Google toolbar
Posted by: vero
Date: January 15, 2008 09:35AM

How can I install google toolbar on K Meleon? I'm so stucked to the bar,especially the bookmark icon. Can anybody help? Thanks a lot~o(∩_&#8745winking smileyo

Re: Google toolbar
Posted by: guenter
Date: January 15, 2008 06:38PM

vero
How can I install google toolbar on K Meleon?

NO, Google Toolbar extension does not support any use by K-meleon.
And K-Meleon does not support the Firefox XPI installer of this product.

vero
Can anybody help?

Yes, Google, the vendor, can alter their product for You.

PPL here are not allowed to help to modify the extension without the explicit permission of Google:
Google Toolbar's LICENSE.txt

... you first need to obtain Google's permission ... if you want to modify,... or create derivative works from the Google Toolbar.

p.s. Extensions are adapted by their creators or K-Meleon users that want to use them.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2008 10:07AM by guenter.

Date: January 18, 2008 05:54AM

And K-Meleon does support the Firefox XPI installer of this product.

Did you mean that GOOGLE TOOLBAR can be installed into K Meleon if I got the googletoolbar XPI installer file(not through the web install) and drag it into K Meleon?

Thanks again~smiling smiley

Date: January 18, 2008 10:15AM

I forgot a NO. Sorry about it.

XPI = a zip archive that auto installs for Firefox... K-Meleon's XPI install servive has been deactivated. It would not install Firefox XPI anyway.
I have unpacked Googlebar.XPI a while ago & tried to install it manually.

It does not work with K-Meleon.

Date: January 23, 2008 03:04AM

Thank you anyway~smiling smiley

Date: January 23, 2008 03:24AM

What 4 ? I did it to get Page rank service - not 2 prudent to use this with my default browser grinning smiley
Better to have it with FFox - which I hardly start due to his real slow start-up speed. tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: Bob Bowen
Date: July 10, 2008 09:04PM

I just love K-Meleon. It's light and fast and does an excellent job of browsing. It never fails. Come on Google, make us a Toolbar please with page rank, the lot. We K-Meleon users really need a G00000000gle Toolbar!!! Beg (sob!) Beg! Best regards, Bob.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: July 10, 2008 10:54PM

The page rank for the current document is available with this macro in the MacroLibrary. http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/KmmGoPgRank

I don't use added toolbars myself so I don't know what other things a Google Toolbar might provide.

Posted by: desga2
Date: July 11, 2008 05:44PM

Bob Bowen
I just love K-Meleon. It's light and fast and does an excellent job of browsing. It never fails. Come on Google, make us a Toolbar please with page rank, the lot. We K-Meleon users really need a G00000000gle Toolbar!!! Beg (sob!) Beg! Best regards, Bob.

Send this message to Google developers. smiling smiley
We can't do nothing about this.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: Mike
Date: July 14, 2008 01:30AM

JamesD
I don't use added toolbars myself so I don't know what other things a Google Toolbar might provide.

Main thing I use google toolbar for us I get the same favourites where ever I go. If I add something at work, it's there when I come home. Mighty nice.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: July 14, 2008 03:33PM

OK, I understand now. Thanks.

I don't do anything that fancy. When we go on vacation I just copy the IE Favorites folder from the desktop computer to the laptop computer. I am retired so I don't have an office computer.

Posted by: suggestion
Date: July 31, 2008 04:46PM

please no google toolbar, as this is only spyware.

Posted by: MIke s
Date: March 13, 2010 11:17AM

Mike
WHat Da Hell its not for k-meleon only for firefox and Ie (internet explorer
JamesD

Main thing I use google toolbar for us I get the same favourites where ever I go. If I add something at work, it's there when I come home. Mighty nice.

Posted by: timtak
Date: June 09, 2010 09:14AM

The amalgamation of url input and search input is a nice idea but, there are a couple of things I miss about a search bar:

Icons for Search in Page
The google search bar, and other search bars, show a list of searched words to the right of the entry box, that can be clicked to search in the page, and or highlighted.

Enter to Search
One can type and press enter, rather than type and then press the globe with magnifying glass. If I enter search words in the URL and press return I get a warning saying that the URL is not well formed.

The search bar plugin link does not work.
http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/KPlugins
(It is amazing how few plugins there are on the above page)

I am still enjoying K-Meleon.

Tim

Posted by: jsnj
Date: June 09, 2010 02:29PM

timtak
The amalgamation of url input and search input is a nice idea but, there are a couple of things I miss about a search bar:

Icons for Search in Page
The google search bar, and other search bars, show a list of searched words to the right of the entry box, that can be clicked to search in the page, and or highlighted.

Enter to Search
One can type and press enter, rather than type and then press the globe with magnifying glass. If I enter search words in the URL and press return I get a warning saying that the URL is not well formed.

I am still enjoying K-Meleon.

Tim

Search+ may have some features you may like. Not exactly what you describe above though.

