Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
Spell checker + forum filler
Posted by: Vampirefo
Date: January 14, 2002 12:10PM

How about adding a spell checker, and a forum filler?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spell checker + forum filler
Posted by: Arual the Wyrd
Date: January 14, 2002 06:32PM

Oh, come ON! Get a life.

Date: January 14, 2002 09:18PM

LOL, a life I already have, I was trying to get a nice browser with some great addons, or plugins. But from your posts I see you have no life, nor knowledge of browsers, hopefully someone who knows how to tie their own shoes will read this thread, and code my requests into the browser.

I am grateful, however, that you are not the coder, I searched, for you name, and I see you know nothing about anything, however you did make me smile, knowing I have a life and you don't.

Please pass this on to someone, a little more knowledgeable than yourself, and I don't mean, that first grader reading this to you.

Posted by: sven
Date: January 15, 2002 07:34AM

Stop flaming, folks.

My *personal* opinion is that browser *is not* and *should not* be text editor. Argue me. And it is really beyond me why should any other program than text editor or -- in some cases -- email application have spellchecker? I have never cared for spellcheckers. If one finds itself in constant need in spellchecker then clearly the shortcomings lay in some other educational area rather than in application features.

As for semi-automatic form-filling... Well, that could be useful indeed. But it's hardly worth insulting others in public forums.

Posted by: Bernard Mercier
Date: January 15, 2002 08:15AM

Sven,

Just think a little further then the obvious.

My mother language beeing Flemish, I also have to write in English, French and German.
Do you really think I am a language expert?
Well no, I need spell checking. (and even better grammar correction)
Besides, as I hit the keyboard sometimes too quickly, I even use spell checking for Flemish to be sure, there are no typing errors.

Conclusion: A spell checker is certainly needed.

Bernard

Date: January 15, 2002 08:47AM

Well, english is not my native language either. It was not even my first foreign language I learned at school so I'm not in better position as you are. But I still think everyone *is able* to learn language at least to the level he needs to communicate at.

While I agree that it has some uses in text editors and e-mail applications (as I mentioned above) I don't still see the need for it in browser.

I can't speak for the developers, though.

Date: January 15, 2002 09:04AM

Sven,

Having seen your name, I thought already your native language wasn't English.
The only place in a browser where a spell checker is needed is in a browser based forum like this one, or when forms have to be filled in the browser.

As my physical dictionary isn't near my computer, I feel the need for an electronic one, as sometimes I doubt on spelling (and grammar).

In fact for me a spell checker should be in the operating system with a callable interface, so programmers can decide whether to use it or not.
In this case you only have one spell check function on your machine and not as many duplicates as there are applications with spell checking installed.

But with such an implementation, there might be other issues like licensing.

Bernard

Date: January 15, 2002 09:12AM

Thats good point.

If we could have free spellchecker on win32 platform (similar to ispell) which can be (re)used from any application then it'd be fine to implement an interface to it. However, I object building full-fledged spell checker just for the browser.

There is win32 version of ispell around:
<a href="http://www.math.auc.dk/~dethlef/Tips/ispell.html">http://www.math.auc.dk/~dethlef/Tips/ispell.html</a>;
but I haven't tried it. Perhaps it could be used for the purpose.

Date: January 15, 2002 10:14AM

Sven,

Thank you for the info.
At first sight, it uses 200 mb diskspace and it isn't clear what other prerequisites are needed. I saw references for Ghostsript and other GNU things.

Bernard

Date: January 15, 2002 10:16AM

Oops, didn't check the requirements sad smiley
Sorry for confusion...

Date: January 15, 2002 10:27AM

You don't have to feel sorry.
I bookmarked the site and I may return to it later.

In fact on my previous machine I did already attempts to install ghostscript, but I had to stop due to resource (dasd space) problems.

So thanks again.

Bernard

Date: January 15, 2002 12:03PM

Ok, I found a spell checker that works, with K-Meleon, Now I still need a forum filler, Does anyone know of one, that will work with K-Meleon?

Here is a link to the spell checker if anyone needs it. This spell checker also works with Opera, and about every other browser, or text editor.

http://www.fornada.com/html/home.html

Posted by: Arual the Wyrd
Date: January 25, 2002 06:09PM

Belated apology

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.