Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
missing chatbox when login to facebook
Posted by: Steven
Date: June 22, 2009 06:08PM

Hi, i would like to address some problem related to the subject above. When I use K-Meleon browser for the first time, i realized i encounter this problem where the chat column below the right hand site of the browser (in facebook) is missing. Can something be done on this matter?

Another thing is the preference of the browser is a little complicated. Try to simplify it by narrowing down some of the feature less common use by users. Thank you.. =D

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: missing chatbox when login to facebook
Posted by: desga2
Date: June 22, 2009 06:23PM

Read this.
And read this.
And read this other.
I think to could continued to the infinite...

When the pizza is bad don't whine to the dealer guy.
When the newspaper is bad news don't whine to the dealer guy.
But when Facebook, Hotmail, Yahoo, and others are doing it bad...
...They all come to complain to the K-Meleon forum.
tongue sticking out smiley

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2009 06:33PM by desga2.

Date: June 23, 2009 07:40AM

Please go to the fact and don't beat around the bush???

Posted by: guenter
Date: June 23, 2009 11:54AM

Hi Steven,

OK: Without beating around the bush?

Read the FAQs before You post an improvement request.

& Set the UserAgentString to Firefox!

It is a Face Book bug!

Desga2's answer is normal here. He does not think K-Meleon need Your improvement.
The answer You received is a polite: Please read FAQs first.
He told/showed You some answer locations, where You can find the info.

Last not least: Greetings do MY and ES from DE

p.s. Face Book is known for a faulty browser switch. How would You feel being often asked for improvement if it is not Your fault.

English is not our mother language - so some like desga2 prefer a short answer.

Plus the right forum should be used (the improvement request should go to the Face Book's Improvement Request Forum, its their bug - or to the K-Meleon General Forum / help & support - since General gives support, help & info for a Face book bug).

I also have an improvement request - when will You make K-Meleon available in Your mother language?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2009 11:56AM by guenter.

Posted by: Paul
Date: June 23, 2009 02:37PM

OK my turn to get flamed! :drool:

Is there a way to Set the UserAgentString to Firefox as default on future editions.

(This would resolve the tedious FB question on new KM users/fresh installs)

Posted by: JujuLand
Date: June 23, 2009 03:29PM

I don't know if it will be a feature of the next build, but I think it would be nice to have the possibility to change for some sites the default browser. A kind of white list (or black list, depending of how we can see the problem), to help the users.

But for sure, it's not a good thing for K-Meleon, to have a lot of users turning the ident to Firefox ...

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Posted by: disrupted
Date: June 23, 2009 07:21PM

noooo paul! kmeleon default useragent must be kept otherwise it will never be included in browser usage statistics and surveys.. read this thread about the importance of using kmeleon's own useragent
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,87949,90656#msg-90656

alain, i made a simple macro extension that checks sites against a blacklist which can be edited by the user. if a site is detected inside the blacklist, useragent is changed to fireshit but once you go to another site not on the list, agent reverts back to default (auto useragent switcher)
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,93736

Date: June 23, 2009 07:44PM

Ahh, I understand now the reasons not to. So I'm afraid it's the small fish in the big pool. Their attitude is change browser, as a protest (in terms of email service) I'd rather change provider. I guess the same attitude prevails with FB, it's a case of put up or shut up. :mad:

I've tried reporting the bug with FB they simply reply saying thank you, but they forget to mention 'your comments have been dismissed and deleted'

Date: June 23, 2009 07:56PM

Try to send some attachment like these in your mail to FaceBook:
Option one
Option two
Option three
Option four

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: ndebord
Date: June 23, 2009 10:06PM

Paul

Is there a way to Set the UserAgentString to Firefox as default on future editions.

Paul,

I, like many others, use the FF user agent string because it is convenient, but I wouldn't like to see it made the default, as that would diminish K-Meleon which should get recognition. Website developers should have it listed on their sites, but most only do IE and FF and perhaps Opera and forget about all the other Mozilla browsers out there.

N

Date: June 23, 2009 10:20PM

ndebord
Paul

Paul,

I, like many others, use the FF user agent string because it is convenient, but I wouldn't like to see it made the default, as that would diminish K-Meleon which should get recognition. Website developers should have it listed on their sites, but most only do IE and FF and perhaps Opera and forget about all the other Mozilla browsers out there.

