K-meleon announcements. 
Pages: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Set default.exe and Installers for 74
Posted by: JujuLand
Date: February 08, 2014 09:28AM

George,

The complete KmPackager (33 Mb) is avalaible on my site JujuLand,
You have just to unzip it in a folder where it can be run (MyApplications ?).

In one KmPackager folder (the root, if I remember), you can find the source of the nsis setup.

But, as guenter said, if I'm always able to create the installer under Linux (I created a few one under Linux), I'm not able to fix the 'default browser' setting. And I surely don't have the way, and want to install Win 7 ou 8.x

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2014 12:39PM by JujuLand.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: guenter
Date: February 08, 2014 12:25PM

JujuLand

The complete KmPackager is avalaible on my site JujuLand,

In one KmPackager folder (the root, if I remember), you can find the source of the nsis setup.

But, as guenter said, if I'm always able to create the installer under Linux (I created a few one under Linux), I'm not able to fix the 'default browser' setting. And I surely don't have the way, and want to install Win 7 ou 8.x

1.) Thx. I did not know that it was available for download and I do not have a site anymore so I could not upload - even if I wanted to.

2.) Yes, SetDefault.nsi, K-meleon.nsi and the rest is under ./install dir/KMPackager(version)/bin/KMVersion(last one You used it for)/install/...

3.) Yes, Why would You install these products if You value Your privacy?

German Federal buro for software security posted that that US NS office & alii made that big US OS vendors build backdoors e.g. into recent Windows versions (8+). Looks like we all sooner or later use K-Meleon on wine. Since the US government simply creates reasons that the big US software firms go out of business with all the EC government institutions and private users for security reasons. ;-)

BTW. What a pity. MS was one of the biggest donors to free software. sad smiley

p.s. I cannot see why anyone would want to update the good old installer package.
It installs ok and naruman's fix can IMO be used to make K-Meleon default. grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2014 01:10PM by guenter.

Date: February 08, 2014 01:02PM

guenter
I cannot see why anyone would want to update the good old installer package.
It installs ok and naruman's fix can IMO be used to make K-Meleon default.

Yes, There a very little things to update or modify:

1) The big one is that the setdefault must be able to set K-Meleon as default browser for Win 7 and more.

2) Perhaps some minor things to change, for example local translations, if it has changed since previous versions.

Else, I don't see anything...

I'm ready to make a new package if I can have the links to download all the needed version, hack, ...

I'm also ready to create a folder to keep in line this things. I use Dropbox and it possible to share a folder with others dropbox users in read/write mode.

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2014 01:03PM by JujuLand.

K-Meleon 74 Beta
Posted by: naruman
Date: February 08, 2014 03:36PM

I had managed to solve "set as default" problem for K-meleon Also fixes some other things like :

-Activate "exceptions" (Using jsbridge) .
-Keyword autosearch .
-Activate about:newtab & about:downloads .
-Installer .

But i waiting for New Dorian release with "Context menu " fix to upload it in the final release.

As for now This is simple Installer (without KM files ) it set/remove km as default (work win 7) .

Note:
K-meleon Files should be in [C:\Program Files\K-Meleon] to open "htm,..." files .
this is initial version & it will be improved

Re: K-Meleon 74 Beta
Date: February 08, 2014 06:14PM

naruman
I had managed to solve "set as default" problem for K-meleon
Ok, that's what we need for setup and setdefault

naruman
-Installer .
But i waiting for New Dorian release with "Context menu " fix to upload it in the final release.
Sure that Dorian can help ...

naruman
As for now This is simple Installer (without KM files ) it set/remove km as default (work win 7).
This installer is unusable with Linux and is to avoid ...
A haven't be able to use it or to keep K-Meleon files.

naruman
Note:
K-meleon Files should be in [C:\Program Files\K-Meleon] to open "htm,..." files .

I don't understand what you want to say ...
This is the default folder purposed by the setup, but it can be changed, and it works elsewhere.
Would you mean that with seven or eight, it ought to be other as it's a 32 bits program ?

A+

A+

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2014 06:14PM by JujuLand.

Posted by: George Hall
Date: February 09, 2014 05:09AM

naruman
I had managed to solve "set as default" problem for K-meleon Also fixes some other things like :

-Activate "exceptions" (Using jsbridge) .
-Keyword autosearch .
-Activate about:newtab & about:downloads .
-Installer .

As for now This is simple Installer (without KM files ) it set/remove km as default (work win 7) .

Note:

This things that are not as good as SetDefault.exe which need to be changed in your installer are

1. Your Installer does not have the useful options that SetDefault.exe has.

2. It uses the Microsoft Software Installer which has higher system requirements and memmory overhead than SetDefault.exe does.

