Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
Quick searches and address alias
Posted by: shadowman
Date: October 30, 2007 12:46AM

Hey dudes I think it's time to have quick searches, and address alias. I don't like using nicknames, and nick searches anymore. A lot of browsers already have them like Avant Browser, and TheWorld Browser. The problem I have is I have a lot of bookmarks, and a lot of the times I have nicknames that conflict with each other. I can't use mn nicksearch, and mn nickname at the same time. For some reason it just doesn't work, and just says "Wrong address." I loved this feature in other browsers as it makes getting to places much quicker, and easier. Thanks a lot dudes, and great job on the browser so far.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Quick searches and address alias
Posted by: JamesD
Date: October 30, 2007 08:07PM

Could you explain in more detail just what you need KM to do for a quick search. I don't understand the reference to nicknames. Perhaps that is because I use Favorites and not bookmarks. Sometimes macros can be written to include a function not found in the basic install.

Posted by: shadowman
Date: October 30, 2007 11:30PM

Nickname is you can put a nickname on the bookmark. You can put anything you want, and when you type in the nickname in the address bar, it will go to that site. Nicksearch uses the same nickname concept except you use a search engine of the site like blah/blah?search=%s, but you put bl as nick, then a space, and then the thing you want to search for. Afterwards you hit enter, or hit the "Go" button.

I have so many nicknames for websites, and searches that sometimes I mistakenly put the same one for different websites, and it's hard to keep track of this. I think another feature should be implemented to have Quick Searches, and Address Alias separately, and it will tell when you already gave a short word, or letters to define it. Works the same exact way as Nicknames, and Nicksearches.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: November 02, 2007 01:48AM

@ shadowman

Thank for the explanation. I have never used bookmarks so all this is new to me.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.