Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
Is this happening only to me?
Posted by: PaintedReality
Date: November 22, 2001 03:53PM

If I have more than two windows opening separate sites, one of them seems to 'hang' while the other finishes up its work. Especially sites with lots of JPEGs or GIFs really 'sucks' winking smiley the life out of the other browser window!
Its kinda bugging....

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is this happening only to me?
Posted by: Matthew
Date: November 23, 2001 09:49AM

Yes, on a slower computer this is very noticable, though I think it works comparable to at least Opera when it comes to Java or Flash.

Date: November 27, 2001 10:03AM

True, but then why do other *lesser* mortals like Netscape 4.7 and IE 4.0 multiple windows seem to work in parallel?

Posted by: po
Date: November 27, 2001 10:22AM

an adjunct to this would be the fact that when browsing with images disabled, and having multiple windows open, if you want to view the images in the active window by toggling images on, kmeleon loads images for all open windows simultaneously, which is a high price to pay just to be able to see where an image link is on a page...

is there any possibility of giving the windows some autonomy as far as run-time changes to preferences are concerned? this seems desirable...

--- po

Posted by: Brian
Date: November 27, 2001 04:56PM

unfortunately, no. mozilla has what's called a pref listener. various components register to receive pref change messages (for example, the views register the "image loading" pref) so when that pref changes, it broadcasts the message to anyone willing to listen. the long and the short of it is, you can't tell the pref manager to only broadcast to certain windows.

Posted by: po
Date: November 27, 2001 07:36PM

something to keep in mind when toggling things like javascript, etc., i guess...

thanks for the explanation, anyway.

Date: November 29, 2001 07:04AM

Hey...i'm beginning to sound like the worst critic of kmeleon -- which is hardly true! However, galeon uses mozilla engine too and seems to be doing fine.
Let me repeat myself -- as soon as one window starts *painting*, all others wait. period. Once that one window is done, the next one takes over...I've also been wondering if its got to do with the fact that i'm using an archaic version of windows -- Windows 98 (First Edition)?

Posted by: Nate
Date: January 21, 2002 04:12AM

No - It's not only you! (which means it's also not only me!)

My computer is fairly old, but NOT yet archaic, and it's NOT slow. I have noticed that kmeleon does this to me, when other browsers (IE, Netscape) seem to let their windows render independently. I have Windows 2000 on a 330MHz Celeron with 512MB of ram.

This first caught my attention when I was trying to fly through eBay listings. It really bugged me when I was double checking my picture galleries.

My original post is in a different thread:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?f=3&i=1685&t=1685

Posted by: Nate
Date: January 21, 2002 04:26AM

No - It's not only you! (which means it's also not only me!)

My computer is fairly old, but NOT yet archaic, and it's NOT slow. I have noticed that kmeleon does this to me, when other browsers (IE, Netscape) seem to let their windows render independently. I have Windows 2000 on a 330MHz Celeron with 512MB of ram.

This first caught my attention when I was trying to fly through eBay listings. It really bugged me when I was double checking my picture galleries.

My original post is in a different thread:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?f=3&i=1685&t=1685

-Nate

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.