Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
Offline browsing
Posted by: Sudha
Date: May 04, 2003 04:34PM

The version i use is Version 0.7.1 Build 734 Compiled Wed Feb 12 18:21:25 2003. This version does not have a history button. Is it not included in the menu ? Is offline browsing possible from the history ( visited pages)?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Offline browsing
Posted by: alain.aupeix@wanadoo.fr
Date: May 05, 2003 07:57AM

Add in c:\program files\k-meleon\skins\default\toolbar.cfg :

History {
History(view)
Historique
toolhot.bmp[7]
toolcold.bmp[7]
tooldead.bmp[7]
}

Add in c:\program files\k-meleon\profiles\<your profile>\<your count>\macros.cfg :

History {
menu = "History\tCtrl+Alt+H"
plugin(History,View);
}

Add in c:\program files\k-meleon\profiles\<your profile>\<your count>\menu.cfg
(for example in Navigation menu):

%ifplugin history
macros(History)
history()
%endif

Add in c:\program files\k-meleon\profiles\<your profile>\<your count>\accel.cfg:

CTRL ALT H = history(View)
CTRL H = ID_NAV_HOME

... and you have menu entry and toolbar icon for History

and also, you must load the last version of history plugin on the kmeleon page (history.dll)

Posted by: Candock
Date: May 05, 2003 01:08PM

Sudha: > Is offline browsing possible from the history ( visited pages)? <

No! :-/
tried it with the history, but K-M always want's to connect to internet once a site in the history is clicked...

this is really a demanded feature (plus autocomplete in the url-bar).
hope this will come soon smiling smiley!

Posted by: MonkeeSage
Date: May 05, 2003 03:20PM

Right click target site, save document entire. Navigate to the location of the saved files and folders for the site.

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Date: May 05, 2003 06:08PM

smiling smiley

to complicated because i don't know which site i wanna visite again.

so i have to save all the site's?

Date: May 05, 2003 06:09PM

smiling smiley

to complicated because i don't know which site i wanna visite again.

so i have to save all the site's?

Posted by: Klaartje
Date: May 05, 2003 07:16PM

Uhh, how are you going to browse offline on a site you did not save?
You always have to save all sites that you want to browse offline!

Or am I not getting it?

Date: May 05, 2003 08:43PM

i know it from IE or Netscape.

there i surfed long time.
after going offline and wanna show something interesting to a friend i just clicked on 'work offline' and all sites taken from the 'Temporary Internet Files'.

its not possible with K-M's history.dll...

Posted by: asmpgmr
Date: May 06, 2003 12:02AM

Candock,

Offline browsing uses the disk cache (not the history) where the pages are stored to retrieve previously accessed pages. The main issue in supporting it in K-Meleon is whether this can be done in the embedded Mozilla code upon which K-Meleon is based. Does Mozilla itself support this feature ? Open an RFE for this issue in the bugs tracking system so this can be looked into.

Posted by: sudha
Date: May 06, 2003 01:38AM

offline browsing feature is found in IE as well as Opera. This is a very welcome feature and adds profoundly to the functionality of the browser. This feature has been missing in Mozilla & netscape in all the versions. It is amazing how developers missed it & never thought of incorporating! At least now, pl do incorporate this feature.

Posted by: MonkeeSage
Date: May 06, 2003 10:04AM

"Offline Browsing", as implemented in IE, simply saves the web page (single or complete), and then _changes_ the HTML of the pages to make all the link and image paths relative, then opens the altered page(s) in the browser.

K-Meleon can save entire web pages with all their associated images, etc., but if the page uses absolute paths, the images and links won't works because K-Meleon doesn't ever alter the pages it saves.

K-Meleon is meant to simply be a web browser--just to view HTML files; AFAIK it is not going to be offering any type of editor or any of the other bells and whistles that involve editing or changing HTML files.

To use "offline browsing" with K-Meleon you'll have to use a program like Offline Explorer to save entire websites *and* convert their absolute paths to relative ones; then you can open them in K-M and navigate them just like the real site, except "offline" (locally, from your own disk), this will also then allow you to access any of the pages that you were browsing "offline" through your history, either session (right click on foward or back button) or global (history.dll).

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.