Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
status bar below taskbar
Posted by: Ezra
Date: January 28, 2002 01:06AM

This is such a minor thing. I really like the browser, but I have one suggestion: when a new window opens, the status bar is always covered up by the task bar. I often look at the status bar to see where links are going to take me, so I find myself continually dragging the window up.

I think it may be because the new window is the same size, but staggered, so the status bar goes under the bottom there.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: status bar below taskbar
Posted by: Andrew
Date: January 28, 2002 05:21AM
Posted by: sven
Date: January 29, 2002 07:52AM

<offtopic evangelism>
Actually, only good and right place for taskbar to be is on TOP side of the screen. It's so much more convenient when you get used to it that you wonder how could you live with bottom taskbar for so many years. I converted two years ago and there is no way I'm going back.

It's more natural for an eye to move from top to bottom, not vice versa. There is a good reason why we have menus and button-bars on top portion of the window, not on bottom. Taskbar on the bottom of the screen is cumbersome and unnatural. I think Microsoft did it deliberately just to differ from MacOS.
</offtopic evangelism>

so there smiling smiley

Posted by: po
Date: January 29, 2002 08:07AM

<moderate pragmatism>
well, just so we can see the damned thing...
beyond that, i'll let the zealots battle it out. winking smiley
</moderate pragmatism>

Posted by: Bernard Mercier
Date: January 29, 2002 06:06PM

You could configure windows to auto-hide the task bar.
- right-click on the task bar
- select properties
- select auto-hide
- click ok

But don't tell me you get sea-sick to see the slow up and down movement of the task bar, when the mouse is near it.

Bernard

Posted by: Deft
Date: January 30, 2002 10:55PM

Or, as everyone knows, the best choice is to ditch explorer and go with another shell entirely. Of course that doesn't actually help the problem if you have a bar at the bottom of the screen like I do now...

Posted by: Ezra
Date: February 01, 2002 05:40PM

I am not sure, but I think it may be different from the bug you reference. I can also replicate the bug where a window opened in the background has *no* status bar. What I was talking about was the status bar being hidden by the Windows task bar--actually there, but just hidden.

Thanks!
Ezra

Posted by: Matthew
Date: February 01, 2002 09:10PM

In many other shells, including explorer with the taskbar located at the top, windows become obscured. That's why shove-it (which probably doesn't exist anymore) was developed. You're not going to easily get around it without the proper desktop formatting... LS using jdesk seems to be the best so far, but is by no means perfect.

Posted by: Bernard Mercier
Date: February 01, 2002 11:34PM

Ezra,

I had that problem too.
I applied Sven's idea and did put the windows taskbat at the top.
(You have to take the option to fix the task bar)
Now K-M opens just below it and the status line of K-M is always visible, provided you adjusted the K-M's window height once.

Bernard

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.