Announcements :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-meleon announcements. 
Pages: Previous12345678910
Current Page: 10 of 10
Re: K-Meleon 74 Beta 3
Posted by: SamuelMaki
Date: May 22, 2014 08:28PM

Hey! Tried to play with this current version of K-Meleon, but found a bug. I did clean (delete) the search engines from the options, but now when I try to add some, they don't show up on the search-options (even after restart). So, the url-bar doesn't work as search bar for me anymore. Any tips how to start to troubleshoot this or should I do clean install and not touch the search engines?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: JamesD
Date: May 23, 2014 11:57AM

Does the item 'Configure...' still show under TOOLS - WEB SEARCH? If it does, click on that and then go the 'Web Search' tab. There is a button near the bottom marked 'Add'.

Date: May 23, 2014 01:41PM

JamesD
Does the item 'Configure...' still show under TOOLS - WEB SEARCH? If it does, click on that and then go the 'Web Search' tab. There is a button near the bottom marked 'Add'.
Yes, it shows there and seems to work, adding the (google.fi) to the search providers list, but still cannot add it to the other two tabs (websearch and multisearch) resulting it not being used with the url-bar at all.

Date: May 23, 2014 01:47PM

Well, sorry for double posts, did delete all search providers and add my custom one only this time. When restarted K-Meleon it did show up on the search providers list and also on websearch... seems I did make some mistake earlier.

Sorry for confusion.

Posted by: guenter
Date: May 24, 2014 01:36PM

SamuelMaki
Well, sorry for double posts, did delete all search providers and add my custom one only this time. When restarted K-Meleon it did show up on the search providers list and also on websearch... seems I did make some mistake earlier.

Sorry for confusion.

Never mind.

You could copy your personalized search.xml from Your old 1.5.4 or 1.6 profile to the new 74 profile or reuse the old profile completely to save Yourself the work of reconfiguring some search and other preferences.

Greetings to .fi (Suomi) from .de (Lower Saxony)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2014 05:50PM by guenter.

Posted by: martinw2
Date: May 26, 2014 01:45PM

I had exactly the same problem as above with the search engines (reported in bugs forum). I found a bit of a fix by copying the search.xml from the main K-Melon folder into the documents and settings-K-Melon folder. Clearly in windows XP the program takes some of the settings from the 'documents and settings' rather than the program being self contained. I got back all the search engines but still cannot 'add' another one on the last tab of settings. Also, something is wrong with the 'change user agent' tab. It leads back to the acknowledgements page. Don't know if the two bugs are connected?

Martin

Posted by: marcoas
Date: May 26, 2014 06:12PM

Good Job

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2014 06:19PM by marcoas.

Posted by: thomase13
Date: May 26, 2014 06:38PM

martinw2
I had exactly the same problem as above with the search engines (reported in bugs forum). I found a bit of a fix by copying the search.xml from the main K-Melon folder into the documents and settings-K-Melon folder. Clearly in windows XP the program takes some of the settings from the 'documents and settings' rather than the program being self contained. I got back all the search engines but still cannot 'add' another one on the last tab of settings. Also, something is wrong with the 'change user agent' tab. It leads back to the acknowledgements page. Don't know if the two bugs are connected?

Martin

I use Windows XP and could not change my settings for the search engines in Preferences.

guenter
You can change these keys via about:config?

kmeleon.general.searchEngine;http://duckduckgo.com/?q=

kmeleon.general.searchEngineName;DuckDuckGo

This is the only way I could get them to change.

I don't know what you mean by the user agent tab — I didn't see anything in Preferences, but I have changed mine with no problem by going to the Tools menu and User Agent.

Speaking of user agents, Outlook.com's K-Meleon user agent problem was really bothering me, as I hate to completely remove "K-Meleon/74.0" from the string, as I am a proud K-Meleon user and I want people to know it!
It would be a shame for all K-M users to be invisible Web surfers!

Fortunately, I have found a solution. Not completely ideal, but it works for Outlook.com.
I have changed my string to:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:29.0) Gecko/20140105 Firefox/29.0 K-Meleon/74.0
Apparently they care about the Gecko version number but not the build date, as I haven't changed that.

UPDATE:
I now use:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:25) Gecko/20140105 Firefox/25 K-Meleon/74.0
Apparently, Firefox 25 is high enough for both the latest Google and Hotmail interfaces. Just about everyone probably just ignores the K-Meleon part at the end, but hopefully some statistics people are knowing about the complexities of user agent strings.

The "pretending to be Firefox but not totally" idea is from here.

