Configure Middle-Click behavior
Posted by: SlugFiller
Date: December 23, 2009 04:03AM

First, let me say K-Meleon is the most awesome thing ever. At first, I was a bit skeptic about using a Gecko-based browser, because I expected it to be as bad as SeaMonkey or FireFox. I'm glad to say I was VERY positively surprised. This is the first time in years that I've seen web pages load this fast in a browser other than IE6. Now I just need to find out how to associate it with the "about:" protocol. But I digress.

Back to topic:

It would be nice to configure the way web-site links behave in the same way I can configure how bookmarks behave. Specifically, it would be nice if I could decide if I want new tabs to open in the foreground or the background.

On a related note, it would also be nice to be able to configure the "tab open position" for each action seperately. For instance, for link middle-button, I prefer to have it open next to the web page that opened it, but for bookmarks, I'd rather it opened at the end.

On a slightly less but still related note, the toolbar button behavior setting should have a "none" option, because I hate the bahavior of accidental double-clicks.

And on a completely unrelated note, is it possible to configure the undo

Re: Configure Middle-Click behavior
Date: December 23, 2009 04:05AM

(Disregard last line of the previous message)

Posted by: siria
Date: December 23, 2009 05:37AM

Hi SlugFiller,
try F2/Browsing/Window Diversion
F2/Tabbed Browsing
F2/Netscape Bookmarks
Menu Help / FAQ
Menu Tools / Mouse accelerators
type: about:config

Am confused what you might mean with the accidental double-click behaviour...?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2009 05:42AM by siria.

Date: December 23, 2009 07:37AM

Yeah, maybe I was unclear.

The setting in "Tabbed Browsing" sets for all tab opening events - middle click link, ctrl+T, opening via bookmark, etc. It is -one- setting, for -various- types of tab opening. I want each to be configured separately.

For instance, in "Netscape Bookmarks", I get (for each button, which is very cool) the options:
* In the current tab
* In a new tab
x Background
* In a new window
x Background

I want it to be:
* In the current tab
* In a new tab
x Background
x Next to current tab
* In a new window
x Background

So that I could, for instance, set right click to open next to the current tab, and middle click to open at the end (or vice versa).

But my main point was that while I can set the buttons for bookmarks, I can't set the buttons for links. "Window Diversion" only effects "target=_blank" links, it doesn't effect middle click. I know, I checked the "open in background" there, and it had no effect on middle click.
I've looked in all the preferences and menus, and could find one.

I did just try "Mouse Accelerators". It seems to work, but I am slightly alarmed that it is only available as presets, with no "custom" option. I would have much preferred if the "Open" option in "Browsing->General" had, in addition to "Typed URLs", also "left clicked links", "right clicked links", "middle clicked links", and maybe also the same 3 for "links with target=_blank" (for ultimate configurability).

On the "about:" issue, I already resolved it. I opened regedit, exported "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\http", changed the name to "about", re-imported, deleted the DDE stuff (since they don't work for about), and now it runs fine. Would be nicer if that was available in a wizard or something, but it's well within the range of what I can do manually.

On the double click issue, note in "Tabbed Browsing->TabBar" at the bottom, there is a variety of option for each button, but there is no "do nothing" option. I can't, for instance, set double-click to do nothing.
Also, there is no "close the clicked tab or undo close tab" option, and I'm sort of missing that, even though the keyboard shortcut is probably more convinient, and I'll probably get used to it soon enough.

Posted by: desga2
Date: December 23, 2009 10:28AM

About mouse accelerator presets: Read FAQ.
About define your own mouse accelerators read documentation:
Accelerators
and you can define it in menu Edit -> Configuration -> Accelerators

About mouse behavior in tab bar, you can config it:
In Preferences (F2) -> Browsing -> Tabbed Browsing -> Tab Bar -> "Mouse Control" options.

