Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
Firefox bookmarks
Posted by: Kevin
Date: December 20, 2006 06:30AM

Just a minor issue/suggestion for K-M...For importing bookmarks from other browser programs Can you please develope a plugin that can imprt bookmarks from Firefox? IE, Netscape and Opera are supported but not FF...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Firefox bookmarks
Posted by: JujuLand
Date: December 20, 2006 06:46AM

I don't understand the term import. Do you want to import or share ?

To import, just keep the bookmark, and put it in your profile folder (you then replace K-meleon bookmark by the FF bookmark, and than can you it independantly from FF) and add than others bookmarks from within K-Meleon.

To share, just modify the prefs which indicates the name of the bookmarks file, and give the path and name of your FF bookmarks file.

I'm not sure they are completely compatable, so before testing, make a backup of the files which could be broken.

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Posted by: Kevin
Date: December 20, 2006 07:02AM

Edit: By import I mean "transfer" the bookmarks I have in FF to K-M

I replaced the file for bookmarks in the K-E folder with the one from FF but still nothing shows up in K-E...I think they are still incompatiable

Anyway thx for the help.

Posted by: guenter
Date: December 20, 2006 01:51PM

K-Meleon supports old Netscape bookmarks.html
<!DOCTYPE NETSCAPE-Bookmark-file-1> ( which was a standart once )
with <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=UTF-8"> or other

while Firefox claims it still uses it but has integrated icons inside that make it more colourfull. K-meleon can use that new type also.

Kevin
Edit:
I replaced the file for bookmarks in the K-E folder with the one from FF but still nothing shows up in K-E...I think they are still incompatiable

If K-Meleon does not read a Firefox bookmarks file?
1.) It is either damaged ( k-m c coded plugin is more picky about bad data ).
Else more common :
2.) It is not at the location wher k-meleon is set too look 4 it.
Else quite rare:
3.) Bookmarks file is too big ( more than 1000odd entries = AFAIK a limit )

4.) Best bookmark (Yes - You can simply bookmark it ) FFox old bookmarks.html so that k-meleon only reads it and cannot write it.

Why?

@ 1. & 2.) The bookmarks.html in the k-meleon folder at:

./defaults/profile/bookmarks.html

is used to create new Profiles in default location which is next to FFox profile at a system specific location - or at the k-m-folder if You choose so at install or later place a profile.ini in k-meleon folder.

!!!Most ppl use xp and do not choose that!!!

The normal place is at system default location.

The structure is always
.profiles/default/1uwfo6i7.slt/bookmarks.html (*slt is an arbitrary name / default can be other name that You chose)

(You best find k-meleon profiles via preferences/general/ )

@ 3.) I do not know whether size limit will be altered. The size problem is 2 rare. & the big bookmarks.html can be still bookmarked in k-meleon bookmarks.html ;-)

@ 4.) K-Meleon will use the FFox bookkmarks.html (if it is not damaged or to big) but will cut site icons out permanently the first time You add a new bookmark.
Do not permitt k-meleon to have write access to a FFox bookmarks.html that You
want to use with FFox again unless You do not care about site icons.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2006 02:09PM by guenter.

Posted by: jmillar
Date: May 27, 2007 10:21AM

The 1000 boookmark limit is a problem. I am using a MUCH bigger one in Firefox.
Will this limitation be addressed in the forseeable future? Splitting it makes bookmark managing a very klunky affair if it can be done at all, and I edit bookmarks often. However the use of several parallel bookmark files would be a useful and elegant work-around, and seems easier to code.
BTW: Is there any external bookmark manager-editor around ?

Cheers!
Jmillar

Posted by: desga_2
Date: May 27, 2007 12:26PM

You can try with this:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/bkm/

Posted by: Asos Illusionist
Date: July 24, 2007 06:46PM

i tried using the bkm but i stucks (bosd) on my windows 98 machine..

any help..

i can't import my firefox bookmarks to k-meleon..!! sad smiley

Posted by: Asos Illusionist
Date: July 24, 2007 07:19PM

i found another way that is a bit complicated, but it WORKS!! winking smiley

1. Export the Firefox Bookmarks to a bookmarks.html file
2. Open Internet Explore and hit the menu "Favorites" and then "Organise Favorites"
3. Create a folder named "Firefox"
4. Hit the menu "File" and then "Import and Export.."
5. Hit "Next" button and select "Import Favorites" and hit "Next" button
6. At the second selection hit "Browse.." button and locate the "bookmarks.html" file you have exported from Firefox and hit "Next" button
7. Select the "Firefox" folder you have created at the Internet Explorer Favorites and hit "Next" button.

Thats it for the 1st part, it may say an error or something but everything is going to imported. If nothing is imported cause of some error or something then try moving your bookmarks from the Firefox Bookmarks Organiser to the "Bookmarks Toolbar" folder wich WILL be imported into Internet Explorer with ease.

Then open your K-Meleon Browser and ..
1. Hit the "Bookmarks" menu and then "Edit..."
2. Hit the "Import Favorites" button that it sould import everything from Internet Explorer.

Delete the other links and keep a folder named "Firefox" which is our folder imported to IE from FF. Keep that folder into your K-M bookmarks or move its contents to another folder of your choice!

That's it folks!! winking smiley

Posted by: kko
Date: July 24, 2007 08:19PM

Reading the FAQ - that's it folks!

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.