Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
What kills kmeleon is this old homepage.
Posted by: Kubiak
Date: April 18, 2008 02:55AM

When I recommend kmeleon, people enter to this page and says:

Whats this??¿?, I don't have time to waist, bye bye!

and maybe they are loosing one of the best things they could ever do in internet life, installing kmeleon.

I love kmeleon, is superfast, light and solid as a rock.

but is a pitty that this old boring homepage kills an excellent project as kmeleon is.

Please, put some nice screenshots in the front page, make then know that this is a browser!! Make people want to install it! Place a huge nice download button, as every browser homepage does.

Greatings

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What kills kmeleon is this old homepage.
Posted by: desga2
Date: April 18, 2008 06:09AM

K-Meleon browser isn't as every browser. tongue sticking out smiley

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: caktus
Date: April 18, 2008 08:22PM

Kubiak
people enter to this page and says:

The only Home page I am aware of is
[http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/]

What is the exact URL of the page to which you allude.

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Posted by: 666
Date: April 21, 2008 06:54PM

kmeleon.sourceforge.net is not very inviting. Too many details that few people care about, not enough emphasis on the things that really matter. Making every other word a light blue link on a white background doesn't really help either: the homepage doesn't need to look like a Wikipedia entry.
The current homepage sort of screams: "K-Meleon is a tool for geeks who code HTML in Notepad and navigate their overclocked computers through the command line." That's not the way to attract new users who just want to doubleclick something and have it work without having to bother with all sorts of minor details.

Let's take the opening paragraph:

K-Meleon is an extremely fast, customizable, lightweight web browser for the Win32 (Windows) platform based on the Gecko layout engine (the rendering engine of Mozilla). K-Meleon is free, open source software released under the GNU General Public License.

"Fast," "customisable," and "lightweight" is what makes K-Meleon an attractive browser, so these three words needs to be big, bold, and clear.
"Win32," "Gecko," and "GNU" is stuff for in a footnote at the bottom of page 6. Some people care about these things, most people don't.

Second paragraph:

You may read through the list of Features available in K-Meleon before you Download the latest release version to try it out. You can also see some Screenshots first if you want to know what K-Meleon looks like.

"Latest release version?" As if a first time user cares about older releases or experimental beta versions. A link to the latest version that works, that's more than enough for the homepage.
A "list of features" that requires me to click away from the main page? Can't we replace this with a short description of the two or three unique selling points, illustrate this with one or two (thumbnails that link to some) screenshots? Let's put a link to the full list of features in the navigation bar on the left side of the page, and add a big bright button to open the download page instead of that tiny link that's easily overlooked in between all those other, similarly formatted links.

Third:

The latest information on K-Meleon's development is found in the News section. Other news, including links to external articles and reviews of K-Meleon can be found at the PressCenter.

A link to the news section and press center in the navigation strip will suffice. The third paragraph can be removed from the landing page.

The rest of the homepage can be streamlined in a similar way. A single paragraph, a thumbnail of a screenshot or two, a couple of keywords that are not buried in lengthy sentences, and a large button that leaves no doubt about where to click to get to the download page.

Date: April 21, 2008 08:41PM

My vote is for "K-Meleon is a tool for geeks who code HTML in Notepad and navigate their overclocked computers through the command line."

I like K-Meleon as tool for GEEKS. tongue sticking out smiley

(Really not for geeks else for people that know read and read, not look beatiful images and ask about all in forum without read Documentation first)

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: caktus
Date: April 21, 2008 09:41PM

It's all about conveying information. Who wants to waste time and file-space loading junk. KM isn't trying to attract buyer's. So why build a forest where there are no trees? Bells and whistles are for Povlov's dogs and flashing lights for cop's.

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Posted by: JujuLand
Date: April 22, 2008 07:03AM

My vote is for "K-Meleon is a tool for geeks who code HTML in Notepad and navigate their overclocked computers through the command line."

What is the more important: appearance or efficiency ?

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Date: April 23, 2008 05:04PM

K-Meleons's homepage is not at all efficient.

Posted by: Dorian
Date: April 26, 2008 06:11PM

That's obvious. We just need someone to do it.

Date: April 26, 2008 10:06PM

Would this be a good start?

k-meleon_homezip: http://ifile.it/3852tgk

Date: April 27, 2008 12:42AM

Yes! and we put some funny image as this at right side of text:

Image made with PhotoShape Classic 1.1 (Freeware)

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2008 12:48AM by desga2.

Posted by: Dorian
Date: May 01, 2008 08:45AM

Would this be a good start?

k-meleon_homezip: http://ifile.it/3852tgk

I think we need to be a bit more creative here

Posted by: Unnamed
Date: May 01, 2008 03:29PM

When I recommend kmeleon, people enter to this page and says:

I don't think those using-Internet Explorer kind of people would be able to cope with K-Meleon. K-Meleon is a browser for more advanced users. Maybe try introducing them to Firefox first?

Date: May 09, 2008 06:40AM

Everyone can use K-M. There's no need to attack all those config files with a text editor if you don't want to.

Posted by: bob dole
Date: May 09, 2008 10:12PM

Everyone can use K-M. There's no need to attack all those config files with a text editor if you don't want to.

i agree with this. i like this web browser. i found it from a review on open source web browsers. i didnt think much of it from the homepage, but it has been proven to be very useful. i dont take the time to edit config files or attack macros and command lines. it would be nice if there was a quick help shortcut keys guide included with it though. i never new middle click will close a tab. i recently found out that double clicking closes the tab. this makes things easiear. open last layers is also nice. or ctrl-g to search. this brouser has many uses.

Posted by: Tom
Date: May 10, 2008 10:30PM

Kmeleon for geeks only?????

Kmeleon browser is ready for the masses!

Posted by: Arual the Wyrd
Date: June 28, 2008 03:15AM

We could have a S3xy K-M Screenshot Contest. i won't enter, my weblizard is too geeky.

The biggest problem is, only a small percentage of the surfing public is capable of dealing with an unfamiliar interface. They have no idea what they are doing, don't know what is in their own computers.

A few days ago, someone asked me how she got into "this page" when she opened Yahoo to get her e-mail. Well...there was an Excel file on the desktop (it was her husband's computer) named Yahoo_something - or - other. She hit it because it said Yahoo.

When people tell me that they "can't get on the Internet" I have to go through a long question and answer session to find out what they mean by that. Usually it is not a connection problem, they just can't find the shortcut to Internet Explorer.

It's sad, but they are never going to use K-Meleon. Jazzing up the home page won't help that.

Posted by: Eugen Mezei
Date: July 11, 2008 02:07PM

It is simple, you install them K-Meleon and they will use it. They will use anything you give them and to be honest, why should it be more difficult to get used with K-M then with any other browser? It is just a matter of with which you have first contact.

Eugen

Posted by: DasFox
Date: July 31, 2008 02:44AM

I'm going to make a post with a different twist that people aren't looking at...

Posted by: datiswous
Date: August 12, 2008 10:37AM

When I have made content, which can be used for the website, or other content, who can I contact?

It's a bit too difficult to find a contact to send stuff to, especially when it doesn't fit in a specific catogory named on the website (like skins).

Posted by: guenter
Date: August 13, 2008 02:11AM

I have never tried but PPL that have a K-Meleon bug tracker account seem to be able to write in the wiki.

Forum posts show real contact mail for some PPL / some posts refer to wiki pages where they posted info such as macros (- I am certain that e.g. alain can write in the wiki ( if You find no other way contact one that has posted in wiki ).

Greeting to beautiful .NL from .DE

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.