About "about:" protocol I don't know why not worked for you because this protocol work fine by default in all my installations and portable/7zip versions without change anything in system registry.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: December 24, 2009 07:25PM

desga2
About define your own mouse accelerators read documentation:
Accelerators
Setting aside the whole text edit instead of GUI thing (not like I want it to run a script), that file is empty, but the mouse behavior is not "null". And since there is not "ID_DO_NOTHING", I'm assuming it's not possible to unset a default command.
Well, at least I've found the default accel file, so I can edit that. Talk about user unfriendly.

desga2
About mouse behavior in tab bar, you can config it:
In Preferences (F2) -> Browsing -> Tabbed Browsing -> Tab Bar -> "Mouse Control" options.
Okay, now you're just not reading my messages on purpose. I mentioned that tab specifically at the start of the paragraph you're talking about, and said specifically that it was not there. There is no "none" or "do nothing" setting available in the drop down. There is no checkbox to uncheck. And we've already established that accelerators cannot be unset (not that it matters much, since accelerators apply to the page, and not to the tab).

desga2
About "about:" protocol I don't know why not worked for you because this protocol work fine by default in all my installations and portable/7zip versions without change anything in system registry.
Really? Let's test that theory. First, open "about:blank". Then, drag the icon from the URL bar to the desktop (the desktop must be visible in the background, so no fullscreen). Close K-Meleon (not strictly necessary, but still). Finally, double click on "about:blank" from the desktop.
Now what do you see, K-Meleon, or IE? Yeah, that's what I thought. Follow my above steps for a workaround.

Date: December 24, 2009 08:15PM

You can set a preset configuration for Mouse accelerator or define a new with above documentation. If you like no behavior for mouse you can set the accelerator to call macros(dummy) (not exist ID_DO_NOTHING) but if you use a macro that not exist accelerator do nothing.
The behavior used are the defined in text configuration file (accel.cfg) in your KM profile. (Edit -> Configuration -> Accelerators)

Are you try to setting K-Meleon as default browser?
Almost about: is a protocol not used out of Mozilla browsers.
Work your step to about: protocol links in Firefox?

You can try to set K-Meleon default browser in Preferences (F2) -> "Set As Default Browser ..." button or with this extension Defaulter

But by default I think only html and xml protocols are defined for K-Meleon.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2009 12:59PM by desga2.

Date: December 24, 2009 08:35PM

You're amazingly quick at jumping to claims and judgements, without really knowing more than a first glimpse, and having all the facts. It may help to dig a little deeper and try a bit harder, and suddenly some things aren't quite as "impossible" as you claim so quickly here. E.g. you don't seem to have grasped yet the system of default prefs and user prefs, which are meant to overwrite the default stuff.
But if you want to stick with this browser, you'll have to live with it having about a thousand times less man power than the big ones, and therefore less features and gimmicks, and partly less "user-friendly" to configure. And you're obviously someone who wants everything working exactly his own way in all details, so this isn't going to be easy. On the other hand a lot more than in the prefs-GUI and menus can be customized manually, if you're willing to put up with that script style configuration.

Of course I too would like more gimmicks and an easier configuration! As do lots of other users, but seeing the lacking man power, I'm already very glad to have an ALMOST perfect-for-me browser, that progresses still slowly but surely. So far... There are so many browsers out there, each one with pros and cons, it's just a matter of taste, and everyone can freely choose his preferred "piece of cake", you too! If you're disgusted with the lack of features here, you'll surely find more happiness with another.

Whatever, and I'm just a little poster like you here, but please note that this is an international forum, and not everyone, including not every frequent poster or moderator, is so perfect in english than you. Some struggle quite hard, and occasional misunderstandings are not done on purpose! Please use a minimum of consideration... You sure know a lot about computers in general, but exchanging isn't really fun in such an atmosphere :-/

Posted by: disrupted
Date: December 24, 2009 10:09PM

what's the point of registering the "about" protocol? it's an internal protocol called from within..

Date: December 25, 2009 02:09AM

desga2
Are you try to setting K-Meleon as default browser?
Almost about: is a protocol not used out of Mozilla browsers.
Work your step to about: protocol links in Firefox?

You can try to set K-Meleon default browser in Preferences (F2) -> "Set As Default Browser ..." button or with this extension Defaulter
IE6 intercepts and handles "about:" protocol just fine. It relays the requests to "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSHTML.DLL" or "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHDOCLC.DLL".
Setting K-Meleon as default browser sets http and https, but not about.

disrupted
what's the point of registering the "about" protocol? it's an internal protocol called from within..
Well, try "Start->Run...->about:blank", and you'll get your default browser to open (assuming it's set up okay). Or, how about having a shortcut to "about:config" on your desktop? Since Windows allows link shortcuts, this could be very handy.
Unfortunately, K-Meleon doesn't do this by default, but it can be done manually, as mentioned above.

siria
It may help to dig a little deeper and try a bit harder, and suddenly some things aren't quite as "impossible" as you claim so quickly here.
I did go through the entire list and all tabs accessible through F2 before making my post. Having to track down a text file to edit is a tad "linux", but without the "man" page to tell you where said file is.

