the reasons I won't use k-meleon (please read and consider these fixes/improvements!!)
Posted by: unh0ly_freak
Date: July 23, 2007 04:33AM

Swiching from Firefox to K-Meleon::::
-------------------------------------
-------------------------------------

Reasons to switch to K-Meleon::
-------------------------------
*K-Meleon uses up about half as much memory as firefox does.

Reasons to stick with Firefox::
-------------------------------
*The k-meleon toolbar doesn't always stay in place, even when "lock toolbar" is checked.

*Whenever I switch tabs (layers), the k-meleon bar in my windows toolbar (you know, at the bottom of the windows screen, right by the Start button) - yeah, the tab thing in my windows toolbar disappears, then re-appears... which's annoying.

*The "close layer" and "new layer" buttons do nothing at all when I click them. I've tried closing and re-opening k-meleon many times, but nothing changes with those.

*The skins for k-meleon are pretty crappy.. but that's not a big deal, since I could probably take the one I'm using in firefox and make it k-meleon friendly.

*The "search" toolbar doesn't have a box for me to type into like firefox does. ALSO, whenever I even CLICK the search toolbar icon thing.. it just open File (you know, where you can change settings and all'a that in k-meleon.. yeah, it opens it as if I just clicked on it). So that leaves me with basically no search function
except typing in google.com and then searching from there manually.. which's a
bother after getting used to firefox's search feature.

=====================================

I forget what else bugged me at the moment, but these're my points of views on
K-Meleon vs. what I'm using now (Firefox). I have the latest versions of both
browsers, and I know you know firefox is superior.. that's not why I'm writing
this. I'm writing because if you could fix these small, yet big and annoying,
problems, then I'd really like usin' k-meleon better than firefox.. 'cause
firefox slows my computer down way too much.

Re: the reasons I won't use k-meleon (please read and consider these fixes/improvements!!)
Posted by: D555
Date: July 23, 2007 05:41AM

imho only reason is one ... - layers, which uses much of system resources ...(because one layer<=>one system window)

in that case waiting for tabbing K-Meleon very much ...smiling smiley

Re: the reasons I won't use k-meleon (please read and consider these fixes/improvements!!)
Posted by: JujuLand
Date: July 23, 2007 07:02AM

The k-meleon toolbar doesn't always stay in place, even when "lock toolbar" is checked.

Yes, there is some problems when changing skin because of different names button, or such rhings.
But if your stable, you don't change the skin each 5 minutes.

*Whenever I switch tabs (layers), the k-meleon bar in my windows toolbar (you know, at the bottom of the windows screen, right by the Start button) - yeah, the tab thing in my windows toolbar disappears, then re-appears... which's annoying.

Just close your eyes a few milliseconds.:-)

*The skins for k-meleon are pretty crappy.. but that's not a big deal, since I could probably take the one I'm using in firefox and make it k-meleon friendly.

There is now 11 skins adapted to K-Meleon 1.1 on my site, and probably more and more on others pages on the web. If you want to use your firefox skin, you can adapt it to K-Meleon, or send us the name, and we perhaps can adapt it.

*The "search" toolbar doesn't have a box for me to type into like firefox does. ALSO, whenever I even CLICK the search toolbar icon thing.. it just open File (you know, where you can change settings and all'a that in k-meleon.. yeah, it opens it as if I just clicked on it). So that leaves me with basically no search function

Search with K-Meleon is easy and easiest than with Firefox.

For the preferences:
--------------------
a) You have first 10 engines pre-defined by default, but you have about 100 avalaible engines, You can change the pre-defined sites (number and engines) by using

Advanced Preferences (F2) > Web Search > Web Search

b) You can add engines to the list:

Advanced Preferences (F2) > Search Engines

c) You have a multi-engine search with by default 5 engines (you can change number and engines).
d) You can change the default engine:

Tools > Web Search > Define by default

For the use of search:
----------------------
You can use 4 ways:

a) The search button:

Click it and enter the string, the basic way which search the string with the default engine.

b) The URL bar + the Search button:

Enter the string in the URL bar and click the button. Same thing as the previous case.

c) Like a) and b), but clicking right (or long left click), and you can bypass default engine and choose one of your defined engines)

d) Mark text in a page and Search it with one of the your defined engines (using right-click or just the search button with the same feature the already given).

