Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
Interface
Posted by: ching
Date: January 17, 2002 05:02AM

hey guys

i commend your deeds.

Mind if i make a suggestion, i am not a genius or a developer or anything like that.
It so happened that i need a new browser and i ended up finding k-meleon but when i saw some of the screen shot i lost my interest (not in any disrespect). To me its just another version of IE in regards to the interface. My point is, maybe you guys can change the interface or how it incorporate with Windows.

Maybe you guys can make it behave like an Active Desktop in Windows but better, where you can browse the internet and your computer ( sort of like Personal Web Server). I mean, creating links to your files or folder and internet at the same time since you can secure the connection,right?

Just throwing some idea.

ching

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Interface
Posted by: sven
Date: January 17, 2002 07:00AM

Well, you know the saying: "never judge a book by its cover".
Besides, my KM doesn't look at all like IE. Do your own buttons (I did), change the menus (names, content, hotkeys) - why stick with the default?

It's not IE in disguise. It's totally different rendering engine and in most cases superior at that.

As for Active Desktop then thats Evil Thing (TM). Browser *should never* integrate with OS down to that level. Thats why we're seeing IE exploits popping up every day, once you find a hole in browser you automatically have a hole on your OS. Just yesterday I amused myself with a script that stole the contents of my clipboard and -- with generous help of IE 5.5 -- easily could've passed it on to anybody without me knowing. Nice, eh?

Posted by: po
Date: January 17, 2002 09:00AM

yes, precisely... k-meleon is 'not-IE' in disguise... as 'not-not-IE'... or something. smiling smiley

Posted by: Andrew
Date: January 17, 2002 11:11AM

Ching,

See the resource section:

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/resources/

for different looks for K-Meleon.

Andrew

Date: January 17, 2002 10:54PM

Thanks for the enlightenment guys...

chinger

Posted by: Nicole Simon
Date: January 18, 2002 12:09AM

But the point may be to provide some more screenshots in different skins. If I see 'see other skins / guis (I can' come up with the correct term' just the link 'see more ... here' will give the user the impression 'OK, looks like IE but that does not seem as if it is all?!'

Nicole

Date: January 18, 2002 01:45AM

Nicole,

You can view screenshots of the skins by clicking on the eyeball graphic on this page:

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/resources/

Andrew

Posted by: po
Date: January 18, 2002 03:43AM

nicole's got a point... there should probably be a link to those from the other screenshot page if there isn't already... otherwise people may not find their way there initially.

Date: January 18, 2002 06:16PM

I tried another Browser a short while ago,very pretty Interface but otherwise useless.
What I am looking for in a Browser is Performance ,could care less about looks.

Date: January 19, 2002 06:18PM

but since you guys have KM pretty much secure why not change a little.

nice interface considered a point.

therefore could gain more attention/or popularity to regular user like me. smiling smiley

chinger

Posted by: Nicole Simon
Date: January 19, 2002 07:20PM

Since when are those Eyeballs there? I am sure I did not notice them at first - but a link called screenshot would have been fine.

And when did this 'configure icon' come to the page? Isn't that what 'what' s new is for'? If I have to search each site for new things, this is not very easy. yawning smiley)

Nicole

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.