Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
K-Meleon Bookmarks?
Posted by: Al.
Date: February 24, 2002 02:42AM

Hi,
I was just wondering if there were any plans to introduce a bookmarking system (plugin perhaps), into K-Meleon, so it would have it's own bookmarking system (it could be called K-Marks or something similar).
The only reason I'm asking this is, I am currently running K-Meleon on a Win98SE system which doesn't have either Internet Explorer OR Netscape installed (Revenge of Mozilla IISE, K-Meleon is the only browser), and thusly I have no way of adding or creating bookmarks (just have to rely upon memory for URLs), so a default bookmarking system of it's own would come in mighty handy for a user such as myself.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: K-Meleon Bookmarks?
Posted by: Mark
Date: February 24, 2002 04:40AM

Well, the netscape bookmarks plugin is basically that.

You can create a new bookmarks file with it if you don't have one already. And though the current plugin in 0.6 has problems (like not being able to edit bookmarks, for one), the next version will work well - I promise. :-)

Date: February 24, 2002 06:08AM

Think I'll wait for the next version by the sounds of it :-)
I must say that that's pretty handy being able to do that WITHOUT Netscape installed.

Posted by: Deft
Date: February 25, 2002 04:20PM

Some sort of updated Bookmarks plugin that used xml instead of html would be very cool. Does anyone know if this would be possible to build from the Bookmarks plugin?

Date: February 25, 2002 09:21PM

Yes, it would be.

What sort of advantages would that have? If you can convince me that it would be useful, I might work on it (I've been looking for an excuse to play with XML).

It would no longer be the same plugin, however, as it would obviously not be compatible with Netscape/Mozilla anymore. Well, maybe it could just give an option for saving in XML instead of HTML (which would be the default)... that could work.

Posted by: Deft
Date: February 25, 2002 10:41PM

Hmm, advantages... the obvious ones:

It would look cool.
You could say you had one.

I dunno, maybe there could be some fun web based storage possibilties... I haven't really thought it through beyond "it would be cool"...

Date: February 26, 2002 12:19AM

Well, "If it ain't broke... don't fix it."

I've gotten into a fair bit of trouble by "fixing" things that weren't broken in the past, so I'm going to leave well enough alone for now.

There might be some value in using XML, such as portability and ease of sharing between various applications, but I don't see any large advantages, sorry. Feel free to go ahead and do it yourself, though, if you like.

Date: February 26, 2002 05:52AM

Actually all you can say about XML is:
* It's text, so you can easily check the values and modify them with a classical editor.
* It's based on a tree so you can have your parameters saved in a structured way.
* It's platform and language independent.
Apart from that there definately aren't any real advantages to it at all, unless you like skinning apps.

Posted by: Jerrad Pierce
Date: February 28, 2002 07:12AM

And everyone single one of those things can be said about HTML,
esp the simple format Netscape uses ;-)

One disadvantage, XML would be more bloated.

Personally if I were to implement a different bookmark system
(which I wouldn;t I like Nestscape's I just wish there
was till support for roamin, and it sent diff's down the pipe)
I'd make it binary, perhaps a Berkley db.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.