In case you were wondering, the following strings do not work:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:24.0) Gecko/20140105 Firefox/24.0 K-Meleon/74.0
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:29.0) Gecko/20140105 K-Meleon/74.0
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:24.0) Gecko/20140105 Firefox/29.0 K-Meleon/74.0

Works for Google, but not Hotmail:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:24.4) Gecko/20140105 Firefox/24.4 K-Meleon/74.0

If anyone was curious about why nearly all strings start with Mozilla 5.0, this is the best explanation I've ever seen!

tl;dr:
Mozilla/5.0 = Gecko (0.9 or 1)

I think it would be interesting if they changed it so that Mozilla 6.0 = Gecko 2.0, etc. If so, we'd be on Mozilla 33 by now! smiling smiley
I guess whichever way you do it it's kind of confusing - I can see why they just say Mozilla/5.0 = Gecko. Maintaining a separate version number for Mozilla, Netscape, Firefox, and Gecko would be a bit silly, especially since Netscape no longer exists, and "Mozilla" ceased to have any meaning once Netscape 6.0 used "Mozilla 5.0", a.k.a. Gecko 0.9.

Anyway, I am just happy about finding this workaround that doesn't exclude the mention of K-M. If anyone finds a more elegant method of doing this, do let me know! smiling smiley

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2014 07:44PM by thomase13.

Date: May 26, 2014 06:46PM

martinw2

Martin

Hope the followig info is of some help or info.

On all Windows K-Meleon can be either self contained / portable or system integrated.

Local or portable is Your choice at setup.

If You choose portable a profile.ini will be written in the setup folder and the

profiles folder is created in ./install-path/K-Meleon/Profiles/...

If You choose local no profile.ini is written and the profiles folder is created in User/%APPDATA/K-Meleon/Profiles, the system default location.

That is where You say on XP.

You can later write or delete the profile.ini manualy to change this setting.
Empty file with the name is enough.

The profiles are self contained by default no matter where they are written. You can add settings that make them less self contained e.g. point to an external bookmarks.html. A choice which does not work currently. grinning smiley

You can copy the content of the profiles sub folder (Your profile with some name) from one location to another. For example when You want to create a new portable km on an USB stick. You can even reuse the data from a local setup that has profiles in %APPDATA%. Create a portable profile on the USB and copy the content of the used local profile of Your choice into it.

SamuelMaki had to restart the browser so that it wrote data into an empty search.xml in the used profile. No idea why.

There is always a default search.xml with standart settings in
./K-Meleon/defaults/profile for official versions 1.0 until 1.7a
./K-Meleon/browser/defaults/profile for 1.8 and 74.

This folder called profile with all its content is used to create new profiles.
Advanced users sometimes personalize things right there.

Via the Prefernces Panel You always edit the search.xml in Your used profile never that in the ./defaults/...

K-Meleon sometimes (usually after a scan disk run) forgets the used profile's location path = where the used profile is. The files in the profiles are almost never damaged when this happens. When a profile is lost. K-Melon will create a new one usually right next to it. Copy the data over to the new one is the easiest way to recover an old profile's data.

74 does not have the macro and prefs entries to switch the user agent string.
If You want the feature back You can copy an old useragent.kmm from 1.5.4, 1.6 or 1.7 to 74's macros folder. Next add an agent.js with the following code to K-Meleon/browser/defaults/preferences

pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent1.name", "Firefox 24 ESR");
pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent1.string", "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:24.3) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/24.3");
pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent2.name", "SeaMonkey");
pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent2.string", "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:27.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/27.0 SeaMonkey/2.24");

You can add more agent strings. Next would be:

pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent3.name", ...
pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent3.string", ...

You can alernatively add the code to an existing js there. It used to be in I10n.js in section.

# Privacy

You cam allernatively create such items in the used profile/prefs.js via the URL about:config.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2014 06:58PM by guenter.

Posted by: marcoas
Date: May 27, 2014 06:04PM

(Spanish version)
Quisiera colaborar con la traduccion al español (Argentina)
Pero no tengo claro,
* ¿Donde obtener la ultima version (si existe) de una traduccion? y
* ¿Donde subir mi version para dejarla publica ?

(Translated by Google)
I would like to collaborate with translation into Spanish (Argentina)
But I have no clear
  * Where to get the newest version (if any) of a translation? and
  * Where to leave up my version published?

Date: June 03, 2014 07:01PM

marcoas
(Spanish version)
Quisiera colaborar con la traduccion al español (Argentina)
Pero no tengo claro,
* ¿Donde obtener la ultima version (si existe) de una traduccion? y
* ¿Donde subir mi version para dejarla publica ?

