Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
clear url problem?
Posted by: nelson lu
Date: January 16, 2002 02:04AM

it seem's i can't get it right everytime i try to clear the url location bar, by following the suggested documentation, but the browser seems to return it again. how do i force it to clear the url everytime i exit the browser for my privacy sake and also is there any 3rd party software that can be use to clear those urls. thanks in advance

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: clear url problem?
Posted by: po
Date: January 16, 2002 04:39AM

which suggested documentation are you following? if it tells you to do it through the k-meleon interface, well... that doesn't work at the moment. you need to edit prfs.js after you exit k-meleon completely (not just 'close')... and if you have the loader installed, this may not even work. the problem is that when you exit, rather than CLEAR the URLs, it actually REPLACES them (i think) from memory, or so i understand. if you don't want them there at all, the easiest thing is to create a file in your profile directory named user.js, and add this line:

user_pref("kmeleon.MRU.maxURLs", 0);

this will keep them from being saved in the first place; it'll take effect the next time you start k-meleon.

Posted by: Bernard Mercier
Date: January 16, 2002 10:04AM

I understand that the original request from the poster is to do this job automatically when exiting KM. (by means of a plugin, macro or whatever).

Bernard

Date: January 16, 2002 11:14AM

i suppose you could make a macro that invoked a good text editor which (using a regex or something) could accomplish this, but i don't know of any way of invoking it on exiting... maybe the new macro plugin could have an OnBrowserExit handler or similar? i'm kinda ignorant about that stuff...

and anyway, the damn things would probably just get written back to the file by the browser with it's last breath anyway... winking smiley

Posted by: captain
Date: January 22, 2002 06:44AM

the easiest thing is to create a file in your profile directory named user.js, and add this line:

user_pref("kmeleon.MRU.maxURLs", 0);
Tried this ...dosent work or maybe im doing it wrong ....can anybody explain in more detail ??

Date: January 22, 2002 07:25AM

well, the most likely problem is that k-meleon isn't closing all the way down; even if you don't have the loader installed, hitting Ctrl+F4 doesn't always do it... Ctrl+Alt+F4 should, though... and obviously, rebooting windows will do the trick, but you shouldn't have to unless you have the loader running.

the user_prefs in user.js will be added (and overwritten) to the prefs.js file on startup, provided the user.js file is in the same directory. this is a handy way to save preferences you don't want to lose if something goes wrong, or if you always want k-meleon to start up with the same settings even if you've changed them during runtime (for example, with a setpref macro).

it's possible you'll still have to delete all the existing MRU URLs from the prefs.js file, i'm not sure. you'll need to do this while k-meleon is NOT running for the changes to stick, though. does that help any?

Posted by: Andrew
Date: January 22, 2002 11:24AM

Po's right. You need to clear the existing URL entries from prefs.js to get them to go away permanently. User.js should work.

Andrew

Posted by: captain
Date: January 25, 2002 03:33AM

Thanks problem solved

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.