If you think K-Meleon has just (and not sure) basic search function, I think you're very hard to please.

Hoping my explanations help you.

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Posted by: Spinner
Date: August 11, 2007 11:54PM

I discovered this browser today, and I think it's great!

* Indeed, it uses much less resources than FireFox.
* It appears to be slightly than Firefox, maybe due to the above point.
* I have no problems with toolbars not staying in place, works fine here.
* I have no flicker in my windows toolbar either, not that I have seen yet anyway (Yes, I have plenty tabs/layers and go back and forth between them)
* Both layer-buttons work fine for me.
* As for skins, like I care smiling smiley I don't switch browser to save resources, just to spend it on useless skins smiling smiley
* However, I do agree about a seperate search field. I belive this is paramount to include, all other browsers have it and people are used to working that way. I fail to see why there should be reluctance towards implementing such a feature.

I will explain to you why this is important.
Right now, there is NO WAY you can search without taking your hands off the keyboard. In other browsers, you can TAB your way to the search-field, type the phrase and hit enter, then the search happens.

This also highlights another problem:
You can not go through the menues using your keyboard. Yes, ALT-F will bring up the file-menu, and you can scroll up and down through it, but you can no go right with the arrow-keys to open the next menu, which is a standard on Windows programs.

All in all, a great browser, but the lack of a seperate search-field (that submits when hitting enter) is missing.

Spinner

Date: August 12, 2007 09:26AM

I will explain to you why this is important.
Right now, there is NO WAY you can search without taking your hands off the keyboard. In other browsers, you can TAB your way to the search-field, type the phrase and hit enter, then the search happens.

The same here, as with others browser, you must send Tab key (and probably more than one), here, you can hit Ctrl-G, and you immediatly, without leaving the keyboard, can enter the string, to launch search with the default engine.

I'm sure, it's quicker than Tab keys.

To finish, with this very little problem, I'm making an extension which uses SearchBar kplugins, and manage the way to use it. I'm just waiting for rmn for little modification of this kplugins (I think that he's on holidays).

You can not go through the menues using your keyboard. Yes, ALT-F will bring up the file-menu, and you can scroll up and down through it, but you can no go right with the arrow-keys to open the next menu, which is a standard on Windows programs.

I agree, it's lacking.

So to resume, there is just the last feature which is missing. As we say in french :

- on n'arrache pas le nez à son gosse morveux
- on ne jette pas bébé avec l'eau du bain.

A little translation exercise, to do the feets in the sea ...

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Date: August 12, 2007 09:51AM

My apologies, I did not know about the CTRL-G search-popup, as I said, I just started using this browser smiling smiley

Two small questions:
1: Is the shortcut-key (CTRL-G) customizable anywhere?

2: Is there a way to install a plugin like AdBlock for this baby? winking smiley

- Spinner

Date: August 12, 2007 09:53AM

OH, and by the way, I still do not see the point of NOT implementing a search-input field in the top right section, like all other major browsers have, without having to use some plugin...

- Spinner

Date: August 12, 2007 10:38AM

Yes, the shortcuts are customizable. Two ways:

-the old: modify defaults\settings\accels.cfg
-the new: make a macro to change the shortcut (better, because, it won't be a problem for future updates.

AdBlockPlus extension has been adapted by the author to K-Meleon and is avalaible on his site, and also on my extension page (URL at the end of my post), with a lot of others extensions.

For the searchBar, I don't see the difference between a kplugin and inside K-Meleon.exe, except the advantage of the first solution (the one we use), that a guy which don't want it haven't to do something to hide it. Second reason, K-Meleon doesn't use XUL to add extensions like Firefox, and it's not a disadvantage to use an extension.

