Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
google search improvement
Posted by: andres
Date: January 07, 2002 01:05AM

Could you make Google search display, by default, 100 results per page instead of 10. The speed will not suffer considerably. It should be possible in Google.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: google search improvement
Posted by: po
Date: January 07, 2002 02:47AM

you might be able to do that just by adding &num=100 after your search terms, if you change the search URL to "www.google.com/search?q=" instead of the default 'keyword' string... i haven't tried it, though, because i have a cookie that overrides it with my google preferences... it would be nice if there were some way to define part of the search URL that comes AFTER the search terms... do any of those mozilla preferences support global variables at all? anyone?

Date: January 07, 2002 02:52AM

actually, i'm an idiot... just do this:

"www.google.com/search?num=100&q="

for your search URL... that should work. smiling smiley

Posted by: Dennis
Date: January 07, 2002 03:20AM

Can you switch it to Dogpile. It would be good to have a pulldown menu of say 5 engines you select.

Date: January 07, 2002 04:40AM

you could (theoretically - haven't tried it) create a menu that lists a set of setpref macros that set your search engine URL preference to various engines, if you wanted... when macro scripting handles variables, you might be able to enter a term in the URL field, and have each of several engines open in their own windows... you might even be able to do this with javascript now.

Date: January 07, 2002 05:24AM

This does not seem to work with

user_pref("kmeleon.general.searchEngine", "http://www.google.com/search?num=100&q="winking smiley;

i.e. for the search button on the toolbar. Still trying, though. The cookies were turned off.

Date: January 07, 2002 08:29AM

hmm... it worked for me when i typed it into the URL field... i'll try disabling my cookies and setting it up in prefs myself.

Date: January 07, 2002 09:06AM

i put this line in my user.js file:

user_pref("kmeleon.general.searchEngine", "http://www.google.com/search?num=30&q="winking smiley;

and after an exit/startup, it worked like a charm, showing thirty results... and even better, google is smart enough to keep showing me the next thirty each time i hit 'next', which i thought might be a problem. i think i'll get rid of my cookies. smiling smiley

i can only guess that it's not working for you because the pref isn't being acknowledged for some reason (are you using a user.js file?)... anyway, it looks like it CAN work, so keep trying! and thanks for asking an inspiring question.

Posted by: Andrew
Date: January 07, 2002 03:27PM

Hi guys,

Someone want to write that up so I can add it to the Docs?

Andrew

Date: January 07, 2002 04:47PM

yes, of course this works perfectly. last time I edited my preferences in K-Meleon and the settings did not take. Now I editied the prefs.js manually and everything's just perfect. Works with 100 results, too.

I still think at least 50 results should be the default in K-Meleon releases.

Date: January 07, 2002 05:06PM

Andres,

Might want to make that suggestion in a bug/RFE report.

I think Po's mentioned problems with editing prefs.js directly. I changed the Docs to use the Edit - Prefs - Configs method but I'm thinking of changing that back until the problem is fixed.

Andrew

Date: January 07, 2002 05:15PM

Andrew,

Should I send it as a bug report under Bugs section? Editing prefs.js directly in a text editor (I recommend PFE) is more foolproof, principally. The only condition is that K-Meleon must be closed at the same time. Problems may arise, though, when somebody's using the loader...

I've also had problems with editing preferences from inside K-Meleon before.

Andres

Date: January 07, 2002 06:19PM

Andres,

Yes, Bugs under the site menu, not in the forums.

Andrew

Date: January 11, 2002 07:12AM

andrew:

as far as writing up Things Google for the docs section, that would be quite a project, but there are probably a number of places that have more information than the google site itself about things you can do with the search URL... this whole subject will become a lot more interesting when the macro scripting gets powerful. for now, the easiest way for people to customize their search URLs is to go to the google <a href="http://www.google.com/advanced_search?">advanced search</a> page, set up the kind of search they want, and observe what pops up in the URL of the results page... you can do a lot with that stuff, but i've only figured out what about half of it means... for instance, the most obvious is probably adding &safe=off to disable the 'safe search' feature, or maybe adding &safe=active if you're afraid of whatever it is that's getting filtered... you get the idea. smiling smiley

Posted by: Nicole Simon
Date: January 11, 2002 02:27PM

Po,
maybe I am a different kind of person but I think it would be nice to have something 'easy' in the docs section. In my case it would be enough for me to have something like

- shortly describe where to change it for k-meleon (as an example for the more results or in my case for another google = google.de)
- shortly describe the javascript version to do an extended search.
- give a link to a site where more options are described

As a result we would have a page under documentation where I as a new user find something easy and it is something where I can modify k-memelon for my needs.

This is more than enough for most of the people.

Changing google to google.de *is* a major task for some of the users and I asked for it - and I am not Joane User yawning smiley) (what's the female for Joe User ?)

Adding special parameters ist another very complicated thing.
So just let's start simple yawning smiley)
Nicole

Posted by: Bernard Mercier
Date: January 14, 2002 11:27PM

Good suggestion I wanted to apply to my favorite search site: www.mamma.com.

When clicking on the search icon, I get the search argument input window and on clicking ok, I go to the www.mamma.com site, but no search is performed.

Is this example for the user_prefs different for mamma.com then for Google?

Bernard

Date: January 15, 2002 02:57AM

different search sites use different URL thingers (my understanding of this is purely client-side, that of a primitive hunter-gatherer) so the best thing is to perform a search at whatever site you like, then carefully observe the URL that you're taken to for the results... make a note of how the search terms are integrated, what other parameters are given values, etc... then try setting up your user-pref based on that.

it's kinda fun. smiling smiley

Date: January 15, 2002 03:14AM

and for instance, the user_pref for a simple web search at mamma.com would be:

user_pref("kmeleon.general.searchEngine","http://www.mamma.com/Mamma?query="winking smiley;

although that site seemed to want to feed me lots of results from MSN that didn't actually contain my test search term... hmmm.

Date: January 15, 2002 08:36AM

Po,

Thank you. As I am illiterate about these things your indications helped me a lot.
I see now how queries are formes and in power search mode, they are quite complicated. But your basic suggestion is working.

Indeed, if you look in power search, MSN is one of the engines used. I don't know if there is a mean to permanently disable this option.

Bernard

Date: January 15, 2002 10:10AM

after a quick runthrough, it looks like the six search directory URL thingers are as follows:

e0= jeeves
e1= findwhat
e2= overture
e3= lycos
e4= mamma's
e5= MSN

so that, to use all but MSN, for instance, you could use:

"http://www.mamma.com/Mamma?e0=&e1=&e2=&e3=&e4=&query=";

and so forth... although, having said that, i can't say i find that particular front-end very appealing... it seems to return purely commercially motivated results and a hell of a lot of ads... but anyway, you get the idea of how to create the URL...

Date: January 15, 2002 10:24AM

Po,

Thank you.
I would have no idea where to look for the coding and I have no knowledge what syntacs can be used in the url address field. For me it is the same as Chineese.
But now I looked at the source view of the power source and see how you came to find the e0...etc.

After having tried different search engines, I found Mamma was the one, which gave me the most accurate hits for the puropse (not necessarily the most in numbers)

But you are right, I don't like the 'commercial' aspect of it neither.

Bernard

Date: January 15, 2002 11:16AM

hmmm... after playing around with that, it doesn't seem to work quite the way i thought for that site, but you can play around with it some more... good luck. smiling smiley

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.