Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: missing chatbox when login to facebook
Posted by: Yogi
Date: January 15, 2010 05:05PM

This is the reason why I prefere spoofing outside the browser. I do it rarely anyway.

However spoofing has its limits.
It won't be of any help if:
- The object of sniffing is browser functionality and not its UA string.
- The page contains scrambled code tailored to be rendered properly only by a specific browser.
- The browser doesn't support some executions of the code.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2010 05:24PM by Yogi.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: sickley
Date: January 15, 2010 08:15PM

thanks for all your hard work distrupted! let me know if you need any help with Facebook, im not very good with km's macro language but i'd be glad to help in any way

Date: January 15, 2010 10:23PM

yogi i like all the options in your privacy bar! is that a different version of km or is it an extension/macro??

Date: January 15, 2010 10:33PM

nevermind i found it in the toolbars.cfg smiling smiley

Posted by: disrupted
Date: January 16, 2010 12:03AM

i was mistaken..they are still morons.
what happens is they do sniff for gecko and they also sniff for firefox.

if they get the "required" gecko 1.9.1+ but a non-firefox browser, they give you a js specific to gecko (will not work on other browsers) howevr it is similar to the one coded for internet explorer with the chat icon at the far end and opens in a popup window not integrated while firfot gets the integrated chat thingy

when tested with other strings/browsers..all geckos camino, seamonkey and flock(not sure if flock uses own ua) get the same halfbar

that simply means when it comes to gecko browsers they are deliberately giving a special treatment and privilege to firefox while all webkit browsers and opera get the same treatment with the chat integration box.

so even with kmeleon 1.6, the bar will work but it will have less features than the one given to firefox. i didn't notice this right away when i was testing with fred's kmeleon because i'm not used to using facebook and i saw the bar so i thought it was working and there are no differences.

if you are a facebook user and are affected by this discriminatory policy then you should contact those morons and complain, you can get through to them from the development link on the facebook frontpage

i think jmillar's interpretation of all this was correct.. it's not firefox or gecko 1.8 in general that was targeted by the js changes, it appears that kmeleon was the one meant to be blocked out and the geckosniff "update" was just to enable 'some' features for other geckos like seamonkey etc but without the full experience of firefox and if this is true, then the arseholes at mozilla are behind it.

firefox is their money-maker browser.. and since they are steadily losing user base since 3.0 release they want to ensure they get special treatment on major websites so users do not have choice, naturally they can't control websites over browsers with huge companies behind them(like google) so they atlease want to ensure that people don't use other geckos..especially ones they know they are much better than their crap.

i think this is enough..supporting those idiots for their intentional errors and bugs and constantly updating an extension that should not exist in the first place

if you have any problems with any website due to stupid sniffers, posting it here doesn't really fix it..we work around it but thats no fix..
to stop this you should send complaints to the fucktards at facebook and the others or just use firefox..that's what they want anyway

Date: January 16, 2010 03:41AM

well if k-meleon was big enough we could file an anti-trust lawsuit smiling smiley

Posted by: disrupted
Date: January 16, 2010 11:54AM

yeah..that's the problem, don't think kmeleon users will ever be big enough and cases like that require big companies behind them that can cause quite a noise about it, kmeleon is all volunteers

for now, enough complaints should at least let them know we are on to them .. at least make them feel ashamed. the thing is with most of those sites, it's just ignorance and copying out js sniffers without knowing any better but what happened with facebook now is deliberate action to target specific browsers.. maybe not a big deal when km1.6 will be released, users can just spoof to ff 3 as usual and things will work but the problem is for many users they don't know about those things..they download a browser, go to their usual sites and things don't work as expected they will immediately think that's the browser's fault and uninstall it and this is exactly what the mozilla marketing shitbags want

Posted by: jarad mancini
Date: January 20, 2010 12:31AM

why do i have to run around in a forum looking for an answer.. i feel like thats a waste of time.. just write the answer down and end all this bullsh#t. if ie and ff work on facebook and k-meleon doesn't then YES i will write to you guys because YOUR browser does not work. period! and from the links you posted now i got to fill in a script template to make a website work.. by the time i do that i could find another browser and go on my merry way.. so watch what you say to people when they ask a simple question.. phhhhhkfce!grinning smiley

Posted by: guenter
Date: January 20, 2010 06:36AM

If facebook cannot make code for a standard compliant browser it is a facebook bug.
Facebook intentionally excluded Mozilla GRE 1.8 browsers.

Yes Firefox 2 too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2010 06:38AM by guenter.

Posted by: calde
Date: January 20, 2010 03:45PM

Hi, I've found this trick for facebook.

Set user agent to Firefox 2.0

1. load facebook homepage, some section are missing (mailbox, bottom bar)
2. disable javascript (F7) and reload, section came back but useless...
3. enable javascript (F7) and reload, now all is there.

Hi don't use fb chat and so I can't try it, but emails are now visible.

I hope this procedure works for you!

Bye
enrico

Posted by: jmillar
Date: January 23, 2010 06:54PM

FB's move may have something to do with the recent privacy alarm bells after GMail accounts in China were compromised using an IE vulnerability that was patched hurriedly just yesterday. All the warning lights must have turned red at Facebook.

These sites rely on privacy to reassure their users that they can pour their souls into them via CV's, photos, letters, comments and so on. If this privacy is compromised their business model may take a hit. Even if it isn't, there may be a blip in their growth charts.

