Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
Font issue
Posted by: gct
Date: April 18, 2009 09:48PM

Hi,

Font doesn't seem to be working while reading this site: http://www.madhyamam.com/ ... this page works fine on IE but doesnt work on Kmeleon ...

I downloaded & installed the font, played with various encoding settings, but it still doesnt work ...

Any help would be greatly appreciated ...

Thanx

-Gct

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Font issue
Posted by: disrupted
Date: April 19, 2009 01:58AM

yeah looks like a possible gecko bug.. i tried encoding with thai .closest thing in appearance or rendering to tamil.. but both firefox and kmeleon have the same problem in rendering.. ie works fine

kmeleon

ie

firefox

http://support.mozilla.com/tiki-view_forum_thread.php?locale=ca&forumId=1&comments_parentId=316542

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=156993&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

and that padma extension is bollocks by the way.. i installed it to fireshit and nothing changed.. there also might be an issue of that specific site not being standard when it comes to fonts..perhaps written with microsoft office or frontpage etc.. because it's very odd..the font is rendered in ie using western(iso).. typically it should use some sort of unicode utf

if you notice the bbc tamil page, it renders using unicode and the font is displayed correctly

i'd like to research this more...do you have any more websites having same tamil render problems?

this reminds me of a very old problem with armenian sites but it was the other way round.. back then, netscrape had better support for armenian remdering and ie had problems displaying them as they should.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2010 08:34AM by disrupted.

Posted by: guenter
Date: April 20, 2009 05:26AM

gct
Font doesn't seem to be working while reading this site: http://www.madhyamam.com/ ... this page works fine on IE but doesnt work on Kmeleon ...

I downloaded & installed the font, played with various encoding settings, but it still doesnt work ...

No engine except Trident (IE core) was able to detect the correct font.
I tried Opera (Presto), Iron (like google chrome), Qtweb & Dooble (KHTML), Firefox 3 (Gecko 1.9) and K-Meleon (Gecko 1.8.).

IMHO the page does not comply to HTML standard.
IE 8 complies to HTML standard but can still recognizes the native font of the page. My best guess: IEs draw info from OS to recognize the encoding.

Code says: <meta http-equiv='Content-Type' content='text/html; charset=iso-8859-1'>

That is Latin 1 for mostly West European languages.

<font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif'> Is used mostly in Europe.

The language/page (probably the language's typical OS install) reroutes Latin to another alphabeth.

Thai uses a similar scheme (disrupted's comment).

I also monitored communication via K-Meleon's version of Live HTTP Headers extention.

The page http also say: it is "iso-8859-1".

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2009 06:50AM by guenter.

Posted by: Yogi
Date: April 20, 2009 06:53AM

gct
this page works fine on IE but doesnt work on Kmeleon ...

Nor does it work on Opera. Wonder if it would work on IE8.
My guess is that flawy coding of the page is causing the problem.

Now after reading Guenter's comment I realise that mine is obsolete.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2009 07:00AM by Yogi.

Date: April 20, 2009 10:46AM

Yogi
gct
this page works fine on IE but doesnt work on Kmeleon ...

Nor does it work on Opera. Wonder if it would work on IE8.
My guess is that flawy coding of the page is causing the problem.

Now after reading Guenter's comment I realise that mine is obsolete.

it's not obsolete, it's further proof by 2nd opinion that the site is indeed not standard.

gct..a good way to overcome these pesky websites is by using the kmeleon ietab extension, this way you can still access mshtml standard sites without leaving the comfort of your kmeleon.. whenever you encounter such sites, just right click on the page and select send to trident render. remember ietab has some limitations, and you'll need to do all your browsing in trident mode within that tab(no opening new tabs and windows when you're in ietab)

Date: April 21, 2009 02:08AM

Thanx a lot for the responses. I didn't expect so many responses so soon. smiling smiley

I have downloaded the ieplugin stuff. Now, how to load this please?

-Gct

Date: April 21, 2009 02:23AM

Ok, I loaded the ietab macro. Now it does show "Trident Render" under "Send Page To" sub menu, but the page still doesn't display the font correctly.

