Re: K-Meleon 74 Release Candidate
Posted by: guenter
Date: August 15, 2014 09:06PM

siria
Don't know about a guide page, but doubt if it's necessary. My impression was always that 1.6/1.7 run nicely out-of-the-box on win2000+earlier XP systems? Then reading the forum after the first 74-betas it sounded like there had been a severe jump in sys requirements between 1.6 and 74? But no idea, perhaps that was only in the first 74 versions?

IMHO. The high requirements that are owed to more secure code and thus need XP SP1 or later that was not just for the first 74 beta versions. They are for always. The requirements result from features that come with the VC 10 compiler, code & build tools. Unless we would have a semi official version with an old compiler - there would be no change for lower requirements.

IMHO. No current browser engine by default supports Win2000 or Win98 with Kernel Ex. So I agree You. A guide page would be only needed if K-Meleon supports these systems. Else a short notice with "not supported" and the link to the old info (that Dorian suggests) will do.

p.s. Under Windows the GRE is compiled with VC 10 aka Visual C++ 2010. As per Mozilla build prerequisites.

K-Meleon's build has to match that more or less.

My question to You siria: do any VC 10 applications run under Win98 & Kernel Ex?

The last two versions of Kernel Ex per default set xull.dll to run in Win2000 mode. I looked that info up in code downloads.

My question to You siria: Is there a way to change that and did You try it?

Until recently some people compiled Firefox ESR 24 code with VC 8.
K-Meleon 1.6 & 1.7 and their respective GREs were compiled with VC 8.
The VC 8 runtimes have lower system requirements - e.g. no calls for XP SP1 spcecific code. Example No Import GetModuleHandleExW. See here in German.

My question to You siria: Did You test whether any of these FF still work on Your system?

Thx in advance for Your answers.

(Ich fragte bereits mehrfach!)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2014 09:31PM by guenter.

Posted by: chinarobin
Date: August 15, 2014 11:52PM

Dorian
chinarobin
bug found and recured: minimal font size doesnot work on Chinese pages including

numbers, but it works well on this forum and bbc.

In kmprefs font settings, you must select chinese first (default is western)

siria
That also means, people with older systems are led to think the extremely outdated 1.5.4 were the last possible version for their system,

This is the only version working out of the box on older windows.
If there is a guide for km 1.6, we could link to it.

ok now, what a xxx i am!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2014 11:54PM by chinarobin.

Posted by: siria
Date: August 16, 2014 12:40AM

@guenter:
Last time I looked up new versions of win98-kernelex the development was long since dead (just like KM seemed a long time). So my current version was still the latest. No, I never tested if "any other VC10" tools run with it. Chances are some will and others not, as usual. I did test KM74, just yesterday 74RC, and this one does definetely NOT start on 98se anymore, with or without kernelex. And sorry, so far I didn't find enough time yet for researching and testing one of those modified Firefox versions, but as long as there's hardly any hope that KM will ever be compiled that way, testing FF wouldn't help it anyway. Sadly my trusty old system is also slowly getting more and more little hickups, and after many years of heavy use I'm afraid it's days are counted too, although I keep hoping :-( It feels funny that meanwhile XP seems in the same position as win98 was so long, but of the latter there are now only a few "hundred-year-old" machines left, which are dying one by one too, so why...

Date: August 16, 2014 07:31AM

siria
@guenter:
Last time I looked up new versions of win98-kernelex the development was long since dead (just like KM seemed a long time). So my current version was still the latest. No, I never tested if "any other VC10" tools run with it. Chances are some will and others not, as usual. I did test KM74, just yesterday 74RC, and this one does definetely NOT start on 98se anymore, with or without kernelex. And sorry, so far I didn't find enough time yet for researching and testing one of those modified Firefox versions, but as long as there's hardly any hope that KM will ever be compiled that way, testing FF wouldn't help it anyway. Sadly my trusty old system is also slowly getting more and more little hickups, and after many years of heavy use I'm afraid it's days are counted too, although I keep hoping :-( It feels funny that meanwhile XP seems in the same position as win98 was so long, but of the latter there are now only a few "hundred-year-old" machines left, which are dying one by one too, so why...

The last versions are in a Git repository. They are likely the ones You have.

You did not try to set xull.dll to XP then?

p.s. Schade, dass du nicht einmal Zeit hattest einen davon runter zu laden und es zu versuchen. Du musst wirklich sehr beschäftigt sein.

Ich werde nun auch keinen Gedanken mehr geschweige denn Zeit an 98.kernel ex verschwenden.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2014 08:25AM by guenter.

Posted by: oleg01
Date: August 16, 2014 11:22AM

Hello,

First of all I'd like to thank very much to Dorian and all developers who made possible this wonderful release, such a superb work gives k-meleon new life.

I use k-meleon every day and I noticed that javascript commands do not work (at least in my browser), is that so by default or maybe I have some kind of faulty config?