siria
But if you want to stick with this browser, you'll have to live with it having about a thousand times less man power than the big ones, and therefore less features and gimmicks
Not looking for gimmicks. Not trying to write oversized macros which surf the web for me. Just trying to configure some basic controls. Or, more importantly, unconfigure some.
Besides, I can't help but wonder why easy configuration is available for some controls (e.g. Bookmarks, URL bar), but not for others (Tabs and links). How difficult could it be to just copy the same UI around?

siria
I'm already very glad to have an ALMOST perfect-for-me browser
Quite frankly, I'm just glad to have a browser which had tabs and opens pages and runs on Windows. To my knowledge, K-Meleon is the only browser which fits this description.

Well, I've finally managed to take care of double-click by setting "kmeleon.tabs.OnDoubleClick" to "-1" in "about:config", I can only hope this preference sticks.

Now all that remains is to get new bookmark tabs to open as last, while keeping link tabs opening as next. Unfortunately, there's no ID_OPEN_LINK_IN_BACKGROUNDTAB_LAST, so I guess I'll have to just live with it the way it is.

Date: December 25, 2009 11:50AM

SlugFiller
disrupted
Well, try "Start->Run...->about:blank", and you'll get your default browser to open (assuming it's set up okay). Or, how about having a shortcut to "about:config" on your desktop? Since Windows allows link shortcuts, this could be very handy.
Unfortunately, K-Meleon doesn't do this by default, but it can be done manually, as mentioned above.

Whow.... Talk about a self-fulfilling purpose, without no real use, except perhaps experimental reasons! Since nothing at the opened browser will be in any way different from having it opened like everyone else does, by a normal program link or a real document link. But if it makes you happy grinning smiley To me it just looks like your trying to crawl into a car by the sunroof, after having mounted a handle on it, and after having complained that it wasn't already there, what a lousy car... Frankly, with such a "bug" I can happily live, LOL! grinning smiley

SlugFiller
I did go through the entire list and all tabs accessible through F2 before making my post. Having to track down a text file to edit is a tad "linux", but without the "man" page to tell you where said file is.
SlugFiller
There is no checkbox to uncheck. And we've already established that accelerators cannot be unset
SlugFiller
finally managed to take care of double-click by setting "kmeleon.tabs.OnDoubleClick" to "-1" in "about:config", I can only hope this preference sticks.

Only the F2 prefs? Why did you not use the other configuration links? For example the one called "Browser Configuration". It would have let you directly to about:config with the filter for all sorts of settings, incl. the one you set now on "-1". Which of course you had declared impossible before with this browser, among other stuff. For other people impossible means something is not possible at all, and you meant it that way too, but now the browser suddenly can do it, a little miracle.

SlugFiller
Quite frankly, I'm just glad to have a browser which had tabs and opens pages and runs on Windows.

Oh, that's all? Good to know, since your postings gave a bit another impression.

SlugFiller
To my knowledge, K-Meleon is the only browser which fits this description.

Really? Whow, now that's news! You don't stop amazing me... :cool:

Date: December 25, 2009 12:45PM

You can set where new tabs are opened in Preferences (F2) -> Browsing -> Tabbed Browsing -> General

To setting where bookmarks is opened go to Preferences (F2) -> K-Meleon Plugins -> Netscape Bookmarks -> General tab -> "Open Netscape Bookmarks Using The" options.

If you like open bookmarks at last and links at next you can make a macro to open links that switch the pref kmeleon.tabs.onOpenOption between values 0 and 1.
For example:
- In accel.cfg file (Edit -> Configuration -> Accelerators) add this line:
LButton = macros(linknext)

- Create a new text file in your Profile macros folder and renamed it like linknext.kmm. Add this code to this file:
# K-Meleon Macros (http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?id=MacroLanguage)
#
# ---------- Open Links at next tab ---------------------------------------------------------
#
# Dependencies		: -
# Resources			: -
# Preferences		: -
# Version			: 1.0
# ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#

linknext{
togglepref(INT, "kmeleon.tabs.onOpenOption", 0, 1);
$OpenURL=$LinkURL;
$OpenURL==""?0:&OpenURL_InNew;
togglepref(INT, "kmeleon.tabs.onOpenOption", 0, 1);
}

$OnLoad=$OnLoad."linknext;";
$macroModules=$macroModules."linknext;";

You must be setting to open at last (value 0) to open bookmarks at last.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2009 01:12PM by desga2.

