Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Spellchecker
Posted by: Beogradoholik
Date: June 08, 2008 06:59PM

For us non-english speaking users, a spellchecker would be of a *great* help!!! Oper, Firefox, Maxthon have it!(-:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spellchecker
Posted by: JujuLand
Date: June 08, 2008 07:25PM

Spellchecker is already available for K-Meleon since a few month...

Look at my Extension page

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Posted by: guenter
Date: June 09, 2008 09:57PM

AFAIK two spellcheckers:
Aspell
and
something like Mozilla spellchecker

on alain's pages - greetings to YU (beautiful Beograd?)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2008 10:00PM by guenter.

Date: June 10, 2008 11:41AM

guenter
AFAIK two spellcheckers:
Aspell
and

Wow I'm really impressed that someone here knows my city!(-: Yes, I'm a big BG local-patriot.... as you can see from my nick!(((-: And, _a big_ thanks to all who helped!

Date: June 10, 2008 12:05PM

guenter
AFAIK two spellcheckers:
Aspell
and

I downloaded both files, but still nothing is happening! Where did I go wrong?

Date: June 10, 2008 02:01PM

You install the extension. That gives You the infra structure to use spell checker.

Next: You need a dictionary. A dictionary is not with alain's files
( a dictionary is not included because most PPL want their native language plus perhaps English & the installer files are for many languages - alain would have his native fr-FR dictionary, and You would want one from YU - and I use de-DE smiling smiley )

I have the files (en-US.aff, en-US.dic, de-DE.aff and de-DE.dic) in a K-Meleon subfolder called "dictionaries".

I got the files from my Thunderbird installs.

p.s. I use the Mozilla spell checker. So I do not know about the other.
When this forum edit field is used the right click menue has an item "Spell Checker" that lets me change between the two dictionaries/languages.

You can probably also have both (Serbian and English). I think the dictionaries are all You need / else create Your native K-Meleon smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2008 02:03PM by guenter.

Date: June 10, 2008 03:21PM

STUPID ME!!!! I forgot the _obvious_ - dictioinaries!(-: Unbelievable(-:

Date: June 10, 2008 08:31PM

It is not obvious - & Welcome to the crowd - I also did not see it first grinning smiley

Date: June 11, 2008 07:38AM

I have tried to make Aspell work with K-Meleon there is a few month. It's really a pain to make it work with K-Meleon.

So I really prefer and advise to use K-Meleon's Mozilla Spellchecker port.

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Date: June 11, 2008 10:41AM

@alain: IMHO Your adaption of Mozilla spell checker should be included by default.

p.s. The different national dictionaries are no problem in the national issues smiling smiley

I would not waste effort into yet another spell checker (unless You use it Yourself).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2008 10:44AM by guenter.

Posted by: gvgerman
Date: June 11, 2008 12:32PM

@alain:
@guenter:
I've unzipped the Mozilla spellchecker found on Alain's site into my KM folder and - after restart - the plugin was found and I have found the feature in the "right-click" menu, but could not figure out how to make it actually work. So, I'm certain I am not doing all the steps to complete the installation. Any guesses as to what I might be missing would be appreciated.
Thanks,

Date: June 11, 2008 03:54PM

@gvgerman,

you have not to take the zip file which is the setup script with, that's right all the needed files, but in the tab just under, where are available all the setups. It's easier to use smiling smiley

For using it, as you have the menu, it seems to be ok.

The Spell Checker menu allows you to :

- change the dictionary,
- set the default language dictionary.
- change the dictionary folder (you can take the distionary folder of other programs like Thunderbird, Firefox, OpenOffice...)
- correct misspelled words
- enable or disable the spell checker

I have set a shortcut an accel to quickly have purposed corrections and generally spell Checker menu.

Just hit Ctrl+* when textarea has the focus, and you'll have the menu.

Hitting Ctrl-* when cursor is located on a misspelled word opens directly the correction menu. It's quicker than with mouse, just hit the accel, choose the word, validate with enter, and continue.