A+

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2007 10:40AM by JujuLand.

Date: August 12, 2007 05:05PM

Thank you very much for your patience and your answers.
I realize that you must get a lot of "silly" questions, and you should be proud by the way you handle them smiling smiley

Respect.

Before you know it, I will recommend K-Melon to all 21.000 players of ManagerLeague winking smiley

- Spinner

Posted by: Miechu
Date: August 13, 2007 07:13AM

Translation via GoogleTranslate

- one does not tear off the nose with his kid snotty-nosed kid
- one does not throw baby with the water of the bath.

ps.
I'm also annoyed by the flickering caused by k in the taskbar... btw. can't you simply use one window? As I understand the k should be fast & light on resources - not easy to implement :p

Posted by: Miechu
Date: August 13, 2007 08:15AM

Btw. the pageflakes.com is fu under k... that's a big shame...

Posted by: Joe1962
Date: August 31, 2007 03:06PM

About the request for a separate search bar: I am mainly a SeaMonkey user, though I have liked and used K-meleon over the years (got my son recently hooked on it, lol). I personally much prefer the single URL/search bar in both of these, since I like to see as much of the URL or search string as possible. I don't see the point of a separate search bar, causing both bars to shrink in size. Not sure in K-meleon at the moment, but in SeaMonkey, when you type into the URL/search bar, you get a drop-down with the auto-complete suggestions and you will see that the first line is "Search for...". All it takes is Down-Arrow + Enter.

Posted by: matt
Date: August 31, 2007 09:03PM

there are many things i like about this browser,
1.) uses very little resoruces even when you have multiple tabs.
2.) the setting to automatic refresh page every 5 seconds. works good for travian and many other sites such as forums.
3.) it has a simple interface and easy to download on any computer without changing settings and having it want to dominate the internet.

i dont really like how the layers are setup, but i dont have a different suggestion about it either... just used to firefox layout.
the origional skin isnt that great, but it is easy to change it.

Posted by: Arrow
Date: September 13, 2007 04:02AM

As mentioned above it is far easier to search from the address bar.

1) type in enquiry
2) Hit Ctrl+g

At least thats how it works in Hao's K_M versions which I use.

I never use a search box even when I browse with firefox - use an alias like g in the address bar - search box is not needed plus it takes up toolbar space

Therefore i would say firefox is well behind in this regard because in my internet explorer shell browsers I can search from address bar or without need of url alias

Posted by: guenter
Date: September 14, 2007 06:28PM

To me the much wanted Firefox search box looks like K-Meleon Search Bar and that is a k-meleon plugin extension currently developed by rmn and can be found via Plugins section in Wiki.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2007 06:50PM by guenter.

Date: September 14, 2007 08:18PM

I'm waiting rmn to fix a little bug, and I'll send an extension (searchbar + options menu entries)

A+

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2007 08:18PM by JujuLand.

Posted by: caktus
Date: September 14, 2007 09:31PM

"you can no go right with the arrow-keys to open the next menu"

Using KM 1.1.2. I can navigate the toolbar menus and submenus ever which-a-way from the arrow keys.

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Date: September 15, 2007 09:14PM

Yes, but I think he's talking about main menu.

For example hit Alt-F (file menu opens), and try to go right or left.

It's impossible.

A+

Posted by: Will
Date: September 16, 2007 12:04AM

JujuLand
Yes, but I think he's talking about main menu.

For example hit Alt-F (file menu opens), and try to go right or left.

It's impossible.

A+

IIRC, that's Rebar Menu plugin fault. Try disabling it and you will be able to navigate left and right. Not a K-meleon bug.
In fact, I can't even say it's a bug, since the plugin is changing the menu into a bar *duh*

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2007 12:06AM by Will.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: September 17, 2007 01:25AM

I have the Rebar Menu enabled and I can use the Alt+F to open the file menu. There are no submenus under file, so only the down and up arrow keys work. If I use Alt+V for the view menu, I can use the down arrow to move to Reloading and the right arrow to open that item's submenu. I think this is what caktus meant.

