Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
How to prevent change of Bookmarkfile?
Posted by: Nicole Simon
Date: December 31, 2001 03:48AM

I use the netscape-plugin and my bookmark file.

When I make changes, it does insert this line
<meta HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=UTF-8">

which will make my bookmarks unusable under NS 4.78.

Can I prevent this kind of change or do I have to start new bookmarkfiles?

(I would like to keep it this way, so I can use the much better ability to edit bookmarks in NS)

tia
Nicole

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to prevent change of Bookmarkfile?
Posted by: Mark
Date: December 31, 2001 11:02PM

Hm... NS 4.79 on my computer doesn't seem to mind that line. Are you sure it's that line? How does it make the bookmarks unusable?

Date: December 31, 2001 11:05PM

Hm... NS 4.79 on my computer doesn't seem to mind that line. Are you sure it's that line? How does it make the bookmarks unusable?

Date: January 01, 2002 02:47PM

Hi yawning smiley)

Yes, I am sure because Netscape works normal again if I remove this.

It does two things:
I get Times as default font again (yak) and - this line may be correct for your kind of bookmarks but there is more than just english ;o))

It screwes up my special chars like äöüß. yes if the websites would provide the correct &uuml; &auml; etc ist should be ok, but so this just squares.

It was even utf-7 at first which is not correct.

I looked up some of my usenet-articels - a encoding with just utf-8 seems to be sufficent for this - but may be netscape does get wacky with your inserts?
Maybe the syntax is not correct at that place? Why do you put it anyway?

I've tried to delete
<!DOCTYPE NETSCAPE-Bookmark-file-1>

or ad <head></head> but nothing worked, just the deletion of this file.

If you like, this is one of the links:
<TITLE>Lesezeichen für Nicola Simon</TITLE>
<DT><A HREF="http://www.spiegel.de/service/0,1518,116176,00.html?kraftstoff=super&ort=L%FCbeck"; >Benzinpreisvergleich: Die günstigste Tankstelle in Ihrer Nähe - Service - SPIEGEL ONLINE</A>

hth
Nicole

Posted by: andres
Date: January 01, 2002 03:18PM

The same problem occurs with my Opera 6 bookmarks (I have many Estonian and German sites listed and, indeed, this is more than plain western encoding: there are some characters not native in English). I think the problem lies in the UTF part of the hotlist file (the text UTF reappears if deleted) - and is caused by the pattern of saving bookmarks in UTF instead of another encoding. An ideal solution would be an option that users should be able to determine the encoding of their bookmark files.

Another interesting thing is that this did not happen with IE Favorites in K-Meleon in my computer (I've never used Netscape so I haven't tried Netscape Bookmarks with K-Meleon).

I've been trying to find a solution but the only thing I could come up with is using GUL as referred in

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?f=1&i=1933&t=1933

Date: January 01, 2002 03:29PM

IE does in fact correct many many things- you know as Gyro Gearlose once said:
"Nobody can make a machine so smart that some jerk won't be too dumb to run it"

(Even more beautifull said in german: Ein jedes Werkzeug wird zum Tand in eines tumben Toren Hand).

;o)

Nicole

Date: January 01, 2002 08:31PM

Oh dear. Yes, I have no experience whatsoever with internationalization or alternate encodings, etc.

Unfortunately, I didn't write the bookmark code (I'm just cleaning it up and adding features), so I have no idea why that is there in the first place. If I can get in touch with Brian I'll ask him. I do know that the plugin itself completely ignores that line, so it shouldn't hurt to stop putting it in the file.

This has gone on my to do list, as well. Well, the fix is easy enough, but I have to figure out if it will break anything else...

Date: January 01, 2002 09:11PM

No offence meant by internat. things yawning smiley)

I think till you know what the problem is it would really be the best to let it out.

Nicole

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.