Announcements :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-meleon announcements. 
Pages: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 9 of 10
Re: K-Meleon 74 Beta 3
Posted by: JohnHell
Date: May 10, 2014 05:23PM

guenter
p.s. JohnHell You bet me. But I could not find anthing in my user.js that reset the path to offer first %APPDATA% folder or anything.

Mmm, right now, if others can test (CAUTION make boorkmarks backup first as it is quite frustrating to test) I won't to on an XP SP2 virtual machine, yet. My test was on Windows 2000 and could make something strange too I didn't thought on a 2k problem only, reading torbetron explanation.

Anyway you were able to reproduce in some way so the bug is confirmed, at least as not working feature.

But is something different, now I don't remember if the restore button was enabled at all, and maybe that did the trick for you. As I said, the path in preference window also remained the default path...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: guenter
Date: May 10, 2014 06:51PM

Yes but we possibly have an update problem. And maybe a XP problem.
I am trying to recompile the Mozilla sources with target Win XP currently.

Found that I forgot half of how 2 and the rest has been changed by Moozilla.org. :s

Date: May 10, 2014 07:09PM

LOL, changes, changes and changes.

Finally I started doing things with another virtual machine and tested on XP SP2. It happens the same behavior as in Windows 2000. It's strange it doesn't happen to you the same.

Also a file is created in the K-meleon Root without extension with the letter of the drive where it should load the boorkmarks from. The file is empty.

Posted by: torbetron
Date: May 10, 2014 07:44PM

Thanks JohnHell and Guenter for your suggestions. I tried the trick suggested by Guenter (place my bookmarks.html file in the default location, then change the location in the preferences dialog box, then set it to default), and that did the trick! It just means that my bookmarks file will be in the default location, but I'm okay with that until a new fixed version of K-Meleon comes out.

Note, the version of K-Meleon I downloaded is Version 74, Beta 3, and I downloaded it by following the link on the very first post (page 1) of this thread. I presume that this link is always the most up-to-date? There seems to be another version, 1.8, under development as well. Hopefully I downloaded the proper version?

Thanks again for your help!!

Date: May 10, 2014 08:25PM

There are 2 more updates to beta 3 in the thread. But as the test, still have such problem.

Should be edited the first post of this thread to avoid confusions adding the new updates.

From a JamesD post:

Beta 3: http://kmeleon.sf.net/files/K-Meleon74.0Beta3.exe (at the beginning of the thread)

Update one: http://kmeleon.sf.net/files/K-Meleon74.0Beta3up1.7z

Update two: http://kmeleon.sf.net/files/K-Meleon74.0Beta3up2.7z

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2014 08:26PM by JohnHell.

Date: May 10, 2014 09:01PM

Okay, thank-you, I just replaced my executable with update 2.

I spoke a little too soon, as there is still a little bookmark bug I'm experiencing. While the bookmarks.html file is loading fine now, and existing bookmarks from this original file function fine, unfortunately a problem occurs when I try to create a new bookmark. It saves the name of the link, but not the URL associated with it. That is, when I try to use the newly saved bookmark, nothing happens (because there's no URL). This happened for with both the original executable and now the update 2. Restarting K-Meleon doesn't help. When I Edit Bookmarks to investigate, I confirm that there's no URL associated with the bookmark.

Date: May 10, 2014 10:29PM

torbetron
Okay, thank-you, I just replaced my executable with update 2.

I spoke a little too soon, as there is still a little bookmark bug I'm experiencing. While the bookmarks.html file is loading fine now, and existing bookmarks from this original file function fine, unfortunately a problem occurs when I try to create a new bookmark. It saves the name of the link, but not the URL associated with it. That is, when I try to use the newly saved bookmark, nothing happens (because there's no URL). This happened for with both the original executable and now the update 2. Restarting K-Meleon doesn't help. When I Edit Bookmarks to investigate, I confirm that there's no URL associated with the bookmark.

That behavior or maybe bug seems totally new to me. sad smiley

// John what can we say to this but "mierda" or North German for me "Schiet". grinning smiley

Ok torbetron. Do the bookmarks.dll from 1.6 or earlier work at Your sytem?!

Provided You copy their respective CRuntimes to 74 also.