3. SetDefault,exe points the folder that K-Meleon is installed which is the folder that SetDefault.exe is located in and your installer doe not do that,

4. It can not create system shortcuts and SetDefault.exe can do that.

5. You can not select which protcols that K-Meleon will be the Default Browser for and SetDefault.exe can do that

6. You can not chose which extensions that K-Meleon will be the Default Browser for and SetDefault.exe can do that.

7. It works same way as K-Meleon 1.8.0 which clicking "Set as Defaulr Browser" in the Browser Preferences does not allow you to choose the options 4, 5, and 6 above which you can be done with SetDefault.exe in the browser preferences.

Date: February 09, 2014 08:39AM

George, I'm right with you ...

All we need, is the complete list of registry keys to modify, and the way to modify it. I remember that just modifying it or addind it, doesn't work.

This Windows registry is really a shit...

A+

Posted by: guenter
Date: February 09, 2014 10:02AM

@ alain. The Win 98 user base does not exist anymore - mostly.

The text that catered for it - must now explicitly point at the portable install option. With perhaps a warning, that if used for a HDD install it needs that the admin grants privileges for the ./K-Meleon install/profiles folder - especially on Win Vista and Win7+.

Worse, many security products will stop the start or put K-Meleon into a sandbox, if it starts in an unusual place. I had visitors complain on my Win7 machine.
After I installed new security software a user clicked away the warning that an exe started in an unusual location and would be put into the sandbox. After that all complained that bookmarks disappeared again new default page and other changes would not be remembered. The exe could not write into profiles...
K-Meleon1.6b2 including ./profiles at that time was in D: / backups/ :s

Greetings to France

p.s. Maybe using naruman's fix would avoid making a list of all the hogwash of past and presently used registry keys. A year ago deadlock already tried to solve the problem that way. You always find one forgotten or obsolete key on one test machine.

Set as "browser" uses MS infrastructure. Just like the MSI installer.
MS has the resources and the lists. It should work.

@ naruman. Thx for Your hard work, great fixes and improvements.

You developers must decide what is best suited.

But I as user would hesitate to change to msi. The community knows the old installer/setdefault pair.
It is part of the known brand identity just like the old logo...
Call it nostalgia. If You want. smiling smiley

msi installers are less fault tolerant. They start slower, need more resources.
(system, developer and translator resources?)...

Last not least. Some people (that were active in the past or still are, contributors like alain, disrupted and Fred) moved to Linux or other wine using OSes. I'd hate to make it harder for them and for the Unix Wine users in general.

alain invested much time to improve the ancient SetDefault.exe to its current level.
Before alain's work it was only a simple English version.
Since K-Meleon 1.0 K-Meleon needs an international version.
It is easy to translate NSI sources!

I believe in reusing existing code. It is usually less work (last not least because the setdefault package is translated into some languages already - some European nations prefer their own language for software).

What do You think. Is there a way to call Your SetDefault fix from alain's setdefault.exe? That is IMHO the way that costs the smallest developer/translator time.

Greetings to Egypt

@ George Hall. IMHO naruman has Windows 7+ in mind. MSI uses the Windows infrastructure. Choice can cause privilege conflicts, due to the US/MS habit
of "beneficially guiding" the user. Using MSI avoids that problem.

It is no good to ask for changes unless You want to accomplish them Yourself.
It will IMHO create FAQs if the average Dick, Tom and Harry installs KM where he wants - without warning and knowledge.

IMHO we have to reuse the old installer/SetDafault pair more or less as it is.
It has been honed close to perfection. The K-Meleon community knows it.

BTW. It is easy for the English to ask for whistles and bells but remember that the other languages need a contributor to translate each not so vital new item.

Greetings to the US

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2014 10:26AM by guenter.

Posted by: George Hall
Date: February 16, 2014 12:10PM

In kprefs some functions use "CurProcD" whuich points to the browser folder in K-Meleon 74Beta2.

However if place "GreD" in some of those functions may work that are not working now.

pref.js uses "CurProcD" to the macro folder which points to the location of browser folder as the location of the macros folder unless the koatch function redirects to path to kmeleon.

If removed kpath function and replaces "CurProcD" with "GreD" would point to the K-Meleon 74Beta2 program folder.

There are other kprefs functions that use "CurProcD" by replacing "CurProcD" with "GreD" in those functions may fix some functions that are not working now.

Some of those function may not be using kpath function or kpath function dors not work with it.

Fore exmapke in the function below in pref-appearance.xul "CurProcD" shich point to the location of the locales.

_getLocales : function () {
this.lcls[0] = "en-US";
var dir = getFile(getFolder("CurProcD"), "locales");
if (dir.exists() && dir.isDirectory()) {
var file,
files = dir.directoryEntries;
while (files.hasMoreElements()) {
file = files.getNext();
if (file instanceof Components.interfaces.nsILocalFile)
if (file.isDirectory())
this.lcls[this.lcls.length] = file.leafName;
}
}

"CurProcD" may not point the thier location becuase it may point to the browser folder.

Using "GreD" in that function may point to the locales.

Posted by: bob
Date: May 13, 2014 08:35PM

74 Beta 3 on XP
proxy settings doesnt work.

Pages: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.