Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
Auto-save history while browser open
Posted by: mouse
Date: November 08, 2007 12:51PM

May be just me doing something wrong, but K- seems only to save to history.dat when you have closed all instances (inc. that created by loader). This seems to me to risk history loss if the browser or machine crashes. Maybe then, to prevent performance impacts, an option to save history every n minutes?

Mouse

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Auto-save history while browser open
Posted by: kko
Date: November 08, 2007 04:07PM

Are you sure? At least my km 1.5 is updating the history.dat whenever I close a window/tab...

Posted by: guenter
Date: November 08, 2007 11:33PM

1.1.2 (...beta) It only seems to update when a window is closed. Since I surf in one window for an hour the last history.dat dates from 23.35 and its 00.32. Few use it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2007 11:36PM by guenter.

Posted by: caktus
Date: November 09, 2007 02:48AM

1.1.2 is steel in beta?

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Posted by: guenter
Date: November 09, 2007 12:48PM

1.1.2 is not beta anymore.

I was referring to other later K-Meleon test versions. That is why I used brackets.
Sorry for beeing unclear - English is not my mother language.

Posted by: mouse
Date: November 21, 2007 09:49AM

My history file was left 12 hours with no updates.

Could be that it saves on closed window - maybe one was open with no UI representation - can happen with IE so I suppose could with K-. However it did seem to need loader closed as well. If I notice this behavoir again I will make another post.

My version is 1.1.2

Date: November 22, 2007 03:22AM

Speaking of history.dat. I just upgraded to K-MeleonCCF ME 0.08 Beta 2 from K-MeleonCCF ME 0.08 Beta 1. I still have many files in the histry.dat from Beta 1. Can I copy the contents of Beta 1's history.dat and paste it in Beta 2's history.dat. And if it is safe to do this, where should I paste it in Beta 2's history.dat.

Or is better to leave the new history file to it's own devices?

Thanks

Charlie

Posted by: desga2
Date: November 22, 2007 03:22PM

@ caktus:
I think that you says would work. You must do a backup of history.dat file and test it. Tell us your test results.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: November 23, 2007 02:35AM

@ desga2

Appearantly it connot be done. When I try to paste Beta 1's history into Beta 2's history.dat and save I got an error informing me that Beta 2's history.dat cannot be changed. Instead I was offered an option to save Beta 1's history as a .txt.

I tried coping all of both histories an pasted it into Notepad and attempted to save as Beta 2's history.dat again generating an error that it could not be saved as Beta 2's history.dat. I then attempted to delete Beta 2's history.dat hoping that then I could save the .txt with both histories as Beta 2's history.dat. But it generated another error informing me that Beta 2's history.dat cannot be deleted.

However, in Safe mode I was able to accomplish saving Beta 1's history to Beta 2's history.dat with no trouble at all.

So far so good. smiling smiley The sites I visited frequently with
Beta 1 seem to load a bit faster. But I assume this would also be true after visiting these sites frequently with Beta 2.

One small drawback. When I now visit www.forums.cnet.com, a page that almost never changes, big advertising place holders appear where ads would have loaded as in the following screenshot
http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2000170758076070174
But after a few visites the ad place holders nolonger show up.

Charlie

Charlie

Date: November 23, 2007 01:57PM

guenter
1.1.2 (...beta) It only seems to update when a window is closed. Since I surf in one window for an hour the last history.dat dates from 23.35 and its 00.32. Few use it.

When I least expect it, history becomes very valuable. And if I happen to be online at the time, it immediately pulls the up. smiling smiley

Charlie

Date: November 23, 2007 02:31PM

K-MeleonCCF ME 0.08 Beta 2

occasionally this morning I get:
---------------------------------------------
K-Meleon Web Browser has caused a peoblem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Error signature

AppName:K-meleon.exe AppVer: 1.5.0.0 ModName: necko.dll
ModVer:0.0.0.0 Offset: 0002b547

C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\c238_appcompat.txt
----------------------------------------------

The last thing I did last night, and prior to this error occuring this morning, was add Beta 1's history to Beta 2's history.dat.

Can some one advise me how to fix this?

Thanks.

Charlie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2007 02:31PM by caktus.

Date: November 23, 2007 08:20PM

If you have problems restore your original history files.
Wait a little time i try some test for updated history files between versions or different KM installations.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: November 24, 2007 12:45AM

desga2
If you have problems restore your original history files.
Wait a little time i try some test for updated history files between versions or different KM installations.

It has only occured a few times this morning and has not occured since. I think I'll give it a little more time and see how it goes.

Charlie

Date: December 01, 2007 07:46PM

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.