard

Posted by: Ublis
Date: December 10, 2001 12:10AM

I've noticed some weird things happening when you have multiple windows open too. Particularly annoying are:

- sometimes a window will jump on foreground (e.g. if I open a link in a new window because I want to read it later and switch back to my original window, the new window will pop up on front when it's done loading or has an error). MSIE does something like this too (I still have to notice any pattern in this behaviour). Obviously I can see for some people it's useful, but it should at least be optional (and disabled by default, you can assume that if someone switches back to a certain window, that is what they want to see IMO).

- sometimes if I open something in a new window and switch back to the original window, the new window will pop up again in a small form (which means the titlebar with icon and system buttons, with the total being about 100 pixels wide). This I don't understand at all :-).

I also have the fourth problem in this first post (the URL thingy jumping around at will). I also like the fifth suggestion (and how about viewing the contents of a frame instead of the frame itself, is that possible?).

For the rest, I was a bit suspicious when I saw it was Mozilla-based (I had some bad experiences with Netscape 6), but now I use K-Meleon for most of my browsing and except for the quirks above it's really good.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.