Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
Multiple Windows
Posted by: Frank
Date: August 24, 2000 12:55AM

Multiple windows, like what is found in Opera, would be great. After using Opera for some time, IE with it's single window only seems like a far lesser browser in that respect. Starting a new browser process just to open another window is a great deal slower, and seems to consume a great deal more memory, and is far less convenient than Opera with it's multiple windows.

Options: ReplyQuote
RE: Multiple Windows
Posted by: Ryan Hayle
Date: August 24, 2000 11:27PM

It does NOT start another browser process in either IE, Netscape, or k-Meleon (yes, k-meleon does do multiple windows), and I like it that way. Opera functionality would be a nice OPTIONAL add-on for the future, but I sure as hell wouldn't use it.

My .02

Date: August 25, 2000 02:22PM

Does not start another process? There may be some reuse of resourses when you start another copy of an IE, Netscape, or K-Meleon, but my system sure thinks it's another process. As an example, opening up a copy of K-Meleon has the process ID of 65, and uses 18M of RAM. Opening up a second copy of K-Meleon consumes another 14M or RAM (32M of RAM total now for two 'windows'), and has the process ID of 226. Starting up a copy of Opera consumes 5.3M (5332K) of RAM. Opening up a second and a third window (which is instant, versus the time to start another new copy of a browser (yes, a new process)) consumes an additional 12K and 2K, for a total of 5346K for 3 windows, versus 5332K for 1 window. This functionality (speed and light use of resources) seems quite good. I often open 2 or more copies of IE, and the use of resources is very high. In Opera, the use of resources, and the time to open new windows, is negligible. As for K-Meleon being able to open more that one window, I have not yet found that functionality, although it may exist and I simply have not used it enough to have discovered how it is done.

Posted by: blah
Date: August 25, 2000 10:27PM

your gay

Date: August 31, 2000 08:30AM

What a stupid thing to say.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.