Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
email program
Posted by: jeroen roeterd
Date: March 06, 2002 12:00PM

Hallo,

what I would like to see in K-meleon is a icon which will start up my sysstemwide emailprogram. Than I would not have to leave k-meleon to start up my email program. Much like IE does it.

Greetings,
Jeroen Roeterd

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: email program
Posted by: Andrew
Date: March 06, 2002 05:18PM

Jeroen,

The next release will have support for commands called through macros. That should allow you to call your e-mail program through a macro.

Andrew

Posted by: Kurt
Date: March 07, 2002 02:17PM

jeroen

About year ago, I found the following handy dll for Netscape and Outlook, which works perfect with K-M as well:

Download from http://www.macgyver.org/software/nsoutlook.html
(NSOutlook V1.6)

To install it, simply follow these steps:

1.Extract all the files from the nsoutlook.zip file into a directory somewhere. If you're in Netscape, exit out of it.
2.Copy the NSOUTLOOK.DLL file into C:\Program Files\Netscape\Communicator\Program or wherever you happen to have Netscape Communicator installed.
It is imperative that you copy NSOUTLOOK.DLL into the Program subdirectory of your Communicator installation.
3.Edit the prefs.js file located in C:\Program Files\Netscape\Users\someuser, where someuser happens to be the Netscape profile you selected when you setup Netscape.
4.Add the following entries to the prefs.js file, or edit them if they already exist. You can use any text editor such as Notepad or edit to get the job done:
user_pref("mail.use_altmail", true);
user_pref("mail.use_altmail_for_news", false);
user_pref("mail.altmail_dll", "nsoutlook.dll");

5.That's it! Start up Netscape and you're all set.

My nsoutlook.dll is still in the "NS-directory". I also made the mentioned user_pref-alterations in my K-M prefs.js.

So every time you click on a mailto:-link in K-M Outlook starts up.

Kurt

Posted by: Anthony
Date: March 08, 2002 02:02AM

This happens automatically in K-Meleon for me... Maybe it's because I have Outlook Express setup in my "Internet Options" Control Panel?

But in any case, Kurt, it doesn't help when your email application is not Outlook Express (such as if you're using Kaufman MailWarrior, http://www.kaufmansoft.com/Index.htm ), and I think he is talking about a button on the toolbar to start up the mail application.

But I guess what you can do in the meantime is setup K-Meleon to use the IE Favourites toolbar, then just put a shortcut to your E-Mail application in IE Favourites.

Posted by: Andres
Date: March 09, 2002 08:19PM

I think the default mail program for web browsers is taken right from the registry (you probably don't have to change anything in K-Meleon for that).

In the Windows Registry (get Start - Run and type regedit, or launch C:\Windows\regedit.exe), it is under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT in "mailto". Just edit the shell\open command (put your mail program's command line there). I am using Kaufman Mail Warrior, which is probably not very common, but my command is:

"C:\PROGRAM FILES\KAUFMAN MAIL WARRIOR\MW35.EXE" -NewMail "%1"

Those commands are different, depending on the mail reader. You should probably check the mail program's help files for more information.

Posted by: Jeroen Roeterd
Date: March 10, 2002 12:40PM

When I click a link in the browser the emailprogram starts as it should. No problem there. I just want to be able to start my emailprogram with a simple clickon the button. When I normally get on the internet I start my browser and from there I start al l my other programs (email, news, composer, ect)

And as I like to work fullscreen it would be nice to have icons for these programs.

I downloaded 0.65 of K-meleon and it is working perfect for me. I will try something with macro's as Andrew suggested.

Greetings,
Jeroen Roeterd

Posted by: Andres
Date: March 10, 2002 11:52PM

You can write a macro for that just now.

Close K-Meleon.

Use any text editor (Notepad, Prolix, Win32Pad, etc.)

Open your macros.cfg and add a macro with the exec command like e.g.

email {
exec(C:\Program Files\Your E-Mail Program\youremailprogram.exe)
}

(You have to edit the path to your e-mail program's exe file.)

Save macros.cfg.

Then open toolbars.cfg and add the following (with, of course, the necessary adjustments; you have to choose a button for your macro — the buttons should be in the three bmp files in your profiles folder).

Email {
macros(email)
toolbar1.bmp[x]
toolbar2.bmp[x]
toolbar3.bmp[x]
}

where the "toolbar.bmp" names are whatever you are using for the present toolbar (you have to replace those *.bmp names with the real file names you have), and x is the desired number of order of the button in the respective bmp file. (The number of the first button in the bmp is 0 as you will probably see from the toolbars.cfg)

Save toolbars.cfg and open K-Meleon. If you are using the loader, a reboot may be required.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.