Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
Would like SOUNDS & VISITED LINK COLORS etc.
Posted by: justme
Date: June 24, 2007 12:43AM

Hi, guys--

Maybe there already is a way to do these functions, but if not, would like to see future versions of K-Meleon do:

1. SOUNDS associated with Functions (like when Page Loads, Or CLICK, or ERROR, etc.)

2. Visited LINK stays my chosen COLOR, so I don't click on something I've already viewed.

3. Some way to DISTINGUISH JAVA-SCRIPT-REQUIRED LINKS. It is amazing that so few pages have any differentiation in color or boldness or underscoring for LINKS that require JAVA-scripting for the link to activate.

4. Would like a BIG RED STOP SIGN for STOP ALL TRAFFIC.

5. Also, can't find any place to tell the program to interpret a typed domain name in URL-locator-box that lacks .com or .net to check .com or .net. This is a basic function; am I overlooking it somewhere?

6. Also, how do we associated Acrobat Reader for .pdf files?

7. And where do we TURN OFF REFERRER? Why is it not in the PRIVACY PREFERENCES section?

Am using K-Meleon about 50% of the time and really like it! It is fast & intuitive for the most part, and much CLEANER than most browsers.

Good work, fellas!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Would like SOUNDS & VISITED LINK COLORS etc.
Date: June 24, 2007 12:44AM

PS Sorry, I forgot another REAL IMPORTANT feature that I'd like to have available in K-Meleon:

BOOKMARKS (HOTLIST) with some sophistication & organization, instead of just a big long list without any Headers or Divisions...

Where can I get one of these?

Thanks again!

Posted by: kko
Date: June 25, 2007 04:33PM

1. SOUNDS associated with Functions (like when Page Loads, Or CLICK, or ERROR, etc.)

Currently not supported. Could also be an extreme annoyance...

2. Visited LINK stays my chosen COLOR, so I don't click on something I've already viewed.

Edit > Configuration > User-Defined StyleSheet. Add a line like this:

a:visited { color: red !important; }

Save your changes and restart km. (Replace "red" by the desired color - CSS color word or hex RGB value #??????)

3. Some way to DISTINGUISH JAVA-SCRIPT-REQUIRED LINKS. It is amazing that so few pages have any differentiation in color or boldness or underscoring for LINKS that require JAVA-scripting for the link to activate.

a[href^="javascript:"] { color: red !important; font-weight: bold !important; }

Save your changes and restart km. (Replace "red" by the desired color - CSS color word or hex RGB value #??????)

But there are more possibilities to invoke JavaScript...

4. Would like a BIG RED STOP SIGN for STOP ALL TRAFFIC.

Open Edit > Configuration > User-Defined Macros and create a new text file with the following contents:

Offline_Toggle{
id(ID_OFFLINE);
pluginmsg(toolbars,"CheckButton","Offline Button,macros(Offline_Toggle),".(pluginmsgex(toolbars,"IsButtonChecked","Offline Button,macros(Offline_Toggle)",INT)?0:1));
}

_Offline_SyncButton{
pluginmsg(toolbars,"CheckButton","Offline Button,macros(Offline_Toggle),".(getpref(BOOL,"kmeleon.general.offline")?1:0));
}
$OnActivateWindow=$kToolbars?$OnActivateWindow."_Offline_SyncButton;":$OnActivateWindow;
$OnLoad=$kToolbars?$OnLoad."_Offline_SyncButton;":$OnLoad;

_Offline_BuildToolbar{
pluginmsg(toolbars,"AddToolbar","Offline Button,20,20","");
pluginmsg(toolbars,"AddButton", "Offline Button,OfflineButton,macros(Offline_Toggle),,Work Offline,20,20,<YourBitmapHot>.bmp[<YourIndexHot>],<YourBitmapCold>.bmp[<YourIndexCold>]","");
}
$OnSetup=$kToolbars?$OnSetup."_Offline_BuildToolbar;":$OnSetup;

Rename the file to Offline.kmm and restart km. (Adapt the bitmap names and indices according to your skin)

5. Also, can't find any place to tell the program to interpret a typed domain name in URL-locator-box that lacks .com or .net to check .com or .net. This is a basic function; am I overlooking it somewhere?

