Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
Don't Get Firefox Disease: Slower and Fatter Every Version
Posted by: johnywhy
Date: May 19, 2009 09:21PM

what is k-meleon team doing to ensure they don't Get Firefox Disease?

Slower Every Version.

how about a list of guidelines every new version MUST pass before release. for example:

• New releases CANNOT perform any action more slowly than the any prior release, including launching, exiting and unloading, and rendering pages.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2009 07:48PM by johnywhy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Don't Get Firefox Disease: Slower Every Version
Posted by: caktus
Date: May 20, 2009 01:24AM

johnywhy
  • New releases CANNOT perform any action more slowly than the any prior release, including launching, exiting and unloading, and rendering pages.

That's usually how it works out.

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Posted by: disrupted
Date: May 20, 2009 07:17PM

it's not getting slower..in fact it's getting better and faster, on my system i can tell there's a performance improvement from 1.5.3 over 1.5.0.

your performance deterioration maybe related to bad profile settings or bad dirty installs(installing over previous versions) remember to always delete those 2 files from the k-meleon\components folder when manually upgrading
compreg.dat and xpti.dat

also try testing by creating a new profile to rule out possible bad profile prefs.

Date: May 21, 2009 01:14AM

i did not say i'm getting performance degradation. my performance is great.

i'm just saying i'm worried that, in future releases, km may suffer the curse of bloat which befalls some other apps (like firefox). i'm suggesting the dev team put some dev guidelines in writing, to prevent future bloat/degradation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2009 01:14AM by johnywhy.

Posted by: guenter
Date: May 21, 2009 01:02PM

Actually the Firefox GREs became faster. New features & reliance on Xul ate up some.
IMHO the majority of users wants more features, feathers whistles and bells.

Posted by: drongo
Date: May 21, 2009 01:46PM

guenter
Actually the Firefox GREs became faster. New features & reliance on Xul ate up some.
IMHO the majority of users wants more features, feathers whistles and bells.
I agree smiling smiley
Mainly: need option to have a single button in order to change "awesome" bar to bar like it was exectly in FF2 version.
And option to not be affected from Internet Explorer settings.
These 2 things are very annoying to me and many others, but developers of FireFox doesn't want to understand it, so i am looking for other browser, that will have a full support of firefox add-on's without these 2 very bad things.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2009 01:48PM by drongo.

Date: May 21, 2009 07:32PM

drongo
..that will have a full support of firefox add-on's without these 2 very bad things.

your best bet is either seamonkey or flock or some other browser that's a fff spin-off.. i don't know if the awesomebar thing exists in seamonkey or flock and i'm not sure what you mean by "affected by internet explorer settings" because ff is a different browser with a different engine and has no relation with ie.

i\ve took a quick glimpse at your list on the addons thread and some of your requests will never be available for kmeleon because the are ff xul interface extensions.. like tabs thing or statusbar download..that means those extension will only run on ff xul interface and can never be adapted for any other browser.. some of your other requests have already been converted by alain or gunter.. take a look at alain's extension page. a few other extensions are already built-iin kmeleon through macros like changing useragent.

if your main resentment with ff is the awesomebar then take a look at this extension:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7637
it claims to restore ff 2 old bar function to the awesomebar.

to be honest, if you're looking for a browser to fully support ff xpi (out of the box or not) then k-meleon is definitely not what you're looking for.

Posted by: guenter
Date: May 21, 2009 08:10PM

There are two XPI services (old Mozilla insecure versus new Firefox semi-secure).

kko and I already had experimental Mozilla XPI service going. Even I can activate the service by hand. Nothing to develop it consists of just a bit of chrome, one .dll and one xpt. In fact we delete the needed components on every update.grinning smiley

& disrupted can probably fully activate new Firefox XPI installer service when K-Meleon moves to K-M 1.6 & GRE 1.9.X. AFAIR alain and disrupted already have hacked installer far enough to ease the use of XUL applications during compatibility tests.

But for what reason should K-Meleon have general XPI support ?

In addition to disrupted's statement that K-Meleon cannot handle extensions that want to manipulate GUI XUL or use overlays. Some info he knows but does not mention.

myself from other thread
Xulrunner/Firefox XPI installer service has an automatic application checking service. The extension creator/team must explicitly choose which applications are included into the supported list that is in each install.rdf. PPL would come here and rant this or that of 1000s of extensions does not install.

And they would claim it is a K-Meleon bug.

Even if in the whole forum each was as productive as disrupted we could never fix all of these bugs. We could not even fix all that would be compatible - but where the vendor did not know or had forgotten to write into the install.rdf that K-Meleon was supported.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2009 08:31PM by guenter.

SeaMonkey Neck and Neck, TheWorld Wins On Flash (sort of)
Date: May 24, 2009 06:19PM

my casual comparison of KM vs. SeaMonkey -- in terms of speed and memory, they are running neck and neck.

often, SeaMonkey consumes less RAM than KM, both running several identical tabs.

after closing many tabs in SM, SM RAM footprint seems to take a long time to shrink (according to task manager). after exiting SeaMonkey, it takes a long time to unload from memory (after opening, then closing, many tabs).

KM footprint shrinks quickly on closing tabs, and unloads from RAM quickly on exiting.

both exit quickly after running only one tab a short time.
TheWorld exits quickly even after running multiple tabs with media content.

--------------

TheWorld browser displays animation and plays audio on HobNox audio tools Tone Matrix without any jitters or freezing. k-meleon on the same page repeatly jitters on video and audio (when TheWorld was running same page at the same time-- no jitters in KM when TheWorld is not open).

However, TheWorld crashed after 5 minutes, while browsing to TheWorld homepage on another tab, and right-clicking TheWorld address bar.

-------------

all on vista.

Edited 13 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2009 07:33PM by johnywhy.

Posted by: panzer
Date: May 24, 2009 08:26PM

disrupted

i\ve took a quick glimpse at your list on the addons thread and some of your requests will never be available for kmeleon because the are ff xul interface extensions.. like tabs thing or statusbar download..

Could an alternative to statusbar be made for Km?

Date: May 25, 2009 11:05PM

the extension itself is impossible to convert to km but displaying download in status bar is achievable possibly with a kplugin or by an integration in km core exe... but i think only dorian can do it.

Posted by: desga2
Date: May 30, 2009 01:01PM

K-Meleon CCF by Hao have buttons implemented in status bar.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: panzer
Date: June 02, 2009 07:51PM

CCF does not work on comp on work. sad smiley
At home work fine though.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.