Maybe do that as interim solution for Your system. Bookmarks and some other dll do not depend on updates in the Mozilla code. Names of the runtimes: msvcp80.dll (maybe also msvcr80.dll) for 1.6 and msvcr71.dll (maybe also msvcp71.dll) for 1.5.x. The first is sufficient for bookmarks if my memory is correct.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2014 10:35PM by guenter.

Date: May 12, 2014 12:06AM

Okay, I just did what you said, by downloading the 1.6 Beta2 7-zip package (because I had previously uninstalled this version), copied over bookmarks.dll into the folder kplugins, and the msv*80.dll files to the main k-meleon directory. Then, I started K-Meleon and tried to save a bookmark, and it totally worked!

So thank-you, Guenter, I definitely wouldn't have figured out any of this without your help!

-Eric

Posted by: c-sanchez
Date: May 12, 2014 10:57PM

Ok, recently try running K-Meleon 74 beta 3 on Windows XP SP1 (Yeah, 1)
But this did not work, gave me a problem about " kernel32.dll ", I think remember.
The same happened with other versions of K -Meleon, such as 1.5.
Look it is not easy to download a browser from IE tongue sticking out smiley

I wonder if I could make it work on any Windows XP (It would be good that would work even without SP), It is a shame that requires SP2 or SP3 (I'm not sure what can be) to operate.

Talking about something else...
ReactOS Open Source Development Program
What think?

Posted by: thomase13
Date: May 12, 2014 11:32PM

c-sanchez
Ok, recently try running K-Meleon 74 beta 3 on Windows XP SP1 (Yeah, 1)[...]
It is a shame that requires SP2 or SP3 (I'm not sure what can be) to operate.

I am just curious, but why haven't you updated to Service Pack 3?
It's one thing to still be on Windows XP (I am!), but why would anyone still be on SP1?
Do SP2 and 3 remove any actual functionality (other than disabling Program Manager, which can be restored, by the way!)

c-sanchez
What think?
It's quite interesting, and it is my one hope for using a computer if Windows XP is no longer usable at some date. Unfortunately, it is only at version 0.4 at present. Hopefully development continues to be successful, but that will yet to be seen!
I don't like to think about that day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2014 11:41PM by thomase13.

Date: May 13, 2014 02:07AM

I am just curious, but why haven't you updated to Service Pack 3?
It's one thing to still be on Windows XP (I am!), but why would anyone still be on SP1?
Do SP2 and 3 remove any actual functionality (other than disabling Program Manager, which can be restored, by the way!)
My pc is poor in resources (256mb ram, 750mhz)
Someone told me I could use Windows XP SP1 without much trouble.
and it is better to use Windows XP SP1 to SP3 in my case, because what makes WinXP "heavy" are the last two SP.
Apparently there is little difference, besides losing the possibility of perhaps use new versions .NET framework, which little (nothing) really i care about.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2014 03:04AM by c-sanchez.

Date: May 13, 2014 06:49AM

c-sanchez
Ok, recently try running K-Meleon 74 beta 3 on Windows XP SP1 (Yeah, 1)
But this did not work, gave me a problem about " kernel32.dll ", I think remember.
The same happened with other versions of K -Meleon, such as 1.5.
Look it is not easy to download a browser from IE tongue sticking out smiley

I wonder if I could make it work on any Windows XP (It would be good that would work even without SP), It is a shame that requires SP2 or SP3 (I'm not sure what can be) to operate.

What think?

Nlite found http://www.nliteos.com/nlite.html gives You control what XP installs. XP can become as light as Win2000 was and did work for me on a PIII 500 with 192 MB of RAM on a 2 GB partition. Data and programms I directed to install on another drive. Features like Security Center, that adds some more services, that comes with SP2, can be deactivated with XP Antispy http://xp-antispy.org/. So XP with SP2 and SP3 become as light as XP SP1. Programs that occupy resources because their programer/provider thought they are worth to be in autostart such as updaters from Google, Antivir, Sun Java, Macromedia... can be stopped to autostart with with autoruns by the Sysinternals branch (yes MS bought them) of Microsoft. http://technet.microsoft.com/de-de/sysinternals/bb545021.aspx They also offer a suite of other nifty tools like an alternative Windows task manager called Process Explorer. IMHO normal XP can become as light as the Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PC version only offered by MS to firms for their older PCs. https://www.google.com/search?q=sysinternal%20suite#q=xp+flp BTW WIN FLP was suggested by desga2 the long time translator for Spanish for older Windows PC.
Maybe it can be found still in UseNet.