Edit > Advanced Preferences > Browsing > Finding Websites > URL Bar.

6. Also, how do we associated Acrobat Reader for .pdf files?

Edit > Advanced Preferences > Browsing > File Handling.

7. And where do we TURN OFF REFERRER? Why is it not in the PRIVACY PREFERENCES section?

Tools > Privacy > Block HTTP Referer or more detailed under Edit > Advanced Preferences > Privacy & Security > Paranoia.

BOOKMARKS (HOTLIST) with some sophistication & organization, instead of just a big long list without any Headers or Divisions...

What about Bookmarks (Hotlist) > Edit...?

Posted by: justmeagain
Date: June 25, 2007 10:09PM

Hi again,
Many thanks for all the great help/ideas.
Will try to get some of them implemented asap.

BTW, am curious why you think being able to associate SOUNDS might be an "extreme annoyance"? They certainly could be *OPTIONAL,* not mandatory. I like to have a sound associated with PAGE LOADED or DOWNLOAD COMPLETE, and so on. Helps me know, when I'm multitasking, that an earlier function has completed.

Posted by: Gabriela Hodor
Date: July 12, 2007 08:34PM

I did exactly what you said and... nothing. The links stay blue no matter how many times I click them. What can I do ?

Date: July 13, 2007 11:16AM

@Gabriela Hodor:

Works for me. Have you maybe placed the line inside a comment block? A CSS comment starts with /* and ends with */. Anything in between is ignored.

Posted by: Gabriela Hodor
Date: July 14, 2007 09:33PM

Hi kko,

The line is not inside a comment block.
I don't know about other users, but my computer opens a Visual Basic sheet when I go to Edit > Configuration > User-Defined StyleSheet. I copied the instruction from this page (a:visited { color: red !important; }) and pasted into the Visual Basic sheet, saved it, and then restarted kmeleon. And nothing happens. The links just won't change color. I replaced red with purple, then with teal... Nothing.
I found that I can modify the instruction by simply going to Edit > Preferences > Configs > usercontent.css, but that doesn't work either.
And I've really lost my patience :-)
Of course I could start using another browser, but my computer is very old and very slow, Mozilla works too slow and I have a problem with IE, keeps showing error messages everytime I do something and I haven't been able to fix that...
So if anyone knows what I could do (besides throwing away my comp grinning smiley ), please help.

Date: August 03, 2007 07:31PM

Hi again,

What version are you referring to, up above, when you say that Tools>Privacy will allow us to TURN OFF REFERRER? Am using v. 1.1 and find no such option under Tools>Privacy. Is there something we're missing?

Also, would like to make a small comment, not meant to be critical, except as *constructive* criticism:

Why is it so hard to build in easier-to-toggle-off-and-on functions, instead of requiring end-users to mess around with the CONFIG file? All the above discussion & hassle about merely CHANGING THE VISITED LINK COLOR seems absurd. Why isn't this just built into the PREFERENCES/OPTIONS panel? Same goes for earlier requests in my orig. posting, such as Sounds. And the HOTLIST just is useless on this particular version, as far as I can tell, since we cannot order and break up the long list of links. (Tried to incorporate my Opera Hotlist, and even that is very hard to use. It does not work the way it does in Opera.)

Developers could take a look at Options that are offered in OPERA browser, and benefit from their easy configuration techniques, maybe incorporate some of these features into K-Meleon.

We use Opera a lot, but prefer the simplicity & speed of K-Meleon because sometimes Opera just won't or can't do what a site requires. Would building some of these Opera-like options into the Preferences panel really fatten & slow down the K-Meleon browser THAT much??? Or are developers trying to keep Control OUT of the hands of the end-user? Just don't understand why some of the more obviously-required and helpful functions are overlooked by K-Meleon.

Date: August 06, 2007 11:43AM

What version are you referring to, up above, when you say that Tools>Privacy will allow us to TURN OFF REFERRER? Am using v. 1.1 and find no such option under Tools>Privacy. Is there something we're missing?

Tools > Privacy > Block HTTP Referer is there by default in km 1.1x. If it's not there for you, I'd recommend to try it with a new profile.