Posted by: disrupted(unlogged)
Date: April 21, 2009 11:10AM

when selecting trident render, it should open in a new tab not in the same tab.. first make sure you have tabbed browsing enabled(on by default) and then clck the new tab that was opened.. it should have different characteristics than a normal km tab. the icon on the tab will have an ie icon.. the addressbar url should begin with chrome:// and if you right click on that page.. the context menu will be ie menu.

if you still don't see a new ie tab opening, then you probably missed extracting a file.

make sure those files are in those kmeleon folders:

ietab.jar in k-meleon\chrome
ietab.manifest in k-meleon\chrome

nsIeTabWatchFactory.js in k-meleon\components
nsIIeTabPlugin.xpt in k-meleon\components

ietab.kmm in k-meleon\macros

npietab.dll in k-meleon\plugins

Date: April 21, 2009 06:12PM

Yeah, all those files are there in their respective directories ... but still when I right click on the page, no new tab gets created. "Send to internet explorer" works fine.

Date: April 21, 2009 10:19PM

when you right clikc on a page it will open in the same tab(overwrite with trident) but when you right click on a link and select trident render, then it will only in a new tab.. this macro is flawless because alain made it not me

when you select trident render..wait a bit till the page loads in the current page and check the addressbar did it change to "chrome://......: ?

Date: April 21, 2009 11:36PM

When I right click on a link and send it to trident, a new tab does open, but it is blank and the name of the tab is "Empty" ... I waited a few minutes but nothing happens after that ...

Yeah, the address bar does start with chrome:// ... like the following one:

chrome://ietab/content/reloaded.html?url=http://www.madhyamam.com/fullstory.asp?nid=65351&id=1

When I right click on an empty space in a page nothing happens ...

Date: April 22, 2009 12:20AM

that's pretty weird.. the address is correct, it should load.
do you have internet explorer installed? and what version? and what version of k-meleon are you using.. is it official k-meleon?

also try this:
download the original ietab extension from alain jujuland:
http://pagesperso-orange.fr/jujuland46/JujuLand/KMES/KMES193_IEtab.zip

extract it and replace all files in kmeleon folders except for macro
ietab.jar in k-meleon\chrome
ietab.manifest in k-meleon\chrome

nsIeTabWatchFactory.js in k-meleon\components
nsIIeTabPlugin.xpt in k-meleon\components

npietab.dll in k-meleon\plugins

jujuland's macro has an old command for k-meleon 1.1 and will cause an error on 1.5, use the old macro.it's the same without that command.

see if that works and report back please

Date: April 22, 2009 01:43AM

i think i know why it isn't working.. i forgot to tell you something very important.
you must delete those files in kmeleon\components folder(close kmeleon first)
compreg.dat
xpti.dat

they will be regenerated when you reopen kmeleon
they are important to delete and let kmeleon make them again to register the ietab xpt services.

sorry again..that's my fault..i should have added a readme file inside ietab.7z explaining how to remove thse 2 files.

now i think it will work

Date: April 22, 2009 01:48AM

No, it still behaves the same. Just an empty tab. Nothing further. I tried with both the macros.

I am using k-meleon 1.5.2. I downloaded it from here itself (sourceforge).

Yeah, I have IE installed. version 8.0.6001.

I am wondering if something from my laptop is preventing the page from loading. I have windows defender running but no popups are blocked.

Should I uninsall & re-install k-meleon?

Date: April 22, 2009 02:10AM

I deleted both compreg.dat & xpti.dat, restarted K-meleon. But it doesn't re-create those files.

Date: April 22, 2009 01:22PM

if it's not recreating those 2 files and you're pretty sure that it isn't..then there must be something wrong with your k-meleon installation..

first try this:
download ietab setup from jujuland
http://pagesperso-orange.fr/jujuland46/JujuLand/KMES/K-Ext110_IEtab.exe

this will delete the 2 files for you and hopefully km will create them..then see if ietab worksm if it still doesn't; then i suggest before reinstalling km to make a new profile and run from there(possibly corrupted settings)

edit>manage profiles>create new profile(check as at startup)
restart kmeleon>select new profile and exit kmeleon
install ietab.exe from jujuland
run kmeleon and select new profile

if that still doesn't work..then there's something not so good with your installation and a clean install will be a better option.. make sure to backup your passwords and bookmarks files

password is 4723482934.s (random numbers.s)
bookmarks is bookmarks.html

good luck gmc and hope it really works this time

Date: April 22, 2009 06:11PM

And that WORKED !!! grinning smiley Awesome !!! ...

disprupted, thanx a GREAT lot ... apreciate all the help ...

Maybe you can make a sticky on this topic ... if K-Ext110_IEtab.exe can be merged with the installation file : K-Meleon1.5.2en-US.exe, that'll be great too ...

Thanx, once again !

-Gct

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.