Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
Tabbed browsing!!
Posted by: Geoff
Date: December 23, 2001 08:09AM

I currently use Mozilla, thinking about using K instead but I can't live without tabbed browsing.... I

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tabbed browsing!!
Posted by: Misel
Date: December 23, 2001 05:52PM

but make it so that you can turn it off.

It's just like the Pepsi-Coke thing - you can't love both of it winking smiley

Posted by: Geoff
Date: December 26, 2001 12:56AM

mozilla can be operated either way. You can either open things in a new window or open them in a new tab. I use a mixture of both, different sites I open in different windows but within a site (usually a forum), I have middle click bound to "open in new tab" so I just middle click all the threads I want to read. the new tabs open in the background and it's MUCH faster than opening a new window so it's so much more efficient.

As I say you can have tabbed browsing and use or not use it. It's well done in Mozilla.

Pepsi/Coke, I don't really care. They both rot your teeth. I slightly prefer coke but big whoop.

Posted by: sven
Date: December 26, 2001 06:58AM

Have to sign the petition, I'm afraid smiling smiley

I'm absolutely helpless without moz-style tabbed browsing. I mean, once I got used to it I was not going back. And I hate Opera because though its commercial browser it's not very good at its job (CSS & Opera, even v.6? you must be kidding me).

I don't care of any other bells & whistles but this one is vital for me since in my development work I constantly keep 6-7 windows open. It would be nice if I could save my precious screen-estate for other things as well. I'm already using 3 virtual screens but still I'd wish I could keep my browser windows neatly stacked and not running wild in the midst of other things.

Posted by: Sam Must Have TABS
Date: January 06, 2002 08:41AM

1. Tabbs, i can not live without. I loaded Linux,"What a nightmare to configure,give it another year" just to use Galeon. Tabbs,Tabbs,Tabbs.
2.Accept all cookies but when you quit the cookies file is wiped with random numbers derrived from the cookies.
3.The file download window in Mozilla doesn't remember the last location.Save this info until you quit then wipe with random numbers derrived ,again from cookies.Does K-Meleon's file download manager remember the last download location.I DON'T KNOW ,UNTIL IT HAS TABBS THERE IS NO USE IN FINDING OUT.TABBS,TABBS,TABBS

Posted by: Nicole Simon
Date: January 06, 2002 04:27PM

Just to know if I have to protest hard:
Tabbed Browsing is what Opera does, a so called MDI interface, right?

In this case: Do it (you shouldn't and if so make it dammed configurable) and I will use voodo puppets to give pain to you - much pain! ;o)

Nicole

Posted by: Andrew
Date: January 06, 2002 06:12PM

Nicole,

None of the developers are working on Tabs. Unless someone else codes it, we won't see it. Either way, it would have to be an option or there will be a lot of protests!

Andrew

Date: January 06, 2002 06:57PM

Good. Very good yawning smiley))

Date: January 06, 2002 09:06PM

Heh-heh, I still vote FOR tabbed interface smiling smiley

Just half an hour ago I had 7 Mozilla, 1 IE and 2 K-M windows open. Thank god Mozilla allowed me to put his nicely under tabs within one window. I wouldn't want 10 browser windows on my desktop, no way :-(

Date: January 06, 2002 10:07PM

Why not? At least all your Mozilla / Netscape / K-Meleon Browser windows are accessibly via CTRL-Tab to circle them through.

Nicole

Posted by: scratch
Date: January 08, 2002 05:30AM

and circle through *all* of them. if they're in tabs, you'd have to use a different key combo to circle through the KM tabs than to go to one of your other open programs.

Date: January 08, 2002 05:48AM

You're missing the point, guys. First of all, I DON'T want to have Moz / IE / K-M/ Whatever windows around. I'd rather have 1 browser window. I don't know about you but I keep other things going on as well, usually about 4-5 windows in addition to browsers. This means operating with average 10-15 simultaneous windows on one vscreen during my productive work. This is not good. I don't care about keycombos at all, this is pseudoproblem whereas desktop cluttering is real problem for me.

As someone said, it's mostly love or hate thing. For me it has become neccessity. Though I love K-M for its versatility , my main, so to say "productivity environment" browser will stay Mozilla for forseeable future as long as it provides me convenient uncluttered browsing.

Date: January 08, 2002 01:22PM

Sven,

I don't want to discuss your behaviour with browser, as you said, it's a love or hate thing, I just want to understand: You are complaining about them stealing place on your desktop, right?