(Translated by Google)
I would like to collaborate with translation into Spanish (Argentina)
But I have no clear
  * Where to get the newest version (if any) of a translation? and
  * Where to leave up my version published?

Hola.

JohnHell and c-sanchez speak Spanish.
Write to them in a thread where they post.

I think they translated some.

The Spanish menues that come from Kmeleon.kml and the dll still mostly work.

You copy desga2's old es-ES locale from 1.5.4 ./locales/es-ES into the same location in 74.

Then You go to the English F2 -> GUI Appearance settings and change to es-ES.

The chrome is not yet translated AFAIK.

Greetings from Germany

Google translation.

JohnHell y c-sanchez hablan español.
Escribe a ellos en un hilo donde publican.

Creo que traducen algunos.

Los menús españoles que vienen de Kmeleon.kml y la dll todavía trabajan en su mayoría.

Copie viejo locale es-ES de desga2 desde 1.5.4. / Locales / es-ES en el mismo lugar en el 74.

Después de ir a la F2 Inglés -> Ajustes de aspecto de la GUI y la cambia a es-ES.

El cromo/Chrome aún no ha sido traducida yo sepa.

Saludos desde Alemania

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: June 04, 2014 06:08PM

I actually stopped, and as c-shanchez didn't requested any help, stopped I am.

Here we are both if any help is needed.

Posted by: Bill
Date: June 10, 2014 04:37PM

Just tried k-meleon for first time. It does use about half the resouces as firefox. But kept freezing on many sites. Also when entering text into search engines the text box would keep jumping up and down.
I could not get the text to show up in my online comcast email. Subject was there but message would not show.
Guess I will try it again after some more development has been done.

Posted by: thomase13
Date: June 10, 2014 07:03PM

Hi Bill,

Welcome to the forum! smiling smiley
I'm glad you've found K-Meleon.

Do try out the latest release, K-Meleon 74 Beta 4, and you can let us know if the glitches still exist then on that thread.

Best Regards

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2014 07:03PM by thomase13.

Posted by: martin9
Date: June 26, 2014 04:04PM

The beta 3 is running good, but I have some problems with youtube. As long as a video is not running, the youtube site is working normal. When I start a video, K-Meleon isn't reacting so good, it is heavy working. I can't change the quality of the video, due K-Meleon is not reacting to that. When I switch to full monitor video, it is reactiing and working normal.
The youtube site runs on firefox absolut normaly, without any problems.

I watched with K-Meleon some videos on www.gamestar.de, no problem there. Has anyone an idea what causes the problems with youtube und if I could solve them?

Posted by: rodocop
Date: June 26, 2014 04:39PM

Martin,
try open http://www.youtube.com/html5 and switch the player from flash (set by default) to html5.

You have to get setting like this

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2014 04:41PM by rodocop.

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: June 26, 2014 05:55PM

martin9, remember to apply all updates to beta 3 if you don't want to update to beta 4.

One of the fixes was to make more responsive with flash sites, for example.

Remembering downloadlinks:

Beta 3: http://kmeleon.sf.net/files/K-Meleon74.0Beta3.exe (at the beginning of the thread)

Update one: http://kmeleon.sf.net/files/K-Meleon74.0Beta3up1.7z

Update two: http://kmeleon.sf.net/files/K-Meleon74.0Beta3up2.7z

Posted by: martin9
Date: June 26, 2014 07:46PM

@rodocop
Thank you, that did it.smiling smiley

@JohnHell
Thank you, too. I will switch over the next days to beta4. I had not so much time in the last months and tested first beta3.

Date: July 10, 2014 12:24PM

Just tried the latest beta release on a windows xp sp3 laptop. I had the 1.6.0 version but it started acting up by never closing properly. I uninstalled it then installed the latest. Now I can not use bookmarks or anything as the toolbars do not load and it can't find skin.

I really liked the speed of k-meleon and hope someone can help me here.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: July 10, 2014 01:42PM

@ Bill

If you press F2, you get the preferences. In GUI appearance go to toolbars. On that panel, you will find a box named "Hide menu bar". Make sure to remove the check mark.

Date: July 10, 2014 02:07PM

Thanks...worked like a charm

Date: July 11, 2014 07:29PM

Another solution coded/added recently by Dorian, IMHO.

Right click on the toolbar. A choice menue of two choices appears.

Move to the right with the mouse. A choice arrow appears.
Choose this/Toolbars / top choice here on my k-m.

Now a choice between the many individual toolbars unfolds.

Choose Menue.

The menue bar will appear instantaniously on the top left row.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2014 07:32PM by guenter.

Pages: Previous12345678910
Current Page: 10 of 10

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.