Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
NewsGroup reader
Posted by: BeElZeBub
Date: January 25, 2001 08:09AM

Firstly, congrats Cristophe on a major product! - you Da Man !!

Small footprint is what it's all about. Coupl'a t'ings you might want to consider for future:

1 Implementing some sort of NewsGroup Reader: while writing, does anyone know of any free-standing NewsGroup Readers out there ? (IE5 doesn't do it well, I use Eudora for eMail - & that don't got it)

2 Will you be enhancing Edit capabilities in this TextBox I'm using here - Ctrl-Left/Right doesn't seem to work ? (or is that a function borrowed from elsewhere, where it also doesn't work ? actually it now seems to be just the ArrowKeys ... hmmmmm)

3 Can we point to different Favoutrites folders, not IE5's ?

... dat's 'bout it Man, keep up the great work!

c y`all !

Options: ReplyQuote
RE: NewsGroup readerit
Posted by: Brian Harris
Date: January 26, 2001 05:44PM

it's doubtful that a newsreader will be added. from what I can tell the motto is "do one thing and do it well." What kmeleon will do is pass news: links to the default newgroup reader, be it netscape, outlook, agent, or anything else.

Posted by: Sebastian Späth
Date: January 26, 2001 10:33PM

And I'd lik it to "do one thing and be small and fast with this",
code size and functionality is obviously correlated, so I wouldn't put my vote on this one. There are enough nice news agents out there.

Date: January 27, 2001 06:09PM

... I get your point, guys.

So, while writing - does anyone know of free-standing News Agents out there ??

thanks in advance

Posted by: Brian Harris
Date: January 28, 2001 05:31AM

I don't use newsgroups, so I can't reccomend any from experience, but I know my friend uses Free Agent: http://www.forteinc.com/agent/freagent.htm
You can find a whole list of other ones here: http://www.softseek.com/Internet/Newsgroup_Readers_and_Tools/

Date: February 02, 2001 07:30AM

Tx Brian - I'll 'give it a whirl!'
blzbb

Posted by: Pawson
Date: February 15, 2001 10:47PM

Along with Agent I would recommend Xnews ( http://xnews.3dnews.net/ ), especially if you need multiple-newsserver access.

Pawson

Posted by: Mosquito
Date: February 27, 2001 09:46PM

Thank you for NOT adding a news reader! I have given up on Netscape because it is so slow on tables etc. and I am totally disappointed by the mozilla thingie. Instead of coding a good browser and adding MODULES for things like mail and news, they make the development a never ending story and even add an IRC capability. *sigh*
I have tried Opera for a few weeks seriously but gave it up because it has a DNS lookup problem that costs a lot of time. I hope to find K-Meleon the right thing for my purposes because I hate myself for being a regular IE user now. :-)

So, keep up the great work, and keep it small, fast and simple!

Posted by: pandion
Date: March 28, 2001 05:53PM

I've spent an hour reading the posts here. I feel like I've crawled out of a bucket and have this tickling sensation...I liked k-meleon right off when I first found it a couple of weeks ago. Now I realize that you are probably building the browser of my dreams. No email client. No news reader. No instant messenger. Standard compatible. YES! I understand I can even lose Favorites. Goodie. There are good stand alone managers that work with any browser and have a much better file format.

I think I hate every browser except Lynx and that one is a little too frugal even for me. A new sensation - a browser to love. Thank you guys and keep the good work up.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.