Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
Nicknames
Posted by: MaxAuthority
Date: January 12, 2003 06:08PM

What I really miss:
1.) When opening a new layer, this one should have the URL focus.
2.) Nicknames. I am so much used to them in Opera, and also Galeon has them.
Just write "osn" into the url bar, and I'll be automatically redirected to http://www.osnews.com. And since I use the Hotlist plugin, it shouldn't be too hard to implement this. But if nobody else thinks that this important, I would like too know if this can be accomplished by a self-written macro, or will I have to start writing a plugin for this?

However, K-Meleon rocks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Nicknames
Posted by: Hugo
Date: January 12, 2003 06:29PM

1)
Edit->Preferences->Config->Prefs
user_pref("kmeleon.display.NewWindowHasUrlFocus", true);
... I'm not sure how that works with layers, *but I do believe* that in the latest version
of layers.dll (Ulf Erikssons web page under Resourses), a lot of work has been done
to accomplish just this. So go and get it, and get back and tell us how it works! :-)
/Hugo

Posted by: asmpgmr
Date: January 12, 2003 07:29PM

2) In Mozilla this feature is called bookmark keywords and there is a RFE opened for it already so it is likely under consideration by the developers. In the meantime you could define keys to open specific pages using macros and putting the key definition for the macro in accel.cfg.

Date: January 13, 2003 04:09AM

1) The thing which the URL focus didn't work when using layers - even with the newest layers.dll :-( It works for the first window, but when I open a new layer, it stops selecting the Combo Box.

2) Hmm, I didn't think about this, but since I mostly use this nickname feature for about 5-6 sites, this could be even better than the original feature from opera.
I could say-> Alt-1 opens http://www.osnews.com in a new layer, Alt-2 opens http://www.cnn.com e.g.

Hey, that's great, I hope it works... ...now I have to start with my first macro :-)

3.) And Ulf URLBar plugin seems to make my wish true, and since it is GPL I could use it as a template for an extra "nickname combo box" - I love GPL :-)

Hopefully, coding a plugin is not above my C++ knowledge but it looks like I would start having a new hobby...

Date: January 13, 2003 04:44AM

adding the macro was rather easy, but is there a "nicer" way instead of writing a macro for each nickname. E.g. can you pass arguments to macros?

I did it this way:

ALT 1 = macros(nickname1)
ALT 2 = macros(nickname2)
nickname1 {
opennew("http://www.osnews.com"winking smiley;
}
nickname2 {
opennew("http://hades.gothic.at/iforum/"winking smiley;
}

Date: January 13, 2003 04:49AM

first of all, sorry for this multiple posts...

but I just solved the problem with the URL focus.
When I press Ctrl-T, I get a new layer which fetches my start page but no URL focus.
But Ctrl-N also opens a new layer without a start page (which I actually don't need), but i have URL focus :-)

Yes, it just needs a bit time, but I really think that there is a chance to switch from Opera to K-Meleon full time :-)

Well, and a last thing...
....does anybody know, if there is a trick, that the "X" button in the title bar closes K-Meleon completely? I know, that I can press Ctrl-Alt-D4 or FIle->Exit but I am so much used for this X to close an app?

Date: January 13, 2003 01:32PM

E.g. can you pass arguments to macros?
No argument passing (afaik) so I don't think you can simplify the macros you've given above. But in some (other) cases you can benefit from using global variables.

$anURL;
processURL{
#
#....process $anURL here (open it or whatever)
#
}

small1{
$anURL = "www.cnn.com";
processURL;
}
small2{
$anURL = "www.google.com";
processURL;
}

Date: January 13, 2003 03:51PM

You can't pass arguments to macros. Keep in mind that in menus.cfg the syntax is:

macros(macro_name, menu_string);

The menu string specification will override the menu= in the actual macro. The menu_string syntax is true for most other plugins as well.

Date: January 13, 2003 04:56PM

As I just suggested in the simple feature request startpage thread, take a look at
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=2520317
- it seems they are already onto the nicknames thing - and more. (Sorry for double posting the url, just wanted everybody to ..not miss it)

Date: January 15, 2003 01:47AM

An alternate URL bar ?!? Sorry but that doesn't sound good. If bookmark keywords (a.k.a. nicknames) and URL autocompletion are implemented then they should be accessible via the normal URL bar. You should not need a special urlbar plugin to get these features, they should be available if the required functionality plugins (bookmarks, hotlist and future global_history) are loaded.

Date: January 15, 2003 12:13PM

yes - i agree. I like modularity and plug-ins, but I would really prefer to access bookmarks keywords from the normal URL bar (saving screenspace):

Date: January 23, 2003 05:46AM

thanks for the updated hotlist plugin.
You guys are so cool, thank you very much smiling smiley

BTW: Finally, editing Hotlist entrys work great smiling smiley
Is there a programmable way to dock the edit bookmark field to the left side of the browsing window and use it to open urls?

(i know this wastes screenspace, but since 90% of all pages are programmed for 1024x768 or less, I don't care for this space at 1280.)

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.