For "Enter to Search" go to Preferences - Browsing - Finding Websites and check the box under Keyword Autosearch. You can also choose the search engine there. That allows you to press Enter from the URL bar to search automatically whenever a URL isn't found. For a direct search, you can use CTRL G after typing into the URL bar to or ALT ENTER if using Search+

Also check K-Meleon Extensions Central for a search bar plugin. It doesn't have the features you describe though.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2010 02:34PM by jsnj.

Date: June 09, 2010 06:39PM

There is no way and time to port all Firefox plugins.

timtak
Icons for Search in Page

Enter to Search

1.) F3. The page search has icons.

2.) F2 & Change find settings what to do when no URL found.

3.) Is one of three such pages. Some more links to extensions.

Posted by: siria
Date: June 09, 2010 07:14PM

guenter
1.) F3. The page search has icons.
3.) Is one of three such pages. Some more links to extensions.

Starting with 3.), macro archives: I still keep wondering why the macrolibrary is not included there... In the macro stuff in Resources (or where that was exactly) the link to the forum macros was deleted again, and here in the forum the link to the wiki isn't given, it's a bit confusing me ;-)

1.) Icons for Find in Page: I couldn't believe it, but after verifying am shocked to find it's true - in the default skins are no Find-in-Page-Icons! Not just hidden, but not at all in the toolbars.cfg :O

Anyways, timtak, you CAN have icons for that, like for nearly all commands in KM (incl. user macros). It's just that the various buttons and their various actions are configured in the individual skin folders, each has its own "toolbars.cfg". Either look for a skin that has those buttons already included (like classiria :cool: but many don't like the tiny and ancient icons), or you can add buttons manually to any skin you want. It's just that you need some icon image for it.

The "Klassic" skin does have some icons for it, on the menu.bmp line, number 11-13. If you happen to use this skin, adding the buttons manually goes like this:
Edit > Configuration > Toolbars

Find the toolbar for the search icons (guess it contains also Search-in-Web?).
And add the three buttons. Add # at beginning to hide a button:

&Search Buttons{

Find{
ID_EDIT_FIND|Find
&Find In Page. Right-click for more options.
menu.bmp[11]
menu.bmp[11]
}

Find Next{
ID_EDIT_FINDNEXT|Find
Find Ne&xt
menu.bmp[12]
menu.bmp[12]
}

# Find Previous{
# ID_EDIT_FINDPREV|Find
# Find Pre&vious
# menu.bmp[13]
# menu.bmp[13]
# }

Oh, almost forgot!! Have you tried searching in a page without clicking anything first? Just start typing out of the blue...? smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2010 07:17PM by siria.

Date: June 09, 2010 09:52PM

siria

1.) Icons for Find in Page: I couldn't believe it, but after verifying am shocked to find it's true - in the default skins are no Find-in-Page-Icons! Not just hidden, but not at all in the toolbars.cfg :O

No reference in toolbars.cfg is needed. Panoramas findhot.bmp & findcold.bmp in the skin folder are what's needed for the Find-In-Page bar at the bottom. They are included in Phoenity which is the default skin.

Date: June 09, 2010 10:26PM

findhot.bmp and findcold.bmp are in phoenity and also in future phoenity aura.
Only a default skin must have all icons and images (or try to)

Adding, You can copy missing files to any other skin that does not have them e.g. to Phoenity(Large) or Klassic. As indicated by jsnj they are used automatically. smiling smiley

BTW. The new 1.6 Aura skin has particularly many images. Besides the icons Aura skin has more pics used by menuicons.cfg that references menu1.bmp and menu2.bmp.

p.s. It is with all icons and pics that are listed in the exe.
Exe does not complain when missing & will use them automatically when present.

@ siria: If You need Aura style menu pics done with magic pink, contact me, maybe that is good for Win98 - which does not support alpha channel smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2010 10:43PM by guenter.

Date: June 11, 2010 08:45AM

Thank you everyone for the advice above.

It took me a while to get my act together and install the search bar. I did not really understand the discussion about the skin. I am using the default skin.

I have the search bar in position. It is useful because sometimes entering keywords in the URL bar does not work. E.g. I entered kmextensions into the url bar and was taken to a place selling hair extensions. At least with the search bar I can be sure I will go to google.

I like the fact that one can type, or use CTRL F, but it still seems that I will have to search, or type, twice.

Tim

Date: June 11, 2010 04:09PM

timtak
sometimes entering keywords in the URL bar does not work. E.g. I entered kmextensions into the url bar and was taken to a place selling hair extensions. At least with the search bar I can be sure I will go to google.

F2(Preferences) - Browsing - Finding Websites - Keyword Autosearch - Search Engine.

Choose Google.

timtak
I like the fact that one can type, or use CTRL F, but it still seems that I will have to search, or type, twice.

Tim

If you mean automatically highlighting the search query in the page after you perform the search, Search+ has that feature. You'd just have to get used to using ALT+ENTER instead of ENTER to search from the URL bar.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2010 04:34PM by jsnj.

