Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
Privacy Features
Posted by: Alex
Date: February 25, 2002 01:44AM

I've been now using k-meleon regularly for the past couple of months, and I like it because it is liteweight, but also because it provides some esxcellent
and simplo to use privacy features, such as disallowing pop-up windows,
turning off cookies etc.

This is an area in which K-Meleon could easily surpass both IE and Netscape if the developers want to. And make a niche in the market for the browser in the process.

Some simple things I would like to see in a future release:

- Toggle cookies on/off button in the toolbar. I know I can go to the preference menu, find it and do it that way too, but it is cumbersome. I use this feature all the time to allow/dis-allow cookies depending on the nature of the site.
So a toggle button (with indication of the state) would be a nice little thing.

- Some other cookie processing capabilitues would be nice (like list of trusted sites and so on)

- Image toggle switch to display/turn off images. There are sites which bombard you with publicity and it would be nice if one we go into one we
have the capability to turn them off. (May even be nice if one could point
the mouse to one particularly image palce-holder and click over it and
have the image show... thought that may be too much asking)

- Alex

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Privacy Features
Posted by: po
Date: February 25, 2002 02:50AM

> So a toggle button (with indication of the state) would be a nice little thing.

the buttons you're asking for can be easily added using macros, but i agree that having buttons that indicate state would be REALLY nice... in fact, i think i've requested it before.

the way images are handled is apparently pretty much determined by the gecko engine, and the developers didn't sound like they would be able to add a way to show individual images, other than in another window.

you can add the preference

user_pref("network.cookie.warnAboutCookies", true);

to make k-meleon generate a list of sites that can/can't use cookies, and prompt you for any site not on the list.

anyway, that's stuff you can do now...

Posted by: Alex
Date: February 25, 2002 08:07PM

Thanks for your reply. I haven't got much time to look into macros and such yet, but I will investigate on how to do it. I'll also look into your tip regarding
how to generate a list of sites...

Alex

Posted by: po
Date: February 26, 2002 04:22AM

incidentally, the list is a file called cookperm.txt in your profile directory... i probably should have mentioned that before. it can be edited in a text editor; the syntax is pretty obvious once you've gotten a few sites listed in there by responding to the cookie warning dialog with "remember this decision" checked...

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.