Unable to save last used printer between sessions
Posted by: usul
Date: February 03, 2009 10:18AM

Hi,

Every time I start K-Meleon and try to print something it reverts me to a default system printer. Which would normally probably be a usefull feature is for me a huge pain since I, with a bunch of colleagues, use it as a base browser for a number of webapps that always and only print on specific printer (label printers, receipt printers, etc.).

Is there a way to make K-Meleon remember the last printer used between sessions? Better yet, is there a way to force it to use the printer defined in print.print_printer, as it seems to ignore the setting for me? Also, I've tried meddling with print.save_print_settings, print.use_global_printsettings and probably every "print." about:config value there is.

This is even more important for me since I'd hugely like to use the browser with print.always_print_silent enabled...

I'd cheer even for the most ugly hack to make K-Meleon print on one printer and that printer alone.

Thanks,
RS

Re: Unable to save last used printer between sessions
Posted by: desga2
Date: February 03, 2009 05:14PM
Date: February 03, 2009 11:42PM

Yes, that's what I've seen a lot on the forums.

It is however problematic for a lot of webapps, where the enduser is supposed to have to do as little as possible, preferably down to a one-click interface. Printing labels, etc. is a one example.

While searching for ways to solve my problem I've also come across others asking for ways to force printing behaviour on a browser. Since allowing that with javascript or so is an obvious security risk, I figure about:config is the way to go, like with the print.alwas_print_silent=true allowing you to skip the print dialog at all. Unfortunately you can't do that if you can't also force using the one desired printer...

Hence my problem.

Posted by: guenter
Date: February 04, 2009 02:46AM

Force always is done via user.js. In theory that overrules all other settings.

Date: February 05, 2009 09:33AM

That would be neat if K-Meleon actualy read the print.print_printer... to what I've managed to achieve it never does. I mean that whatever printer i set with that option it still always prints to system default... sad smiley

Date: February 09, 2009 10:49AM

Hi again,

Just a question, but is there any chance this will be fixed / added in future versions?
Again if any hack to this is possible, please please let me know smiling smiley

Best regards,
Roman

Posted by: desga2
Date: February 09, 2009 08:38PM

I haven't printer, but someone with printer could confirm this bug and open a bug reporter to fix it in next versions.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: guenter
Date: February 10, 2009 01:24AM

desga2
I haven't printer, but someone with printer could confirm this bug and open a bug reporter to fix it in next versions.

Seems to be bug - Andrew forwarded a similar problem via for mail list.

p.s. I have printer no network - but stand alone OS.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2009 01:24AM by guenter.

Date: February 18, 2009 02:57PM

FYI

Turns out the problem only exists when using File -> Print. Printing with javascript print() remembers the last used printer as if those two were totaly different functions.

Thanks for help and hits everyone and my best regards,

RS

Posted by: disrupted
Date: April 12, 2009 07:36PM

http://www.fetal.de/index.php?id=18

download setdefaultprinter from link above.. command line tool, launch kmeleon from it with the desired printer in the parameter and kmeleon will use that printer as default.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.