Date: December 27, 2009 01:23AM

siria
Since nothing at the opened browser will be in any way different from having it opened like everyone else does, by a normal program link or a real document link.
A normal program link to K-Meleon would open the homepage, not "about:blank". You could set the homepage to "about:blank", but you can't set it to both that and, say, "about:config" at the same time.
Besides, think, why do you need a "default handler" for "http" at all? All it does is determine which browser opens links from your harddrive, and, by your argument, they are not needed.
Except that some people do like to set links on their harddrive. And they don't want to go through the trouble of setting a full program link with the necessary command line, they just want to drag and drop the link from the browser to an open folder, which does the trick for creating a link.
Also, generic links are more tolerant to default browser switching (e.g. switching from FireFox to K-Meleon), so you don't have to remake them every time you switch browsers.
Then there's the possibility of starting any page from "Start->Run" without having to type the full path to the browser's executable. Sure, you could first start the browser, the click on the address bar, and only then input the URL, but why not one-step the thing with good old Win+R -> Type address -> Enter?
If all of this is not convincing, then you might as well pull out the "Set as default browser" from the program altogether, but then people use that one, don't they?

siria
Only the F2 prefs? Why did you not use the other configuration links? For example the one called "Browser Configuration".
Well, because they are not documented, and do not carry descriptions? I mean, I can only guess what setting "accessibility.tabfocus" to "7" does, or how it differs from setting it to "6" or "8". Also, there's the fact that it gives you a big "Do not touch this" warning when you open it.
Besides you can't deny that the workaround I found is just that, a workaround, i.e. not a solution. It is pure coincidence that it resulted in the desired behavior, it could have just as easily caused the browser to crash. In fact, in a future version, it may just cause the browser to crash. So unless we're working under the assumption that I'm never going to upgrade to newer releases, this does not qualify as a valid permanent solution.

desga2
If you like open bookmarks at last and links at next you can make a macro to open links that switch the pref kmeleon.tabs.onOpenOption between values 0 and 1.
I don't know if that's crazy or brilliant, but it sounds like it could actually work. I guess I'll try that.

Date: December 27, 2009 09:56AM

slugfiller
A normal program link to K-Meleon would open the homepage, not "about:blank".

WRONG. (As so often, you're declaring things that simply aren't true, not just the occasional glitch, and this is exactly my biggest problem with you.)
Anyway, I do that since years, and that option even almost jumps at you when you first open the Preferences (that you say you examined so closely). In the middle of the very first pref page that opens, simply check: "at startup display a blank page".

slugfiller
Besides, think, why do you need a "default handler" for "http" at all? All it does is determine which browser opens links from your harddrive, and, by your argument, they are not needed.

It's incredible with what you come up. But obviously you didn't bother to read me:
siria
Since nothing at the opened browser will be in any way different from having it opened like everyone else does, by a normal program link or a real document link.

This is a simple link to a document, without such a complicated thing you describe here which would include a command line to a specific browser. But what you are complaining about, is that it's a great deficit for you that the browser "only" has a default handler to open DOCUMENTS, but that there's no handler to open a desktop item "about:blank", which means NOTHING, just the browser itself and an empty page. And this everyone else does by adding the program link on desktop or elsewhere. Still, if you would absolutely set something on your desktop to open a "default browser" without opening any page, you could still just create an empty file on the desktop with an ending ".html", there's absolutely no need to have that start with that completely unusual "about:"

slugfiller
Also, there's the fact that it gives you a big "Do not touch this" warning when you open it.

LOL! That's for completely clueless users, without any experience with other browsers either, but you're certainly not pretending that this would scare people like YOU off ;-) (nor me of course tongue sticking out smiley)

slugfiller
Besides you can't deny that the workaround I found is just that, a workaround, i.e. not a solution.

I've never denied that it's a workaround. We'd be lost without workarounds. What I complain about is that you declare things as "impossible" although they are feasable, whether that's now 100% professional and offered in an option GUI or not. Tricky or not, it works, the browser is ABLE to do it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2009 10:12AM by siria.