Reactos project is not far enough. There is a thread in Off Topic forum for that.

I am currently trying to compile a Firefox/GRE with VC 8. The VC8 compiler is not supported by Mozilla anymore. The compiler version might be able to support earlier Windows. The idea/project is still in its´infancy/childhood. The first succesful build finished last night 1.30 h CET after a week of failures on my two building machines.

p.s. can You mail me a correct e-mail address I had a question because of Your attempt to translate to Spanish. Someone wanted to assist You with it. The mail address You gave to forum reported error. Person does nor exist.

IMHO it is better if people give correct mail when they create a forum account. If any loose forum password they can only get the account back if You have a correct mail.

My Forum mail address is publik & visible. I have never received any SPAM because of it. SPAM bots that havest mail sddress for spammers never found it in all the years.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2014 07:07AM by guenter.

Posted by: adodupan
Date: May 14, 2014 12:00PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2016 09:13PM by adodupan.

Date: May 14, 2014 02:03PM

adodupan, Your last 1.8 indicated IMHO by the name of the 7z. installer that it might be usable with Windows 2k. I could not start it on my Win2000 machine.
A funktion was missing.

1.) What conditions must the Win2000 machine fullfill except update 4. Which is AFAIK the last official German update to that Win version.

2.) How did You try to do this?
What did You do so far?

3.) I currently try to build the esr 24.5 GRE with an older compiler not surported any more by Mozilla.org (VC8 & if I cannot succed with that I will try with VC9).

I have the idea that it might be still possible to target older Windows versions if the preconditions are met.

I will appreciate any advise, info or help.

p.s. My current working machines are XP & I start to hear the bell toll for them.
With my WinMe and Win2000 backup machines I slept. XP was ok when configured to my tastes but I do not like the look and feel of 7 or worse newer MS systems.

Date: May 14, 2014 04:56PM

As a Windows 2000 user I think I can answer.

The 1.8 has the same KernelEx or Kernel Wrappers requirements as K-meleon 74. It was also compiled with VC++10 without tick the Windows 2000 compatibility too.

Date: May 14, 2014 05:07PM

Thanks for the recommendation of programs guenter.
I've corrected the email address in my profile, do not know why I put other tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2014 05:07PM by c-sanchez.

Posted by: elexio
Date: May 15, 2014 05:29AM

Your browser crashes, when I trying to open images at social network(vk.com).

Posted by: elexio
Date: May 15, 2014 05:50AM

The best version of Mozilla firefoks - is the version 3.6.16. there's little functionality and standards support, but is the most reliable of all versions.

Date: May 15, 2014 08:30AM

JohnHell

The 1.8 has the same KernelEx or Kernel Wrappers requirements as K-meleon 74. It was also compiled with VC++10 without tick the Windows 2000 compatibility too.

I have no link I understand for a kernel-EX version for Win2000. sad smiley
I found no links to language that I can partly understand.

I can not read no Japanese or Chinese that still seem to have such info.

Date: May 15, 2014 08:34AM

elexio
The best version of Mozilla firefoks - is the version 3.6.16. there's little functionality and standards support, but is the most reliable of all versions.

Maybe try with K-Meleon 1.7a. That is based on the same GRE as FF 3.6.
A Russian translation can possibly be found via K-Meleon Russia.

1.7 was a stable versions that was discontiued because no time.
And now the GRE is old.

Date: May 15, 2014 03:44PM

guenter
JohnHell

I have no link I understand for a kernel-EX version for Win2000. sad smiley
I found no links to language that I can partly understand.

I can not read no Japanese or Chinese that still seem to have such info.

Start form here (the admins were/are German too and there is a guide in German for the wrappers) or the MSFN.org forums, where it is BlackWingCat (it was before in the other site), the japanese person who releases the KDW Kernel Wrapper and [one of the] KernelEx.

The main reference for how to install/use the KernelEx, aside his japanese blog, is at the MSFN forums.

I suggested him several times to translate its blog to english, but insists on relay on online translators...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2014 03:45PM by JohnHell.