A+

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2008 03:55PM by JujuLand.

Date: June 11, 2008 08:11PM

with me only choose dictionaries, set default and disable are found (what can i have done wrong?)

Posted by: kko
Date: June 11, 2008 08:33PM

You have to position the cursor in the misspelled word first. Then right-click.

Date: June 11, 2008 08:33PM

@guenter,

I suppose you haven't taken the last setup.

A+

Date: June 12, 2008 10:00AM

OK. I will update and then try kko's solution smiling smiley

Posted by: gvgerman
Date: June 12, 2008 12:35PM

@alain,

Thank you for your reply. I installed your extension and it is working well. Actually, now that I know how the spell checker works, the zip file approach did not work, in retrospect.

Thank you - and guenter! - for all the work you do here with KM.

Much appreciated!

Date: June 12, 2008 04:35PM

I repeat, the zip file is not for setup purpose, but the source of the setup.

I have changed the link to allow users to go directly to setups.

A+

Date: June 13, 2008 09:02AM

JujuLand
I have tried to make Aspell work with K-Meleon there is a few month. It's really a pain to make it work with K-Meleon.

So I really prefer and advise to use K-Meleon's Mozilla Spellchecker port.

A+

I agree 100% Aspell opens command prompt which is not easy to use! I prefere Mozilla's spell checker.

Posted by: Leopoldus
Date: June 23, 2010 03:22PM

It seems, that I have the same trouble with spellchecker's context menu as guenter had two years ago. I can't get this list with variants of spelling for the misspelled word neither I can assign the alter location of dictionaries, as it is shown at this image.

Instead I get only the shorten context menu even when I position the cursor in the misspelled word.
Besides I have no any new entry [SpellCheck Configuration] in the menu Edit -> Configuration, as it is stated in the descripton here. And there are numerous of other issues as well sad smiley

Has anyboy any idea, what might be the reason of this issue?

Thanks!

Posted by: desga2
Date: June 24, 2010 07:07PM

Are you tried this other spellcheker?
Could be other version better.
Are you sure to have some dictionary in spellcheker folder?

Spellchecker worked with Firefox 2 dictionaries, but I don't know if this kplugin work with Firefox 3 dictionaries.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: June 25, 2010 06:52PM

desga2
Are you tried this other spellcheker?
Could be other version better.

Yes, I am tried this variant too. Actually I've them the both installed.

Are you sure to have some dictionary in spellcheker folder?
Spellchecker worked with Firefox 2 dictionaries, but I don't know if this kplugin work with Firefox 3 dictionaries.

Yes, I'm quite sure (please look at the picture). Some of those files are native K-Meleon dictionaries, which were included in the original package
from this page http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/file.php?4,file=199,filename=dictionaries.zip.
So I'm afraid, that the cause of the issue in somewhere else. But where exactly?

Date: June 25, 2010 09:05PM

I didn't remember how it works, as there is a long time I'm made this package, but you can't see purposed words using right-click on the underlined word, but using Ctrl-* on the underlined word.

I agree it's not too much easy to use, but the kplugin doesn't allows a better way.

To change the location of the dictionnaries, you must hit Alt-* key.

In the package offered on my page, there is a bug in translation. The kml file must be saved in utf-8 format, but I think there is no problem with en-US or en-GB

A+

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2010 09:06PM by JujuLand.

Date: June 26, 2010 02:21PM

JujuLand
you can't see purposed words using right-click on the underlined word, but using Ctrl-* on the underlined word.
... To change the location of the dictionnaries, you must hit Alt-* key.

Wow! This works! Thanks you for the advice and certainly for your so-much-needed plugin too.

I agree it's not too much easy to use, but the kplugin doesn't allows a better way.

Well, but there in forum (in the current topic and in the topic some guys state, that it should work via mouse right click as well (look at this post or this one).
BTW my menu entries are different from those original: I have no any new entry [SpellCheck Configuration] in the menu Edit -> Configuration, as it is stated in the description here.

