Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
Find a word in Cyrillic
Posted by: Boris Gorelik
Date: February 15, 2002 01:07PM

I wonder why it is not possible to look for a word in a Cyrillic file (Find function). Everytime I try to find a word on a Russian site this way, the Find function refuses to work. That one is extremely important if you want people from the former Soviet Union and Eastern Europe to use your browser. Please, correct that in the next edition.

Boris Gorelik
Moscow, Russia

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Find a word in Cyrillic
Posted by: sven
Date: February 16, 2002 10:08AM

Confirmed, it doesn't work indeed.

Tested with windows-1251 and utf-8 charsets. With former KM either ignores the word or, when doing search for 1 character, it fints question marks (?) instead. With utf-8 it does nothing.

Mozilla 0.9.8+ (2002021403) does the search flawlessly on both cases.

Re: Find a word in Cyrillic
Posted by: Andrew
Date: February 16, 2002 08:48PM

Sven,

Could you describe a "test" case for those of us who aren't familiar with eastern european languages and russian? Just a list of:

* site to test
* words to search
* expected results
* actual results

So that we can try to track down the differences between Mozilla and K-Meleon.

Andrew

test cases
Date: February 16, 2002 10:49PM

Have a look at:
<a href="http://aab.spin.ee/misc/test/">http://aab.spin.ee/misc/test/</a>;

There are three files, two with different utf-8 encoding styles and one with windows-1251. Explanation and seach test is described in the files (plain old english, have no fear smiling smiley.

For me KM failed test #1 in both utf-8 files and test in windows-1251 file, providing no matches. Test #2 in both utf-8 files passed with KM finding all relevant matches.

Re: test cases
Date: February 16, 2002 11:13PM

Sven,

Great. I'll test those out and see if if provides and ideas for the cause of the problem.

Andrew

Date: February 16, 2002 11:52PM

Sven,

I just did a quick check in the latest build of MFCEmbed and it had the same success (or failure) as K-Meleon did. So, it looks like there is a problem with the basic Find code and how it is handling the text being passed to it.

Andrew

Date: February 17, 2002 09:04AM

In addition - take windows-1251 sample, select just one cyrillic character and try searching for it.KM matches with question mark (the only one that happens to be there).

Date: February 17, 2002 04:35PM

Sven,

I did a quick look at the code here:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/kmeleon/k-meleon/BrowserViewFind.cpp?rev=1.2&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

which handles the Find function in the page. I think the code is converting string characters causing it not to find the proper string. I'm going to test some changes in the code and see if I can get that to work properly.

Andrew

Date: February 19, 2002 10:03AM

I'm afraid I can't read C so I can't say "yes, thats it" or "no, that can't be it" here. I can only verify the particular bug with web-pages or test cases.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.