Why is it so hard to build in easier-to-toggle-off-and-on functions, instead of requiring end-users to mess around with the CONFIG file?
Who said that it's so hard? winking smiley

All the above discussion & hassle about merely CHANGING THE VISITED LINK COLOR seems absurd.
What is *constructive* about this statement in your opinion? What 'discussion & hassle'? You've asked some questions and I tried to answer them. Somebody reported that one of my tips didn't work for him. But when this person isn't able to give me more information than just saying 'It doesn't work', I can't do anything either. I'm no farseer.

Why isn't this just built into the PREFERENCES/OPTIONS panel?
Simply because nobody has done it yet. Currently, the km project has only two developers. We do what we do volunteerily in our free time. We're not paid for what we do. We do what we can do, but we can only do what our time permits. Including controls in (Advanced) Preferences to influence the look and behavior of links is on my to do list since quite some time. Until now, there were simply more important things to do.

Same goes for earlier requests in my orig. posting, such as Sounds.
Same as for links. Somebody had to spend time on this. Time that can't be spend on other things. Sounds may be important for you, but they're totally uninteresting for others. Currently, we have to focus on things that are really needed by most of our users before we can spend our time on things that are only interesting for some.

And the HOTLIST just is useless on this particular version, as far as I can tell, since we cannot order and break up the long list of links. (Tried to incorporate my Opera Hotlist, and even that is very hard to use. It does not work the way it does in Opera.)
Please try the KMeleon 1.12 Update Beta and give us feedback.

Developers could take a look at Options that are offered in OPERA browser, and benefit from their easy configuration techniques, maybe incorporate some of these features into K-Meleon.
Developers can indeed do a lot of things, but they can't read other people's thoughts and they definitely don't like to waste their time with vague comments. What do you actually mean with 'some of these features'?
In addition to that:
1) K-Meleon is currently at version 1.x, Opera at version 9.x. This alone should explain that there are some differences between them.
2) You want km to be more like Opera. Other users want km to be more like Firefox or IE. But km is a browser on its own and, obviously, km cannot be like all other browsers at the same time.

Would building some of these Opera-like options into the Preferences panel really fatten & slow down the K-Meleon browser THAT much???
I guess, no, but - again - I simply don't know what you actually mean with 'some of these Opera-like options'.

Or are developers trying to keep Control OUT of the hands of the end-user?
What is *constructive* about this statement in your opinion? Do you really think that you can motivate a volunteer this way to do something for you?

Just don't understand why some of the more obviously-required and helpful functions are overlooked by K-Meleon.
Maybe because they aren't so 'obviously-required and helpful' as you mean. There are a lot of potentially helpful things. But, currently - due to limited manpower - we have to focus on things that are really necessary.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2007 11:44AM by kko.

Posted by: guenter
Date: August 07, 2007 05:09PM

I agree with kko.

Apart from that: All these 'obviously-required and helpful' items add bloat.
This is vallid for each line of code You add to K-Meleon. So no matter whether manpower is scarce or not You would not want to add a feature just because another browser has it but only if it is truley needed.

p. s. With all wishes for features we personaly like we should not forget that it is essential that the devs implememnt the features they like themselves.

Why? Else we do have NO devs because the browser lacks the features they want to use smiling smiley

Date: August 29, 2007 09:57PM

<don't know what you actually mean with 'some of these Opera-like options'>>

Don't know why the statements referring back to earlier statements (antecedents) are so difficult to comprehend.

Anyway, granted that developers have limited time & energies & have their own agendas, would still appreciate if they would consider "the above remarks" (see above specifically requested items), since they would help many persons who use K-Meleon. (The features mentioned that Opera already has and has had since very early versions *must be* considered useful & essential, or Opera would've dropped them long ago...) BTW, one reason we're using K-Meleon is because it's faster & lighter, zippier, than latest Opera. When browsers try to be all things to all people, they do become bloated, and failure-prone. So KEEP IT SIMPLE is a good motto.

However, not being able to see LINKS CHANGE COLOR once you've visited that link-page is a real annoyance, so hope it can be considered important enough to appear in a forthcoming version of KM. Sounds are not essential & we can live without them.