No I read through the leads disrupted posted for me (and others) along with your comments that make a very good point (that had escaped me!) :s

There is a 'browser' forum run by members on FB,I can't place a link 'cause it would include my account tongue sticking out smiley But maybe K-Meleon/FB users could apply pressure to the FB mod's via there?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2009 10:23PM by Paul.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: June 23, 2009 11:54PM

Paul
ndebord
Paul

Paul,

No I read through the leads disrupted posted for me (and others) along with your comments that make a very good point (that had escaped me!) :s

There is a 'browser' forum run by members on FB,I can't place a link 'cause it would include my account tongue sticking out smiley But maybe K-Meleon/FB users could apply pressure to the FB mod's via there?

Yes, but it is precisely posts like yours that highlight issues that can or should be addressed by the KM community. I see that disrupted has a new agent switcher macro that allows KM to be identified as itself, except when it runs into "bad" sites, where the macro then switches the user agent string to Firefox (and afterwords back to KM)!

FWIW, this sense of community is what attracted me to K-Meleon in the first place.

<VBG>

N

Date: June 24, 2009 05:14AM

Perhaps disrupted's UserAgentBadeSitelister should be made default.

That would tell users right away who is responsible for the fault and help them at the same time.

And offering such an extension as download or better default.
May get noticed among netizens and eventually from the buggy pages devs.

& K-Meleon users become a sizable group, 1 mio donloads in one year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2009 05:15AM by guenter.

Date: June 24, 2009 12:07PM

guenter
Perhaps disrupted's UserAgentBadeSitelister should be made default.

That would tell users right away who is responsible for the fault and help them at the same time.

And offering such an extension as download or better default.
May get noticed among netizens and eventually from the buggy pages devs.

& K-Meleon users become a sizable group, 1 mio donloads in one year.

I think that would be a good idea. Like it or not FB doe's have a huge user base. I wonder how many non-techy FB users try KM and because 'stuff is missing' assume the browser is no good, and uninstall it?

I know some do come to the forum but again how many don't bother!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2009 12:09PM by Paul.

Date: June 30, 2009 08:36AM

okay.... thanks. At least u mention:

1. English is not you're mother language....
2. Set the user agent under tools....

Still i prefer direct answer.

Date: June 30, 2009 08:38AM

desga2... sorry

I'm still new in this browser..... it takes time to understand

Date: June 30, 2009 12:34PM

Never mind many here are not from English speaking country.
Assume that all ist near the place where it is with other browser.

I do not know what languages You speak in MY (You used one IP from MY).
K-Meleon has no developers that come from there.
Native Users must do it themselves.

There is a translation package.
They get technical help via this forum. desga2, alain, xGrind, disrupted translated versions and come to this forum.

p.s. AFAIK both Chinese writings & Brazilian are in process to be released.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2009 12:36PM by guenter.

Date: June 30, 2009 03:48PM

there's an extension 'auto agent switcher" to automatically change the agent to firefox when stupid website is detected from a blacklist, also you can edit the blacklist to add more websites

http://kmext.sourceforge.net

p.s never set the firefox agent to be always default(i.e. do not uncheck auto reset!)

Posted by: Jeff
Date: December 01, 2009 04:05AM

Facebook has changed something. Switching the User Agent to Firefox no longer works to enable chat. It worked yesterday: 11/29/2009 but not today. They really need to fix their site to work with real browsers.

Date: December 01, 2009 09:02AM

Try a Firefox 3.5 UA or Semonkey 2.0 UA strings.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: Jeff
Date: December 01, 2009 10:25PM

No luck. They're a hosed site anyway. I'm just trying to get facebook to work for my teenage son on this old computer. Firefox won't do the job because it takes more resources than this old box has (Windows 2000, 256mb RAM, Intel Celeron) I thought I had it solved with the FF2.0 User Agent but it quit working. He'll just have to get over it.

Posted by: melonhead
Date: December 02, 2009 05:03AM

Strangely, I see everything working in FB if I use the built-in FF2 string but the FF3.5.3 string I was using has stopped working in the last 24 hours.