Posted by: adodupan
Date: May 15, 2014 08:51PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2016 09:13PM by adodupan.

Date: May 16, 2014 10:02AM

JohnHell

Start form here (the admins were/are German too and there is a guide in German for the wrappers) or the MSFN.org forums, where it is BlackWingCat (it was before in the other site), the japanese person who releases the KDW Kernel Wrapper and [one of the] KernelEx.

The main reference for how to install/use the KernelEx, aside his japanese blog, is at the MSFN forums.

I suggested him several times to translate its blog to english, but insists on relay on online translators...

Thanx adodupan and JohnHell, for Your efforts, help, advice and links.

I even have found some months ago the link to the big Win2000 wrapper FAQs.

http://win2kgaming.prophpbb.com/topic319.html?sid=738f00294996e2715e74af5f19bc30a1

But the OldCigarettes' main old download page http://oldcigaret.info/?f is a cigarettes vendor and advertizer now with no Win2000 wrappers.

As I stated before. I woke up too late for my oldest Laptop that still works.

I must see that this does not happen again for my current XP machines.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2014 10:04AM by guenter.

Posted by: Greyfootcat
Date: May 16, 2014 04:43PM

You can run K-Meleon on W2K with the 5.2 pack
http://www.windows2000.tk/index.html

2k many resources here: http://w2k.flxsrv.org/

Date: May 16, 2014 06:26PM

guenter

Thanx adodupan and JohnHell, for Your efforts, help, advice and links.

I even have found some months ago the link to the big Win2000 wrapper FAQs.

http://win2kgaming.prophpbb.com/topic319.html?sid=738f00294996e2715e74af5f19bc30a1

But the OldCigarettes' main old download page http://oldcigaret.info/?f is a cigarettes vendor and advertizer now with no Win2000 wrappers.

Yes, OldCigarette "left" his project to dedicate to his life, but I still have some his versions. The latest, the 1.10, has the source code.

Note that the KDW has more functions wrapped. But even so, sometimes this wrapper works better, but think that it is older.

win2k_xp_v1_5.zip
win2k_xp_v1_7.zip
win2k_xp_v1_8.zip
win2k_xp_v1_9.zip
win2k_xp_v1_10.zip

guenter
As I stated before. I woke up too late for my oldest Laptop that still works.

I must see that this does not happen again for my current XP machines.

What, leave machines working? XDD

Date: May 17, 2014 05:43PM

Greyfootcat
You can run K-Meleon on W2K with the 5.2 pack
http://www.windows2000.tk/index.html

2k many resources here: http://w2k.flxsrv.org/

ThX. I did not find the first link. That has a collection of updates. I can read it and it has a German version to download. So I do not need to hack the English version to work.

The second link I knew but could not read what he writes. It I also knew it leads to blackwingcat's blog which seems to be the source for many Win2000 related recent & current updates. I cannot read that either.

With the help of Your first link I found this interesting topic at Mozillazine:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2482475

JonhHell Thx for creating the uploads. All are accompanied by the sources.

Guess I have all it needs to update the Win2000 Laptop.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2014 06:05PM by guenter.

Date: May 18, 2014 01:31AM

Going "on topic" again, can someone confirm that when you type something in the address bar and, instead highlight and accept with the keyboard, you click in a menu entry with the mouse, it doesn't load the url you clicked but other?

Looks like some kind of match and display in drop down menu relation problem.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: May 18, 2014 01:08PM

JohnHell
Going "on topic" again, can someone confirm that when you type something in the address bar and, instead highlight and accept with the keyboard, you click in a menu entry with the mouse, it doesn't load the url you clicked but other?

Looks like some kind of match and display in drop down menu relation problem.

I can confirm. It is a bug or a feature? I will do more testing.

EDIT: I tried two different versions of 1.7 and they show the menu item immediately. I used TOOLS - Error Console. I guess it must be a bug.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2014 01:16PM by JamesD.

Date: May 18, 2014 10:59PM

I don't think it is a feature.

For example, if see in the drop down yahoo, and you click to go to yahoo, you don't want to go to google winking smiley

Posted by: jonaspm
Date: May 21, 2014 10:50PM

You should join the ReactOS Open Source Support Program!

More info: http://community.reactos.org/index.php/support/programs/opensource-development-program

Pages: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 9 of 10

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.