I' ve noticed this behavior from many IE users who didn't see / didnt' know that you all can maximize windows plus really quickly can change through em all and so have the full advantages of this. At the moment I do have 8 K-Meleon windows, three time my newsreader, morphous, two hamsters explorer and my beloved notetab. But I don't try to arrange them on my destop but cycle through with them.

Most of the cases these are pure mouseusers two and they don't know the fact that you are much more effective with keyboards than you will ever be with the mouse in most of the applications.[This of course refers only to application where you do have standard keycombos.]

This is also one reason why I don't work with IE althugh it does have some nice features - you can't use CTRL-TAb with it - unusable.

Greeting from Marzipancity ;o)
Nicole

Date: January 08, 2002 07:47PM

I'm web-developer, I do routine checks on client web-pages, I follow several projects in progress with my browser, I preview different pages in different stages, I always have several references open etc etc etc. Now, beside those I have to have my editor(s), mail/news, design apps, terminals and occasional other software. I use 3 virtual screens to alleviate some of the mess and spread things out nicely. I proabably can navigate and work with standard windows apps in keyboard-only mode faster than 95% of the folks out there so this IS NOT an issue (tell me, without trying, what does combination "Alt + minus + N" do and when does work? or what is the key combination for changing font size in Office apps?).

I don't mind having like 10 browser windows at home where I have all the time in the world, where I can have nice cup of coffee, turn the music as loud as I want and browse at my own leisure. However, to be productive, I can't and won't allow myself to have myriad of unorganized windows. I need to organize them just as I need to keep my books on bookshelf, not having them lying around on floor. Its fine with three books but it's getting annoying with ten books.

For me browser is a tool, working tool, not just nice accessory. Browser has to be:

1) correct in rendering (true to W3C standards)
2) functional

If one of those two conditions is not met, I won't stick with the browser. Before Mozilla got tabs the best combination was IE. Opera is pretty much out of question with its continuous delayed support for rapidly developing technologies. Other frontends or browser wannabies (win32 based that is, i've been away from unix desktop for a while now so can't really speak about it) are even not worth mentioning. Perhaps save one or two (Scope being unique for its ability to embed both Mozilla and IE engines at the same time).

K-M is exception to the mass of home-made browsers. It's going in right direction - providing the best rendering engine without bells'n'whistles and being very configurable. And I'm far from saying that it's no good without tabs. 99% users proabably don't need tabs anyway, they don't need to organize their browsers so strictly. But I do. As simple as that.

Discussion about MDI's pro's and con's is beyond this topic, it has its place just as SDI has its place. Just that I'd like to see MDI in K-M also. Thats all. No worries when it doesn't happen, its great product anyway. But it'd still be useful.

Date: January 08, 2002 11:12PM

Alt Minus is for the system menue and it should be minimize in english versions and Fonts in Word should be something like CTRl-Shift and S which I always have mapped on Format Standard - but I know how to quick get the keycombo in word for everything because it has this little gizmo of 'show me the combo'
Without looking ;o) And yes I would take the bet upon being in the 5% yawning smiley)

But you gratefully pointed out a bug in K-M which I will post right away to the bug site - Alt minus is not working here! So you see, our discussion has something usefull beside the fact that there are people out there who like and don't like tabbed browsing! yawning smiley))

bye
Nicole

Date: January 09, 2002 06:36AM

As I pointed out in other thread: Alt + minus brings up *child* window menu in MDI apps. For SDI (as K-M) it is Alt + Space.

Oh, and standard keycombo for font size is Ctrl+Shift+P, Ctrl+Shift+S is for styles unless changed by user.

smiling smiley

Posted by: Arual the Wyrd
Date: January 14, 2002 07:14PM

You tell 'em, Nicole.
JFTR, my vote on tabs is I don't give an aerial sex act. However, if some whiz-kid out there wants to code it... just to shut up the yowling... %D
I have been using multiple windows more lately, mostly because of my page-saving problems, and I can understand a desire for some kind of organizing. I wonder if there isn't some kind of little helper-program somewhere that keeps track of browser windows? Seems to be something for everything, I never sease to wonder at all the new widgets I find.
I adore K-Meleon. Even though I have to open a page in a new window if I want to save it or "view source" smiling smiley) Still beats me, that one!

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.