The problem for me is that I also use Myspace and that recently stopped accepting the FF2 string although it is cool with the default K-Meleon string.

Date: December 02, 2009 05:20AM

Use custom and set it to any Firefox 3 UserAgentString.

A fairly new Firefox 2 that does not waste time to phone home. Virus check if You try software recommended by a stranger smiling smiley

Try AutoUser switcher from disrupteds xtension page...

Lenghty therory. In depth links and info. Some practical tricks and pages to check too. Nobody can detect a spoofing browser. You can only detect the engine but not even its version.

Go to Browser Configuration, type "user" into filter. It will show You some advanced settings to play. Make vendor empty. That is a "give away" if advanced browser sniffing is applied.

I would not give up just postpone till next weekend - and then I'd turn every stone. smiling smiley

@ melonhead,

good info! That gets us somewhere.

Firefox 3? Ok, here we go.

Go to .Program Files/K-Meleon/Defaults/Pref/I10n.js - section // Privacy

pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent3.name", "FF 3");
pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent3.string", "COPY&PASTE the FF 3 string You want here and insert this code snippet after the Seamonkey string");

You open FF about page and copy paste it into the bold part of code.
... Guess You know and can use the ropes - since You know the location now smiling smiley

Else edit the firefox 2 string. grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2009 05:37AM by guenter.

Posted by: melonhead
Date: December 02, 2009 06:06AM

The only website I use that has a problem caused by sniffing the UA string is Facebook. I certainly can't see the point in taking the trouble to spoof a newer version of FF if 2 works and I can keep the KM vendor string intact - maybe if the FB programmers sniff that enough times it'll give them a clue (but I doubt it).

I've installed the UA switcher. Swithcing is not seamless if FB is opened in a tab but giving it it's own window seems to overcome the problem.

Date: December 02, 2009 01:31PM

guenter

Go to .Program Files/K-Meleon/Defaults/Pref/I10n.js - section // Privacy

pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent3.name", "FF 3");
pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent3.string", "COPY&PASTE the FF 3 string You want here and insert this code snippet after the Seamonkey string");
D

After changes the section will look like:

pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent1.name", "Firefox 2.0");
pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent1.string", "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20");
pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent2.name", "SeaMonkey 1.1");
pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent2.string", "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.19) Gecko/20081204 SeaMonkey/1.1.14");
pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent3.name", "Firefox 3.53");
pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent3.string", "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.5) Gecko/20091102 Firefox/3.5.5 (.NET CLR 4.0.20506)");

else like:

pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent1.name", "Firefox 3.5");
pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent1.string", "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.5) Gecko/20091102 Firefox/3.5.5 (.NET CLR 4.0.20506)");
pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent2.name", "SeaMonkey 1.1");

If You choose to change the existing string.

p.s. I had some time to install plus de-install a new ffOX.

Make sure line lines are not broken. Long like here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2009 01:34PM by guenter.

Posted by: sickley
Date: January 15, 2010 02:32AM

UA spoofing seems to not work at all anymore, i even tried blanking out general.useragent.vendor with no success. in not sure what facebook is sniffing but its starting to piss me off

Posted by: disrupted(unlogged)
Date: January 15, 2010 10:27AM

you are right.. it will not work with the ff spoof 2.0 or ff 3.x either

facebook has updated their sniffer so it detects gecko properly-possibly after several very polite emails sent to their devs, however it requires gecko 1.9 for full features.

for example, if you use fred or hao unofficials with the default ua(kmeleon gecko.19) it will be full function just like in ff because they now sniff for gecko as they should have but their bar will not work with gecko 1.8 so even if you spoof with gecko 1.9 it will not work, this also affects ff 1.5, ff 2.0 seamonkey 1.8
kudos to their devs for listening

for now, this is a spoof that works fine for almost all facebook domains:
Opera/10.00 (X11; Linux i686; U; de) Presto/2.2.0

DO NOT use the opera new string which first identifies as moxzilla, this string will not work for gecko 1.8 as requires similar js functions in gecko 1.9
also avoid as windows, for some weird reason, identifying as win does not function on all their domains as the linux

the swithcer has been updated with 'special status' for facebook so it auto switchs to opera only with facebook domains while keeping the original function to swtiching to ff 2.0 on bad sites. i need to test it fully and prevent adding facebook to the badlist as this will cause big problems..stay tuned

for now use this: agent switcher>custom (disable autoswitcher!important)
Opera/10.00 (X11; Linux i686; U; de) Presto/2.2.0

