Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
Paste and Go for K-Meleon Address Bar?
Posted by: neolem
Date: June 25, 2007 01:55PM

Has anyone ever noted how convenient that feature in Opera is? You just "paste and go" a URL in the address bar via the context menu with one click. Seems Opera is again the only browser to have that feature. I think every browser should have it. It wouldn't mean adding much to the code either, I suppose.

BTW, also minimizing the browser to the system tray should be standard with every browser nowadays because of the importance browsers have acquired lately with the spread of flat rates (as browsers are most likely always open).

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Paste and Go for K-Meleon Address Bar?
Posted by: kko
Date: June 25, 2007 03:13PM

Has anyone ever noted how convenient that feature in Opera is? You just "paste and go" a URL in the address bar via the context menu with one click. Seems Opera is again the only browser to have that feature. I think every browser should have it. It wouldn't mean adding much to the code either, I suppose.

Maybe right click the Go button and choose Paste And Go?

BTW, also minimizing the browser to the system tray should be standard with every browser nowadays because of the importance browsers have acquired lately with the spread of flat rates (as browsers are most likely always open).

That's nothing to be addressed by a browser. There are separate tools for that e.g. 4t Tray Minimizer and others.

Date: June 25, 2007 03:48PM

kko
Maybe right click the Go button and choose Paste And Go?

Yep, that's just fine. Thanks for pointing that out. LOL I'd prefer it in the address bar's right click menu though (seems to be a more logical place, or maybe I'm just used to it from Opera), but one can't have everything.

kko
That's nothing to be addressed by a browser. There are separate tools for that e.g. 4t Tray Minimizer and others.

I think any program that is supposed to be used over a long period and is often kept running in the background should have a system tray option (like email clients, browsers) with some useful features in the context menu of the tray icon.

I'm using "Iconize" (as it requires no install) right now. But it means running an additional program and of course those minimising programs don't offer those features specific to the programs that could be handy sometimes.

Date: June 25, 2007 04:30PM

I'd prefer it in the address bar's right click menu though (seems to be a more logical place, or maybe I'm just used to it from Opera), but one can't have everything.

Agreed. Maybe we can have that in a future version...

I think any program that is supposed to be used over a long period and is often kept running in the background should have a system tray option (like email clients, browsers) with some useful features in the context menu of the tray icon.

Minimizing an application's window to the tray should actually be an option offered by the OS. We already have the loader to keep km running in the background. What would be "some useful features in the context menu of the tray icon" in regard to km?

Date: June 25, 2007 06:16PM

kko
Minimizing an application's window to the tray should actually be an option offered by the OS.

Sure would be nice.

kko
We already have the loader to keep km running in the background. What would be "some useful features in the context menu of the tray icon" in regard to km?

Mmm... I can tell you what the FF extension that minimizes FF to the tray (MinimizeToTray) offers: "Restore Windows" of course, "Open New Window" which starts another instance of FF (I'd prefer a new tab rather), "View Downloads" and "Close Windows" which shuts down FF.

But I do remember when I was still using Maxthon about a year ago, it had quite a few more features in the tray icon. I still think Maxthon got a lot of fine features that other browser developers might take as model to copy from. It's just that Maxthon essentially is Internet Explorer. Don't have it installed anymore.

I think you could open a New Tab from the tray icon's context menu. Maybe even go to the Start Page, open the Settings and some more. But can't remember exactly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2007 06:17PM by neolem.

Re: Tray Icons for Browsers
Date: June 25, 2007 06:46PM

Gotta add: I just checked Opera that has a minimize to tray plug-in too.

It offers: Open Opera, Hide Opera (=minimize), New Tab, Bookmarks, Notes, Transfers, History, Exit.

What I don't quite like about the FF tray icon is that it disappears anytime FF is opened. Would be better if the icon stayed and you can restore and minimize FF from the tray icon. But otherwise I use that extension a lot.

Maybe have a look at the interesting options of the tray icons of the browsers mentioned (Maxthon, Opera, FF).

Posted by: 666
Date: July 02, 2007 07:05AM

A paste'n'go option would be great, but why choose between go button and address bar? Just put it in both, then let the user decide if he wants to switch one off.

I like my K-M interface uncluttered, so I don't have a go button.

Date: July 02, 2007 12:33PM

A paste'n'go option would be great, but why choose between go button and address bar? Just put it in both, then let the user decide if he wants to switch one off.

I don't like the idea of having redundant menus - you never know where to find what you're looking for when the menus aren't exactly equal.

I like my K-M interface uncluttered...

Me too. Less is more. The functions offered in the Go and Up buttons' context menus might be moved to the URL bar's context menu because that's where these functions actually belong to. The Go and Up buttons' context menus could then be removed and the buttons could be disabled by default (or even be removed).

I just don't now whether it's possible to make the URL bar's context menu editable. The context menu of K-Meleon's URL bar is the same as that of Internet Exporer's URL bar! I guess, km and IE are using the same control...

...so I don't have a go button.

You can still use the accels:
Ctrl+Alt+V for Paste & Go
Ctrl+Shift+V for Paste & Search

Posted by: Arual the Wyrd
Date: July 18, 2007 12:59PM

I'm puttimg in my vote for a "Paste and go" option in the URL bar context menu. It could save a lot of time and clicks. I like to re-use a layer that has the font size zoomed up smiling smiley

Buttons - bleh. My K-M wears a tee-shirt, no buttons winking smiley

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.