Posted by: dpcdpc11
Date: September 18, 2007 01:37PM

seamonkey's way to search is really cool.. i'm also a seamonkey user... and i think there are a few things that K-meleon could borrow from it.
another way yo search that i like is the 'g+keyword' in the url bar method mentioned previously on another thread.
just make a new bookmark with this link: 'http://www.google.com/search?q=%s'; and add in the 'Nick' field the letter 'G'.
i guess this works for other search engines too.

Posted by: user
Date: September 18, 2007 09:05PM

seamonkey's way to search is really cool.. i'm also a seamonkey user... and i think there are a few things that K-meleon could borrow from it

what can seamonkey do as far as searching that k-meleon can't?

Posted by: dpcdpc11
Date: September 18, 2007 10:27PM

All it takes is Down-Arrow + Enter
.... thats what i reffering too... i dont see that in k-meleon.
even though i replaced that with the g+keyword method.

Posted by: Addy
Date: October 10, 2007 03:04PM

Since I have a turtle-speed connection, I frequently disable images and Javascript. But sometimes I have to switch them back on. Trouble is, there's no indicator about whether they're enabled or disabled.

A simple icon or a button on the toolbar would do

Otherwise, things are goin fine between me an' K-meleon

Date: October 10, 2007 03:09PM

If you enable privacy toolbar, you have buttons which indicates the different states.

A+

Date: October 10, 2007 05:48PM

View > Toolars > activate Privacy Bar ( Maybe also have a look into Your used skin. There are some buttons of Privacy Bar that are deactivated, Animations and Kill Applets may interest You on weeker PC ).

Posted by: caktus
Date: October 10, 2007 09:13PM

I too have a "turtle-speed connection" but KM is so fast that turning off these features doesn't seem to make the least difference.

Charlie

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Posted by: space_patroller_laser
Date: January 01, 2008 06:58AM

Overall, I like K-Meleon and want to use it but there are two things that sort of impede that. I realize the K-Meleion is a young project

1. The page is bigger than the window. I have to zoom out once at each page. I would like to zoom out once and stabilize the size permanently

2. I need to control the background/text colors, Most pages are black on white. The what glares. With IE and Fx, I've gone to options/colors" and reversed them so that I have white text on a black BG. I cannot find that option for K-Meleleon

I am a bit perturbed about having to add any new plig-ins in the manner suggested as I do not have confidence in my ability to follow the directions competently. On the other had, I do like the way you present it in the open-source manner. It's just that I'd like to start with training wheels then graduate to a racing machine

I also have another idea Multiple versions for different task loads, Here is an example
Version 1.xx.xx for general work like surfing
Version 2.xx.xx for text-heavy work with few images
Version 3.xx.xx for image-intensive work
Version 4.xx.xx for interactive/calculational work

I have an item that might make a good add-on. It is currently in my inventory to use with FireFox. It's called the Space Patrol Power Console and is at

http://www.spacepatrol.us/spconsolebeta.zip

It is not quite finished, But it may make an excellent add-on to K-Meleleon. In fact It might be the centerpiece for a K-melion/Space Patrol custom browser

Date: January 01, 2008 03:53PM

space_patroller_laser
I realize the K-Meleion is a young project

Galleon and K-Meleon started in the same year. They are the oldest browser only applications that use the Gecko engine. K-Meleon is 2 years or so older than Firefox. Not K-Meleon but Firefox clones the browser only concept.

space_patroller_laser
1. The page is bigger than the window. I have to zoom out once at each page. I would like to zoom out once and stabilize the size permanently

Apply the setting for it. Look into advanced settings - else ask for details in General Forum.

space_patroller_laser
2. I need to control the background/text colors, Most pages are black on white. The what glares. With IE and Fx, I've gone to options/colors" and reversed them so that I have white text on a black BG. I cannot find that option for K-Meleleon

