Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
Bookmarks Setup Cross-Reference
Posted by: Carson
Date: November 16, 2006 11:18PM

Well, I finally set up my 1.02 this afternoon. My 0.9 was simply working too well, so I've been lazy.

—And, VERY much to my surprise, I just COULD NOT find the Netscape Bookmarks settings! This after years of specializing in K-M bookmarks!

I was fooled because those settings are in exactly the same place they always were—BUT that nice new Bookmarks GUI, which is so extensive, totally convinced me they SURELY must be IN that GUI, and nowhere else.

You've done too good a job, you see! It really looks like the GUI says it all. Er—in fact, I still find it hard to believe that the setting isn't ALSO in there and I just haven't found it yet. . . .

My suggestion: a simple cross-reference. It is required only in one place: in the GUI. Because, anyone who is familiar with EDIT >Preferences >Plugins >Netscape Bookmark Plugin >Configure >Bookmarks File can certainly locate BOOKMARKS >Options.

But the other way around? I really don't think people will think there are any other locations where they can modify bookmark settings.

It must have taken me an hour. I finally looked it up in the documentation, where it is explained very well indeed. But that GUI just seemed to say it all, so I was much more willing to believe I was going blind, than to search for documentation.

In the GUI, could a cross-reference be supplied? Something like this:

"To locate bookmarks.html, edit your settings in Preferences Plugins."

(I suggest you say "bookmarks.html" instead of "bookmarks" because at that point you'd be speaking mainly to technical users. Plus, the name makes it obvious to those just learning, anyway.)

Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2006 11:23PM by Carson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bookmarks Setup Cross-Reference
Posted by: guenter
Date: November 17, 2006 12:50AM

try to click options - maybe You mean that? btw. did You get mail from me?

Date: November 17, 2006 01:59AM

Hi, Guenter. Yes, I've been staring at Options all afternoon. That's what I mean by the GUI—graphical user interface. But I see it nowhere! Where does it show the location of your bookmarks.html? (I can't find it there at all—only in the old place where it has always been.)

I missed out on some mail recently. I've been changing things around, as usual. Should be okay now at gcarson, and I'm still using gmail, until I find something I prefer. . . .

Posted by: guenter
Date: November 17, 2006 01:21PM

missunderstood You then - bookmarks.html best found via

Preferences > General > Personal Settings Folder (Profiles Folder).

Profiles are near FFox Profiles location by default now. unless You use profile.ini.

Date: November 23, 2006 06:39AM

Hi, Guenter! I have lost some e-mail data. Would you please send me a gmail to the same address you mailed the last one? Thank you.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.