Posted by: jmillar
Date: January 15, 2010 11:34AM

They certainly have improved their sniffers, literally overnight. The experimental KM 1.9.1 versions can be made to work. But since January 15 KM153 versions don't work even by using spoofed FF 3 strings.
The linux opera string works, but I certainly hope that their intention is not to totally weed out 1.8 based KM. It would be useful to know their rationale.

Date: January 15, 2010 01:02PM

disrupted(unlogged)
you are right.. it will not work with the ff spoof 2.0 or ff 3.x either

facebook has updated their sniffer so it detects gecko properly-possibly after several very polite emails sent to their devs, however it requires gecko 1.9 for full features.

Did You also try with changed prefs containing vendor?

general.useragent.vendor

K-Meleon gives real ID when asked properly.

<script type="text/javascript">
//<![CDATA[

if (typeof(navigator.vendor) == "string") {
				document.writeln($("<div/>").text(navigator.vendor).html());
			} else {
				document.writeln("Property is not supported! navigator.vendor is not a string. It's a " + typeof(navigator.vendor));
			}
		//]]>
</script>

It will also give an real answer to OS CPU? ="Windows NT 5.1 in my case" to:

//<![CDATA[

if (typeof(navigator.oscpu) == "string") {
				document.writeln($("<div/>").text(navigator.oscpu).html());
			} else {
				document.writeln("Property is not supported! navigator.oscpu is not a string. It's a " + typeof(navigator.oscpu));
			}
		//]]>

and its real platform = Win32:

//<![CDATA[

if (typeof(navigator.platform) == "string") {
document.writeln($("<div/>").text(navigator.platform).html());
} else {
document.writeln("Property is not supported! navigator.platform is not a string. It's a " + typeof(navigator.platform));
}
//]]>
</script>

and its real os info:

//<![CDATA[
document.writeln($.os.name)//]]>
</script>

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2010 01:21PM by guenter.

Date: January 15, 2010 01:30PM

nah, it's not vendor
they have updated to sniff for gecko (using fred hao 1.9.2 kmeleons work fine without requiring any spoof
the problem now is for gecko browsers they are using special js code that does not work with 1.8 any more

millar has a point about their rationale because its certainly questionable.. the code is nothing special really..very basic js is used with the presto engine which kmeleon 1.5 is able to translate and inject without problems except for minor icons display errors

i don't think they are targeting kmeleon 1.5, their new gecko code affects all geckos 1.8..so even firefox 2.0 seamonkey 1.8 can no longer work with facebook without using presto string which calls for an older js which geckos can interpret.. i think they are targeting older firefoxes and/or windows 9x.. the new code doesn't even work with early ff 3.0 using gecko 1.9.0 and requires atleast 1.9.1.. i don't know why they did that, not so long ago i got a reply from one of their web devs confirming that that sniffer was bad and ;they; are working on a better gecko and browsers in general one but he didn't mention anything specific to 1.9.1+

it does sound weird because they could use a very simple 1.9.1+ unspecific code similar to the code injected for prestos which would have worked with all geckos and even all browsers(except for ie) without the need for a spefic engine sniffer except to check for trident...while all other browsers like gecko , webkit and presto can use a universal js for the features bar

i tried several ua's nothing worked properly.. chromium/webkit string had a weird effect, the bar popped up for 1 second and disappeared(js error) and only once when first loading the facebook site..it doesn't pop again once the site/cookie is cached. even the new opera string which identifies as mozilla first doesn't work..only that old opera string is the one that can work for gecko 1.8 and called out the older js..hopefully that won't block that one too soon, it seems that opera prefers that older(non-mozilla) string for linux distros and uses the new string for windows machines.

anyway, the good news is when km updates to 1.6, it will be the end of all facebook problems..for now, the switcher has been updated to use presto with facebook only:
http://kmext.sourceforge.net/macros/agentswitcherplus.7z

more details:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?9,93736

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.