Done by usercontent.css - use the one from Your Firefox if You have problems.
Else ask in General for details.

space_patroller_laser
I am a bit perturbed about having to add any new plig-ins in the manner suggested as I do not have confidence in my ability to follow the directions competently. On the other had, I do like the way you present it in the open-source manner. It's just that I'd like to start with training wheels then graduate to a racing machine

K-Meleon has standart Netscape plugins support ( Netscpae plugins = the plugin architecture used by all browsers except IE) out of the box. Support for ActiveX Plugins (IE plugins) can be installed with an installer.exe. Media Player activeX plugin is preconfigured others can be configured.

Many Netscape plugins will work without extra care.

For the Netscape plugins that do not work right away it is sufficient to copy Your Netscape (Firefox) or Opera plugins folder to K-Meleon plugins. Means if You install any of these commercial versions with plugins - then K-Meleon can use the installed plugins (but a Freeware GPL2 project cannot be issued with the sometimes proprietary plugins).

And K-Meleon project cannot take care for bugs in setup routines of plugins that prevent easy install of Netscape plugins for K-Meleon.

space_patroller_laser
I also have another idea Multiple versions for different task loads, Here is an example
Version 1.xx.xx for general work like surfing
Version 2.xx.xx for text-heavy work with few images
Version 3.xx.xx for image-intensive work
Version 4.xx.xx for interactive/calculational work

K-Meleon is the only current Windows based Gecko browser that can do that without using the command line - Use K-Meleon Profile manager and create a Profile for each use.

space_patroller_laser
I have an item that might make a good add-on. It is currently in my inventory to use with FireFox. It's called the Space Patrol Power Console and is at

http://www.spacepatrol.us/spconsolebeta.zip

It is not quite finished, But it may make an excellent add-on to K-Meleleon. In fact It might be the centerpiece for a K-melion/Space Patrol custom browser

Copy the plugin to K-Meleon plugins folder from Firefox plugins.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2008 04:20PM by guenter.

Posted by: space_patroller_laser
Date: January 01, 2008 05:38PM

I was under the impression that K-Meleion was a young project because it's still in version 1 and some of the things that weren't there led me to believe it was at an early level of development. It seems a bit stripped down. This also makes it attractive to someone who would like to gin up a hot-rod browser, Much of what I am used to like "Costomize the toolbar" menues with buttons, Accessibility devices (back to a Tools/options/colors dialog bx) aren't there or if there, not clearly identified. On the other hand the "under the hood" presentation bespeaks something that was intended to be "messed around " with. Now if there was a way to go from novice to skilled craftsman in an orderly fashion. I'm all for it

The thing about the colors setting being in a Tools/Options dialog box is that you can switch back and forth if need be between the page-defined color scheme and the user-defined color scheme. This is a far better Accessibility device than others

Much of what you suggest is abouve my pay grade in this matter. As I said earlier, I prefer to start with training wheels before I graduate to a racing machine. You don't fly the Space Shuttle until you've flown a Cessna trainer

I looked at the K-Meleion Folder and did not se a "Plugins". What I saw that looked close was a macros or something like that. I also saw a filetype, kmn or something lke that that I had never seen

Also much of what you say is in Browserspeak and makes little or no sense to me. There ought to be a way to go from a buck cadet to a hotshot pilot in an orderly fashion. I'm a notepad/html kind of guy with some very rudimentary abilities to use javascript. Anything with too many punctuation marks that do things makes me nervous at this time and css and javascript are loaded with them. I tend to leave vital things that I don't understaned strictly alone if they are active devices. Now If I cold create a "testbed" where I could fool around with, modify and test to my heart's content with these things and not blow up the ship, then I'd jump in feet first with both heads. One of the things I have is an exotic tryetype font htat I would use for the text parts of the browser like title bars and the like

From what I've seen K-Meleon could be the starter for custom,DIY and boutique browsers.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.