Date: July 01, 2010 07:46PM

The plugin have been made by mark307, I only made the macro.

A+

Posted by: panzer
Date: July 08, 2010 08:16AM

I had some problems with my profile. I have set a new clean portable version, installed all extensions from previous Km and after first restart the same problem occured.

Bookmarks were gone,icons were all over the place since cache files and icons to disk were checked in preferences, skin was set to default and so on. No major problem, just it nagged me to do this every time I opened it. Profilebackup did not solve the issue.

Since at opening Km asked me about spellchecker and a searchbarext and since I recently installed Search 1.0.4, I uninstalled all three of them. I installed searchbarext back - all was Ok. With spellcheck - same problem. I uninstalled it and installed Search. All OK.

It looks like Spellcheck does not like one of the new extensions (Readability, capplus, alexapps, url_void, rsautovait, filesindexer, linksextractor, ...). Now, without it (i. e. K-Ext110_SpellCheck.exe), Km loads without problem (I several times tried and managed to open and close it without partially loss of profile. I tried it on public comp and it was all OK).

If some of you have the same problem, try to uninstall spelchecker (old version). I have not tried new version. But I do not think a lot of people would have the same problem since they do not have as many macros installed as I do.

Posted by: panzer
Date: July 08, 2010 08:18AM

Beogradoholik
guenter
AFAIK two spellcheckers:
Aspell
and

Wow I'm really impressed that someone here knows my city!(-: Yes, I'm a big BG local-patriot.... as you can see from my nick!(((-:

Beograd od Niša do Novog Sada! winking smiley

Date: July 08, 2010 09:13AM

Can you give the km version affected by this problem?
Can you have a look to the console (Tools > Console) and report the possible errors or warnings ?

I personnaly use spellchecker with 1.5.4 without problem, except the kml file which isn't rightly encoded (ANSI instead of UTF-8) which is a problem for menus (incorrect with accent and or some particular caracters)

A+

Posted by: caktus
Date: July 09, 2010 08:40PM

Hi, guenter.

Speaking of the "not so obvious" can you, or someone please tell me where I can find a dictionary and how to apply it to Spellchecker? I have all of files from Spellchecker and manually moved them to the "apparently" correct locations. The C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\KM 1.5.4 new\dictionaries folder only has en-US.aff and en-US.dic
When I right-click on a word and select "Spell Checker" nothing happens.

Thanks you.

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Date: July 10, 2010 08:54AM

The default dictionnaries folder is located under K-Meleon root folder (dictionnaries) and can be set by hitting Alt * from within a textarea part of the page.

You can then set it to the value you want.

You can load different dictionaries from thunderbird extension website, or, quicker, use the openoffice dictionaries folder.

I was not sure that the version 3 of thunderbird uses the same dictionnaries, but I have tried it under linux with 3.2.0 which uses hunspell dictionaries, and it works without problem.

For Linux (wine), this folder is Z:\usr\share\hunspell
I don't remember for Windows but it must be something like C:\Program_files\openoffice\share\dict\ but you should easily found it by searching *.aff or *.dic

Remember just 2 points about this extension:

- the use and call is only avalaible from within textarea
- The two keys used for all the spellchecker functions are:
......Alt * to choose the dictionaries folder
......Ctrl * for dictionary choice and corrections

The default dictionaries folder has file named en-US (for example), instead of openoffice or thunderbird folders where files are names en_US (for example.

Just a little trick: when hitting Ctrl *, the action is different depending of the position of the text pointer. If it's located on an miss-spelled word, Ctrl * offered the correction contextual menu added with some settings entries, else, it just offers some settings entries.

To quickly correct a text, I first go to the first miss-spelled word, I hit Ctrl * to correct it, and I navigate then with Ctrl-Right ( or Ctrl-Left) to go to the hext word to correct.

A+

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2010 09:02AM by JujuLand.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.