Date: June 12, 2010 06:11AM

Thank you very much for your kind attention.
jsnj
F2(Preferences) - Browsing - Finding Websites - Keyword Autosearch - Search Engine.

Thank you but I already have that set, but still get the hair extensions when I type kmextensions followed by return in the url bar.

timtak
Tim

jsnj
If you mean automatically highlighting the search query in the page after you perform the search,

I mean I don't want to have to type the search text twice to find (that is to say jump to, have the cursor positioned at) it.

I will look into the other search options at kmextensions, when I have found them ;-)

Tim

Posted by: desga2
Date: June 12, 2010 05:31PM

kmextensions web page is: http://kmext.sourceforge.net/
If you are searching for it in Google search it like "kmext".

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2010 05:32PM by desga2.

Date: June 13, 2010 08:09AM

kmextensions is merely an example.

Many other search terms also result in websites other than google it seems.

The main problem is that to search for a term it seems to be necessary to search for it twice, once on the web, and again in the page. Which for a fast browser seems notably slow.

Posted by: siria
Date: June 13, 2010 09:36AM

LOL! Must admit I always get a huge grin when reading about your "hair extensions" for kmext! grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley

Anyway, I think I'm not the only one who's a bit confused about what exactly we're talking, because here we know "web search" and "find in page" as 2 different things, and it somehow sounds a bit mixed up, and in particular I'm not sure what you mean with searching twice... *confused*

Haven't tried the Search+ extension yet, so can only tell about the native functions, as far as I know them:

1) For searching the web there's the globe button.
Just almost never use it personally, usually easier to type in the URL bar and hit enter. Yes, when it's just a single word, KM looks it up as domain first. There's perhaps another setting, mentioned in the posts above, but frankly I like that combined way in a single toolbar, so if searching for single words, I either include it in " ", or do move the mouse over to that globe button, or use Ctrl+G or whatever other ways there may be ;-)

2) For "Find in page" there's Ctrl+F, or for button fanatics (like me) a looking glass button (either predefined in some skins' toolbars.cfg, or manually added there). Both ways pop up the find bar at the bottom. And that contains a "highlight" button to highlight all hits in that page.
There also a way 3, my fave, just typing out of the blue smiling smiley Guess be default it is disabled, to switch on one must click
Edit > Page Search > Find as you type > automatically

So, am I assuming this right that you'd like to type something in URL bar, hit enter to get the google results page, and when opening a result have the search words highlighted automatically? Like of you open them by clicking "cache" on google results?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2010 09:39AM by siria.

Date: June 13, 2010 04:21PM

timtak
kmextensions is merely an example.

Many other search terms also result in websites other than google it seems.

Make sure that the keyword autosearch search engine is Google or Google 100, NOT Google Browse by name or I'm Feeling Lucky. If you choose just Google, the standard search page comes up, not the first discovered site. I just tested it with the term "kmextensions".

timtak
The main problem is that to search for a term it seems to be necessary to search for it twice, once on the web, and again in the page. Which for a fast browser seems notably slow.

The feature you ask for is from a Google extension, not from the browser itself. So this has nothing to do with the browser's speed. If all you need is a button to automatically find the search term in the page, then that can probably be provided in an extension by me, desga, siria, disrupted or a few others hovering around the forums.

Date: June 14, 2010 03:06AM

First of all, with regard to the hair extensions, I am sorry. I had set (by default?) "Google browse by name" which I was unaware was different from Google.

As for the need for searching twice...I am sorry for the confusion.

Once apon a time seaching the web and searching in a page were two different things, but a few years ago arrived seach bars with seach in page functionality.

Here is Maxthon's search bar with buttons, circled in red, for searching the page.

Here is the Google search bar in IE6 with buttons, circled in red, for searching the page.

Tim

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2010 03:08AM by timtak.

Posted by: SoerenB
Date: June 14, 2010 12:55PM

Hi, timtak,

well, after having sorted out the hair thing, maybe you should try starting again - that is, deactivate the searchBar, and finally install the Search+ extension.
It really does have all the features you asked for, just for the price of the effort learning how to configure and use it.
That does take an hour or two, but you are done after that. Maybe you'll find, in that thread, that I myself were not convinced easily then ...

Edit: it's in this "Find in Page" thread that I was convinced.

Cheers
SoerenB

Back again ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2010 01:01PM by SoerenB.

Date: June 14, 2010 04:10PM

I have installed Search+ but I am not seeing a way of finding (jumping to) the web-searched term in the search results, without retyping it.

Is there a way?

Date: June 14, 2010 04:14PM

timtak
I have installed Search+ but I am not seeing a way of finding (jumping to) the web-searched term in the search results, without retyping it.

Is there a way?

No. It has the auto-highlight function, but not the auto Find-in-page feature. I'll see if I can add that option in seamlessly in the next day or 2.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.