Date: December 27, 2009 10:00PM

siria
simply check: "at startup display a blank page".
And if I want a direct link to "about:config"? Do I just check "at startup display the config page"? Even if there was such an option, what if I wanted both?
What about a link to just "about:"? Or have you never seen that page?
The "about:" namespace may not be quite as vast as "http:", but it is not trivial either.

siria
slugfiller

It's incredible with what you come up. But obviously you didn't bother to read me:
siria
Okay, what is your definition for a "document link" exactly?
Explain to me how it works for http, in exactly why it shouldn't work for "about:blank" either.
If it is just a link to an html on the harddrive, then it still doesn't work for, you know, web pages.
If it is a link file, like "http://";, then why shouldn't it work for "about:" as well? Why should a file, in the same file format, sometimes open in K-Meleon, and sometimes not? And mind you, that a valid "http:" link which does work in K-Meleon, if you right click, click on "Properties", and replace "http:" with "about:", would no longer open with K-Meleon.

siria
But what you are complaining about, is that it's a great deficit for you that the browser "only" has a default handler to open DOCUMENTS, but that there's no handler to open a desktop item "about:blank", which means NOTHING, just the browser itself and an empty page.
And what is an http link if not "NOTHING" but opening the browser and inputting the link? What is the difference, exactly, between an http link and an about link? Both are protocols which K-Meleon supports, and must therefore have the option to trap. Or alternately, if you don't believe in protocol trapping, then neither should be trapped.
But one yes and one no is just inconsistent behavior. It is the same file type, after all (.URL, a text file containing a link). It's like a movie player that opens AVIs with Xvid, but somehow lets Windows Media Player open AVIs with DivX (I don't think that's even possible, actually, maybe with DDE). Would that make sense to you?

siria
And this everyone else does by adding the program link on desktop
or elsewhere.
No, some people add the browser's program link to open their homepage, not "about:blank". These two can be configured to be the same, but they can also be used as two different things (configure the browser to open with a homepage, but still have a link to "about:blank"). Just because you can't think of a reason someone would want to do this, doesn't mean it shouldn't be supported.

Incidentally, opening my, now working, "about:blank", if the program is still open, opens a new tab, whereas the program link opens a new window. So these are not equivalent even if you configure them.

siria
you could still just create an empty file on the desktop with an ending ".html", there's absolutely no need to have that start with that completely unusual "about:"
Again, this would only work for emulating , and this still wouldn't be the same, because it will have different load times, disk activity, file type, and text in the URL bar. Not to mention it would show the ".html" extension, whereas ".url" is hidden by default (even if setting extensions to "show"). Oh, you'd better not suggest changing the OS "hide extensions" settings next, a program that forces you to change OS settings is just wrong.

Or, wait, I know, maybe I should create an html with a meta tag which redirects to "about:blank", place it somewhere on my harddrive, then place a shortcut (".lnk", not ".url") to that file? Yeah, that's not overkill or over-complicated at all. Oh, no wait, it would still have the html in the back history. Yup, no go.

siria
slugfiller
Also, there's the fact that it gives you a big "Do not touch this" warning when you open it.

LOL! That's for completely clueless users, without any experience with other browsers either, but you're certainly not pretending that this would scare people like YOU off ;-) (nor me of course tongue sticking out smiley)
1. No, no it isn't. The wrong setting in "about:config" could make your browser to crash. I've crashed 'Fox this way before. And that's the good version, an incorrect setting could also make you abuse your network connection and cache, which you would only notice when your ISP sends you an angry letter, or when you realize your every post is a double-post. The settings there are mostly for people who have already had a look at the source code and know precisely what they're doing.
2. Who said that didn't scare me off? When I found it in the menu and saw the big message, I read it as it was displayed, as a "Do not enter!", so I didn't enter. I only finally entered when I saw I have no choice, and I'm still crossing my fingers that there wouldn't be any nasty side effects (like my bookmarks becoming corrupted or something).
3. Are we now assuming that the average K-Meleon user is at "developer" level? Do I even have to explain what's wrong with that? Or are we just assuming that every user who wants to disable double-click behavior is a developer? Maybe it's just me, but I don't see how one would imply the other.

desga2
Alas, it only worked partially. Unfortunately, there's no way to trap left click behavior, or scripts, I can't make it work on "target=_blank" or javascript pop-ups.
Setting the left button accelerator didn't work either, since there is no command for opening links with respect to javascript and target (ID_OPEN_LINK ignores these).
I can set it backwards, using the macro behavior on bookmarks. But, again, I can't set it for opening ".url" or ".html" files, nor for the behavior of clicking on the tab bar.

So this issue is, unfortunately, without a workaround. Unless I want to try and compile K-Meleon myself (Although I don't think that counts as a "workaround").

P.S. Do any developers even read this forum? Should I post this in the SF tracker instead?

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.