Thanks for listening and thanks for K-Meleon! smiling smiley

Posted by: JamesD
Date: August 29, 2007 11:29PM

It is hard to have K-Meleon both ways. By that I mean we can't keep it simple and fast if we ask everything to be added into the code. I prefer the simple and fast for myself. I did not find it difficult to use the instructions provided earlier in this thread to include color change links for pages visited or links that use Javascrip. Lines in my user defined style sheet are:

/* -- Links that have been visited are DarkTurquoise -- */
a:visited { color: DarkTurquoise !important; }

/* -- Links that need javascript are green -- */
a[href^="javascript:"] { color: green !important; font-weight: bold !important; }

There is a good CSS color chart at http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_colornames.asp

The only shock that I got was how many of the links on my banking page used Javascript.

Date: September 03, 2007 02:22AM

OK, I added the above lines suggested to the PREFS, CONFIGS, USERCONTENT.CSS section, but the VISITED links STILL do not change color. What is the problem here?

I have downloaded, installed the latest version of everything, but still don't seem to be finding success at changing the VISITED LINKS COLOR.

Again, I have to ask, with chagrin: WHY is changing the Link Colors so complicated in this browser? It is something almost everyone desires or needs, to be able to SEE what links one has already visited, and pardon my snippiness, but this function SHOULD be built into the browser defaults. Just use the old-fashioned standard that an unvisited link is BLUE and a visited link is RED. How hard is that?

Sorry if I sound chagrined but have used the entire afternoon downloading, installing, tweedling & tweaking, and still don't see any change in the Visited Links color.

Let's hope the unexpected browser closing problem has at least been solved by all the downloading & updating, or more tooth-grinding will occur.

Date: September 03, 2007 08:21PM

As noted in another thread, the unexpected KM closing when adding a link to Hotlist ALSO did not get fixed with all these upgrades.

Looks like K-Meleon doesn't know how to handle links, whether in one's Bookmarks/Hotlist, or on webpages...

Hope the developers can figure out HOW TO FIX this, because until these basic functions are fixed & reliable, K-Meleon remains a promising young browser that may or may not live up to its bright potential! (i.e., Users can't wait forever for such basic functions in a browser... and will probably have to move onward--or backward to what they were using before they discovered the cute K-M! Better dust off Opera, it seems!)

:\

Date: September 03, 2007 10:14PM

OK, I added the above lines suggested to the PREFS, CONFIGS, USERCONTENT.CSS section, but the VISITED links STILL do not change color. What is the problem here?
I can't tell you as long as I don't know what's in your userContent.css.

As noted in another thread, the unexpected KM closing when adding a link to Hotlist ALSO did not get fixed with all these upgrades.
Send us a crash report).

Posted by: Charlie
Date: September 05, 2007 06:04AM

kko,

On monday followed your instructions to add color to visited links. e.g. added

to Edit > Configuration > User-Defined StyleSheet

Placed it just above
/* ----- DO NOT EDIT ANYTHING BELOW THIS LINE -------------------------------------------- */
marquee { -moz-binding: none; }

Closed and restarted KM and it worked fine. Tuesday evening noticed that is was nolonger working. Don't recall having made any other changes since.

Removed the entry, saved, restarted KM. Then placed back the entry, saved, restarted KM, but still it does not work. Any idea what may have gone wrong or how to fix?

Thanks.

Charlie

Posted by: Dorian
Date: September 05, 2007 05:46PM

Be sure to have the history properly configured. The visited link doesn't work if you set kmeleon to not use the history for exemple.

Posted by: caktus
Date: September 05, 2007 06:37PM

Thanks Dorian,

I'm back in action now.

Charlie

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Date: September 05, 2007 08:51PM

Dorian said, "Be sure to have the history properly configured. The visited link doesn't work if you set kmeleon to not use the history for exemple."

Well, good grief & hallelujah!!!!
Wish someone would've mentioned this *MONTHS* ago!!!! :-)

YIPPEE, we finally can SEE VISITED LINKS!! YEA!!
Now we are getting somewhere!!
LOL.
grinning smiley

Posted by: JamesD
Date: September 18, 2007 08:29PM

@ justme

I have today add a new macro to the MacroLibrary which can provide sound for the page load event. see http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/KmmPgLdSound

JamesD

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.