So, what do they do? A jumpy Corporation turns to the experts. Like Secunia, for instance. Secunia's PSI application gives a negative rating to FF 3.0.17, even though they specify in their website that the vendor has patched all reported vulnerabilities. (and presumably can be considered safe)

Nevertheless, the (very useful, though sometimes a bit confusing) PSI app reports the following on FF 3.0.17: "This program has reached end-of-life and is no longer supported by the vendor" and gives it a red mark (potentially unsafe, because unpatched vulnerabilities that may be discovered will NOT be fixed)

This would of course also apply to FF2 and to "Deer Park" (1.5) and earlier.
Amusingly Secunia has yet to discover K-Meleon as a bona fide independent app,
but Facebook apparently DOES see the version of the gecko and the potential security risks and the fact that it's no longer maintained.

So let's be patient and contribute to the birth of 1.6 I'm writing this on Fred's 2.02pre "Seamonkey" based K-Meleon and loving it. I only miss the search engine configuration delights (they can be done by hand but it's quite messy) and the Session saver. And it has never crashed. It IS a little heavier on the RAM than 1.5.3 Why does code always seem to fatten up? :-)

Posted by: Yogi
Date: January 25, 2010 08:20AM

jmillar
FB's move may have something to do with the recent privacy alarm bells after GMail accounts in China were compromised using an IE vulnerability that was patched hurriedly just yesterday.

No matter what Google was asserting so far it is not at all evident that an IE vulnerability was the culprit:

U.S. enables Chinese hacking of Google

-- Google made headlines when it went public with the fact that Chinese hackers had penetrated some of its services, such as Gmail, in a politically motivated attempt at intelligence gathering.

In order to comply with government search warrants on user data, Google created a backdoor access system into Gmail accounts. This feature is what the Chinese hackers exploited to gain access.

Posted by: rima karvat
Date: January 03, 2011 05:41AM

Steven
Hi, i would like to address some problem related to the subject above. When I use K-Meleon browser for the first time, i realized i encounter this problem where the chat column below the right hand site of the browser (in facebook) is missing. Can something be done on this matter?

Another thing is the preference of the browser is a little complicated. Try to simplify it by narrowing down some of the feature less common use by users. Thank you.. =D

Date: January 03, 2011 09:43PM

rima karvat
Steven

Read desga2 answer or use K-Meleon1.6beta2 and set the UserAgentString to Firefox3

desga2
Read this.
And read this.
And read this other.
I think to could continued to the infinite...

When the pizza is bad don't whine to the dealer guy.
When the newspaper is bad news don't whine to the dealer guy.
But when Facebook, Hotmail, Yahoo, and others are doing it bad...
...They all come to complain to the K-Meleon forum.
tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2011 09:44PM by guenter.

Posted by: sujata
Date: February 14, 2011 08:48AM

Steven
Hi, i would like to address some problem related to the subject above. When I use K-Meleon browser for the first time, i realized i encounter this problem where the chat column below the right hand site of the browser (in facebook) is missing. Can something be done on this matter?

Another thing is the preference of the browser is a little complicated. Try to simplify it by narrowing down some of the feature less common use by users. Thank you.. =D

Date: February 14, 2011 09:42PM

Hi rima karvat & sujata pleaze read my post.
With best regards to Mumbay/Thana region.

Posted by: hardi shah
Date: May 05, 2012 09:32AM

hey why my chat box is missing on my facebook account?n how many maximum numbers of friends should be required for the chat box as i want to chat with my friends very soon...

Posted by: ravi sai varun
Date: July 02, 2012 09:00AM

show chatbox in facebook when i login in facebook

Posted by: rodocop
Date: July 02, 2012 03:01PM

Just read some posts above.
All answers are there.

Posted by: Diana John
Date: September 20, 2013 03:52PM

my chat box is missing from my face book account.plz help me to make it visible

Posted by: sneha adhikary
Date: October 13, 2013 03:26PM

please help me it has been two days..... that my facebook chatbox is not appearing... neither the slide bar...nor the chat at the corner of my screen.. this has really interrupted me as i am not being able to talk to my friends on facebook please help me please... sad smileysad smileysad smiley

Posted by: sneha adhikary
Date: October 14, 2013 03:04PM

thank you soooooooooooooooo much to k meleon i'm sneha adhikary and i got back my chat box just after i coplained about it to you... i'm really happy and thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drool:grinning smileysmiling smileygrinning smiley

Posted by: nana
Date: November 17, 2013 07:58AM

tq..it's work.really appreciate it

Posted by: dugbugoffice3
Date: January 26, 2014 05:11AM

Yahoo had a bug with K-Meleon. You have to change the user agent to:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.0; rv:1.9.1.11) Gecko/20100701 Firefox/3.68
To fix it.

Also many sites now push the HTML5 stuff and
K-Meleon just can't do it well!

K-Meleon does need to change user agents like a Kmeleon!

I would love to have something like this in KM!

About Secret Agent

The Secret Agent Add On is another counter surveillance tool, from the same developers as Dephormation.

Secret Agent enhances the privacy of your web surfing, by rotating your browser's 'User Agent' identity with every web request (or every page load, or every browser session)... rather like the plates on Bond's famous DB5.

Randomizing your User Agent makes it a little harder for crooks, rogue ISPs, spies like Phorm, corrupt Governments, and other nasty surveillance/tracking threats to correlate your clicks on the basis of 'device fingerprinting'.
https://www.dephormation.org.uk/?page=81

Posted by: poorna chandrasekhar
Date: January 03, 2015 09:23AM

my chat box is missing from my face book account.plz help me to make it visible

Posted by: poorna chandrasekhar
Date: January 03, 2015 01:44PM

thank you soooooooooooooooo much and i got back my chat box just after i complained about it to you... i'm really happy and thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.