Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
The maximum number of tabs has been reached!
Posted by: petrus
Date: December 02, 2008 04:17PM

I just got the error message "The maximum number of tabs has been reached!", looks to be around 100. I have posted before about using a lot of tabs and my wish for a multi row tab option to help manage my tabs. Since we don't have that yet I am going to try and use the session feature to manage my tabs, grouping some of them into sessions, which I can open as needed. That leads me to another request which is a better way to manage sessions, that is to be able to edit my sessions, (easily adding and deleting sessions).

Firefox extension of "Tab Mix Plus" has all of these features, but I gave up on Firefox as K-Meleon is much faster and is now my primary browser.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The maximum number of tabs has been reached!
Posted by: desga2
Date: December 02, 2008 05:55PM

All things have a limit! tongue sticking out smiley

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: December 02, 2008 06:00PM

LOL, you have a point.

I am fairly new to K-Meleon and I just realized that I can easily delete a session. I Still would like a multi row tab function though.

In spite of my "wish list" I am still a huge fan of K-Meleon!!!

Posted by: panzer
Date: December 02, 2008 06:01PM

Couldn't he just open 2 Kmeleon versions with 50 tabs open? Can this be done?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2008 06:01PM by panzer.

Date: December 02, 2008 06:13PM

panzer

I suppose I could do that, but I am inclined at this point to manage my large number of tabs through the session manager. I am going to create various sessions that I will call (for example) NEWS, FINANCE, MUSIC, SOFTWARE, BLOGS etc, and I can load the various sessions as needed.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Date: December 02, 2008 06:44PM

panzer

The most easy way to do this is the next:
Open a new tab, right click in new tab and select "Detach" option.
Now you have two K-Meleon windows.

If you like open two or more diferent K-Meleon versions or different profiles (configuration, sessions) you can use command line parameter "-new" to run K-Meleon. For example:
C:\K-Meleon1.1.6\k-meleon.exe -new
C:\K-Meleon1.5.2RC\k-meleon.exe -new

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: December 02, 2008 08:10PM

Thanks desga2. This is very useful. I am having good results using categorized sessions. With your suggestion I'm guessing that I can have different sessions running in separate windows. I'll try this later tonight when I have more time.

I really love the speed that I get with K-Meleon and now that I am learning more about how to configure K-Meleon to suit my personal browsing needs, I love it even more.

Thanks again.

Posted by: gdv
Date: December 29, 2008 10:00PM

petrus (& all)
petrus
I just got the error message "The maximum number of tabs has been reached!", looks to be around 100...I am going to try and use the session feature to manage my tabs, grouping some of them into sessions, which I can open as needed. That leads me to another request which is a better way to manage sessions, that is to be able to edit my sessions, (easily adding and deleting sessions).

I'm with you petrus in wanting a better way to view/manage/edit saved sessions. As you discovered, it's easy enough to add/delete them, and I think it's a great idea to manage them topically, if that works for you.

But like you, I often get so many tabs open that my browser and/or my machine bogs down or crashes; so I like to save sessions with some regularity so I can get back to everyplace I was surfing if there is a crash. Given the link-following nature of my surfing, the Tabs usually include a variety of different topics/tasks (e.g., email, banking/bill paying, music, hardware/software troubleshooting, professional research/continuing education, and several of the jillions of other interesting things I just happened to run across while surfing). So I usually save sessions with Date & Time in the name, and sometimes maybe include a topical word or two in the saved session name, if particularly important (e.g., "K-Meleon").

But later, sometimes, I'd like to be able to review the structure and content of saved sessions at a glance to see what's included. And it would be nice to be able to rename a session, and maybe even edit the contents of a session. The structure of saved sessions in Opera makes it easy to rename a session (in the Windows version, they are stored in a Sessions subfolder of the Opera Profile folder, each in its own separate text file with a .win extension and whatever name you originally gave it) and it is fairly easy to review or even edit the content of the session file in any text editor, as the structure in pretty clean and self-evident.

But in K-Meleon (to which I'm brand new as of yesterday, and really liking so far), I couldn't even find the saved sessions after two hours of searching every way I could think of, until I posted here on the K-Meleon forum (http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,87268) and learned they are stored in the "prefs.js" file in the Profile folder. If you look at the prefs.js file in a test editor, the saved sessions lines are those that begin with user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.sessions. But if your sessions have lots of tabs with lots of forward and back history for each tab, you'll see that the syntax and length of the lines makes it very difficult to read and make sense out any saved sessions.

I brought this concern up in that other thread and learned it is a little easier to at least see the basic structure of a saved session by using the method described by guenter in that thread:
guenter
gdv
that would make the saved sessions structure more evident than it is when I open it in a simple text editor (maybe visually, like a GUI, or something that might show the contents indented or in a tree structure)?

No. Nothing especially dedicated to that.

Go to Edit > Configuration > Browser Configuration (top item or go to URL about:config ) confirm that You know what you are doing - write "sessions" into the search mask. Then You can view Prefs that contain the word.

For now, that about:config view at least let's me get a quick idea what's in a session, but if you're interested and want to follow through that thread, you'll see that I'm wondering about a possible GUI that would allow users to view saved sessions in, perhaps, an expandable/collapsible folder/tree format somewhat like the History GUI in K-Meleon, and I'll probably write up a request along those lines here in this forum as soon as I get a chance.

Regards.

gdv

Posted by: zorobabel
Date: February 21, 2009 07:24AM

I've been hitting the tab limit myself, I wish the limit would be more generous. The tab bar is also limiting (I'm running 1.5.1), scrollable tabs or any method would be greatly apreciated.

I don't know if this is possible, but it would be great if I could run multiple instances of k-meleon independently, with modified program names, portable versions of course. I could dump at least 5-6 other browsers that way. I don't find the session manager way so convenient for grouping related tabs, I prefer to use different browsers for that ... but only a few browsers I can live with sad smiley. With multiple instances of modified k-meleons I would really save on memory load, it's such an economic browser smiling smiley

Date: February 21, 2009 08:10PM

@ zorobabel:

You can run multiple instances of K-Meleon with command line parameter -new, read Command line options documentation.

Also you can load different configurations using -P "profile name" command line option to start K-Meleon with different Profiles (Edit -> Manage Profiles ...).

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2009 08:10PM by desga2.

Posted by: disrupted
Date: February 23, 2009 02:42AM

about a gui for editing sessions; i think it's doable with autoit? desga knows autoit scripts way better than me(somewhat similar to lua?)but if readfile to array can extract the strings related to sessions only, it can then be easily displayed inside an autoit gui for alteration.. there's one problem though, since sessions are stored in prefs.js; any editing with the autoit gui will have to be done when k-meleon is closed or work only as a viewer if kmeleon is running.. it's a thought, maybe i'll try to work on it... but i think it would be best if the sessions kplugin itself contained the feature to modify sessions built-in... this can be added as an improvement request for the sessions kplugin

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.