Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
Speed Dial
Posted by: Donald
Date: August 14, 2009 07:47PM

What I’m requesting for is called Speed Dial it can be found on the Opera browser and it’s also found the mod/fork called K-MeleonCCF ME, more information can be found on the support section at the Opera website. Now, you can tell what Speed Dial looks like by noticing nine or twelve blocks that can hold a single picture or home page or anything else that the browser can allow. I’m only asking for this feature because it’s useful as a quick link to your favorite home pages or pictures, and that’s it thanks for noticing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Speed Dial
Posted by: desga2
Date: August 14, 2009 08:10PM

This feature work in official K-Meleon same than CCF version download from this Extension page.

Unzip file and set SpeedDial html file like home page.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Speed Dial
Posted by: pp4mnk
Date: August 19, 2009 04:45PM

HELLO EVERYBODY:

As desga2 says, its really easy use speed dial, and I´m using it because I consider it really interesting.

You can download it from the extension page (desga2 dixit) but u can do as i did, that is, go to the folder where u instaled Kmeleon ccfme, copy the speeddial folder and put it into ORITGINAL k-meleon folder. After that, start your ORIGINAL k-meleon and go to Editar (edit) - Preferencias (preferences) or push F2, go to Navegar (Browse) and mark your start page as.... "file:///C:/k-meleon/speeddial/speeddial.htm" without quotes

Restart k-meleon and u can use it.
REALLY FANTASTIC

enjoy yourself pp4mnk

2: Speed Dial
Posted by: pp4mnk
Date: August 19, 2009 04:54PM

p.d.-

Excuse me... if other users dont wanna download ccfme, you ,as desga2 said, can go to....

http://kmext.sourceforge.net/files/speeddial.7z

extract the files into k-meleon folder and set start page as i mentioned before

HAVE A NICE DAY.... and dont stop using k-meleon winking smiley

Re: 2: Speed Dial
Posted by: kashmir
Date: February 14, 2010 03:07AM

Does this work in v.1.5.3? When I open a new session, all I get is a blank screen with a Google search box.

Re: 2: Speed Dial
Posted by: desga2
Date: February 14, 2010 01:06PM

Yes it's, Speed Dial work in all 1.5.x versions.
You need JavaScript and cookies enabled to Speed Dial work fine.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2010 01:07PM by desga2.

Speed Dial tweaking?
Posted by: SoerenB
Date: February 15, 2010 09:15AM

Hi,

if you do not want to enable cookies globally, you'll have to add to the F2 -> Privacy & Security -> exceptions list the following sites:

open.thumbshots.org
www.webshotspro.com
images.websnapr.com
www.thumbalizr.com
shots.snap.com

(That is copied from the \speeddial\speeddial_files\variaveis.js)

If you do not want the Google Search in Speeddial, you can edit the speeddial.html. Using notepad -or whatever-, delete everything from the first "<!-- Search Google -->" down (***).

I replaced it with code I made up in this ixquick websearch site.

Dimensions of the thumbnails can be influenced by playing with the numbers in the "//Calcula tamanhos e posicioes" section of the index.js file - Do! make a backup of it before starting that. Just one example: replacing "PAD= height/8;" by "PAD= height/16;" will halve the coloured thumbnail paddings.

(***) (in the RODAPE or "about" section at the end there's nothing but dead links). You can delete the ".rodape" line in the "style.css" file. Do NOT delete the "var RODAPE =" line in "variaveis.js" file, but you may reduce its value to minimize the bottom free space - mine is at -5.

Re: Speed Dial tweaking?
Posted by: Yogi
Date: February 15, 2010 11:49AM

Another option of course is to create your own HTML-file with the screenshots (as many as you like) of your choice. You can design it however you wish and use it as 'speed dial'.

Posted by: k-hunter
Date: February 15, 2010 12:16PM

Hi

I have installed the speeddial extension and it seems to work perfectly with cookies enabled. With cookies blocked and the above mentioned sites in the exceptions list (thank you, Soerencool smiley, however, K-Meleon does not remember the sites I have saved.

What could be the problem here?
Thanks

Posted by: disrupted
Date: February 16, 2010 05:10AM

you probably have cookies cleared at starup or shutdown , make sure to disable that option> tools proivacy>clear data>clear automatically

you might also want to consider one of the cookie management extensions at kmext>privacy which you can use to protect the cookie from getting deleted..don't remember though which website speed dial uses for the cookie

i prefer yogi's way of making your own startup page, i made one a year ago and it's not cookie-reliant cause all files/settings are saved locally
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,88344,88364

you will need to edit the html page and create your own thumbnails which is the disadvantage, especially if you want to frequently change the startup websites.
hao built on it using lua so you can enter the website urls in a dialog and it auto-creates the thumbnails and the page, but i don't know how hao made it or the website service that creates the thumbnails and don't have the source... it's available in ccfme, maybe hao can implement it in official kmeleon

Posted by: Yogi
Date: February 16, 2010 10:25AM

disrupted
...maybe hao can implement it in official kmeleon

I wouldn't be very enthused with my files stored on an untrusted third party server but that's probably just me.
After all you have the choice between using this feature or not. As long as the implementation would consist of a folder you can easily delete I could live with it smiling smiley
(Opera's implementation is pretty different. No third party servers are involved. Everything gets stored locally)
BTW and not speeddial related, did you ever take a closer look to Hao's build :O

Date: February 16, 2010 11:10AM

Thanks for the advice, but it does not seem to work yet. I have installed the cookie culler extension, and allowed all cookies that had been stored during 'all cookies enabled'. When disabling cookies again (with certain cookies protected), it erases the thumbnails again. When enabling cookies, it works fine.
K-Meleon doesn't clear up cookies at start-up or close-down either.

I understand Yogi's alternative would be a great solution (I don't trust third parties either), but I don't know enough about K-Meleon and computers in general to build such an extension myself.

Any other ideas on what could be the problem? I have installed the speeddial extension under Program Files> K-Meleon.

Thanks for all your help. I really like K-Meleon and the atmosphere on the forum is really relaxed too.

Posted by: SoerenB
Date: February 16, 2010 01:47PM

Hi, again,

I must admit that I'm on WinXP, and I use the

Policies Manager Extension

and made a policy especially for speeddials' thumbnail sites
(click to find bigger images on imageshack):

]PolicyManagerPolicy

]PolicySettings(note: JS disabled)

Maybe that helps?

Cheers,
SoerenB

Posted by: disrupted
Date: February 16, 2010 04:25PM
Date: February 17, 2010 08:21AM

I've installed this multipagine and it works perfectly. Thanks, man!!

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.