Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
Bookmark and browser screen
Posted by: Jeroen
Date: September 02, 2002 07:52PM

Hello,

The thing stopping me from using Kmeleon all the time is the option to have the bookmarks (or favorites) presented in the browserscreen all the time. More like opera and mozilla and IE.

I have a lot of pages I check regulary and every times clicking the bookmarks menu is not very handy. Is it difficult to create something like that. I am not a programmer but as a user I would like the feature very much.

Greetings,
Jeroen

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bookmark and browser screen
Posted by: Jason Foss
Date: September 02, 2002 08:15PM

Do you use the toolbar folder? You can group bookmarks together in folders on the toolbar as well. Then it is just a simple two clicks to get to your favorite sites.

I know you probably want them listed down the side of the screen, but since most users do not use this feature, it just adds to the bloat of the browser.

Maybe someone can make a plugin for this so those who want it can have it, those who don't need not have this bloat in the browser.

I would imagine adding it to the bookmarks plugin would make it large. I could be wrong though.

Posted by: po
Date: September 02, 2002 10:19PM

i suppose it would be things like this that tear-off menus are good for... i've never been fond of them myself, but it would be one approach, i guess... it could probably be added only to the rebar menu plugin, so anyone who didn't want fancy menus could disable it, as they can now... might not be easy to implement, though...

Posted by: Al.
Date: September 02, 2002 10:26PM

"The thing stopping me from using Kmeleon all the time is the option to have the bookmarks (or favorites) presented in the browserscreen all the time. More like opera and mozilla and IE."

Well, this may not be exactly what you're after, however it is a workaround. You can save your favorites/bookmarks as a local html page, then either use it as your start page, or pop a link to them on the toolbar folder.
http://www.sps3000.net/kcusd/module4/407.htm

Posted by: Roy
Date: September 05, 2002 11:45PM

I think a sidebar would definitely increase K-Meleon's audience. I'm very fond of this feature with Mozilla and IE. A bookmarks page is not a good replacement. Maybe the contents of the sidebar should be plugins, but I suspect that the sidebar panel itself should be coded as part of the base browser. I realize that the goal is to keep the base browser simple, but some things just aren't implementable as a plugin.

Re: Sidebar
Posted by: techwatcher
Date: October 09, 2002 05:46PM

I would like a sidebar only because I just learned I could have some useful tools for Web development installed in one, if there were a sidebar. See devedge site for details.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.