I came to this problem when I wanted to use the bookmarklet featured on this page: https://alanhogan.com/code/text-selection-bookmarklet

I tried to run the javascript through the URL bar without any success. I tried doing it in Firefox and it worked fine, the code is as follows:

javascriptsad smileyfunction(){function%20ats(){%20%20%20var%20styles='*,p,div{user-select:text%20!important;-moz-user-select:text%20!important;-webkit-user-select:text%20!important;}';%20%20%20jQuery('head').append(jQuery('<style%20/>').html(styles));%20%20%20%20%20%20var%20allowNormal%20=%20function(){%20%20%20%20%20return%20true;%20%20%20};%20%20%20jQuery('*[onselectstart],%20*[ondragstart],%20*[oncontextmenu],%20#songLyricsDiv').unbind('contextmenu').unbind('selectstart').unbind('dragstart').unbind('mousedown').unbind('mouseup').unbind('click').attr('onselectstart',allowNormal).attr('oncontextmenu',allowNormal).attr('ondragstart',allowNormal);%20}%20function%20atswp()%20{%20%20%20if(window.jQuery){%20%20%20%20%20ats();%20%20%20}%20else%20{%20%20%20%20%20window.setTimeout(atswp,%20100);%20%20%20}%20}%20if(window.jQuery)%20{%20%20%20ats();%20}else{%20%20%20var%20s=document.createElement('script');%20%20%20s.setAttribute('src','http://code.jquery.com/jquery-1.9.1.min.js');%20%20%20document.getElementsByTagName('body'winking smiley[0].appendChild(s);%20%20%20atswp();%20}%20})();

Is k-meleon able to run javascript bookmarklets?

Thanks a lot for such a wonderful browser!

Date: August 16, 2014 04:47PM

Sure, in general it can.
But unless you have accidentally JS blocked, it could be that there's still that 256-character-limit for bookmarklets, that was valid in the old versions. No idea if it's still valid for KM74 though, can't test it on my old machine. If so, you'll have to work around it with macros.
But perhaps you really have only JS blocked?? Do you know the privacy bar? It's my favorite toolbars of all, and unfortunately the only one that was always hidden by default. Just take a look: Menu View>Toolbars>Privacy Bar. Then you can always see if JS and other stuff is blocked or not.
Or just hit F7 (toggles JS on/off) and look if it helps.

Date: August 16, 2014 07:59PM

Thanks Siria, you are absolutely right, the javascript code that I was trying to execute is 259 characters long, if there's a restriction of 256 chars that's why it doesn't work. I tried shorter bookmarklets and they worked.

I must investigate this issue, searching the forums I found the javascriptia/StyleScriptia workaround, I'll check if that works on KM 74.

Thanks a lot for your help smiling smiley

Date: August 16, 2014 08:17PM

Hi again,

OK, I tried StyleScriptia_v5 from

StyleScriptia

on KM74 and it worked perfectly!! smiling smiley

Thanks!

Date: August 16, 2014 08:52PM

Whow, that was fast - and you even like it, thank you :-)

I'll have to finish it some day, if I remember right just a little bit menu polishing needed yet, but for now just a tip:
Open the file stylescriptia_v5.kmm with an editor (notepad, notepad++, whatever), search for "browserstart" and set this line to false:
$_StSc_functionwrap="false";

It was a test for debugging, the "true" setting helped with a script that didn't work otherwise in KM1.7, but looks like in other scripts that setting rather does the opposite. So the default better be on "false". It's reset to the value in the kmm-file at every browser start. During a session it can be toggled manually in the stylescriptia debug submenu for testing if needed.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2014 09:00PM by siria.

Date: August 16, 2014 10:02PM

Hi,

Alright, I changed the setting that you mentioned (although I haven't noticed any change of behavior smiling smiley ). As I can see StyleScriptia has quite a lot of possibilities (the idea is somehow the same as Greasemonkey, right?).

Actually, I created a folder named "bookmarklets" and I put some text files there that can be opened via the "Bookmarklet from file" option in StyleScriptia's menu.

So here they are if anyone is interested:

Enable context menu.txt (allow right click menu in stubborn pages):

javascriptsad smileyfunction() { function R(a){ona = %22on%22+a; if(window.addEventListener) window.addEventListener(a, function (e) { for(var n=e.originalTarget; n; n=n.parentNode) n[ona]=null; }, true); window[ona]=null; document[ona]=null; if(document.body) document.body[ona]=null; } R(%22contextmenu%22); R(%22click%22); R(%22mousedown%22); R(%22mouseup%22); })()

Enable Selection.txt (allows selecting text in stubborn pages):

javascriptsad smileyfunction(){function%20ats(){%20%20%20var%20styles='*,p,div{user-select:text%20!important;-moz-user-select:text%20!important;-webkit-user-select:text%20!important;}';%20%20%20jQuery('head').append(jQuery('<style%20/>').html(styles));%20%20%20%20%20%20var%20allowNormal%20=%20function(){%20%20%20%20%20return%20true;%20%20%20};%20%20%20jQuery('*[onselectstart],%20*[ondragstart],%20*[oncontextmenu],%20#songLyricsDiv').unbind('contextmenu').unbind('selectstart').unbind('dragstart').unbind('mousedown').unbind('mouseup').unbind('click').attr('onselectstart',allowNormal).attr('oncontextmenu',allowNormal).attr('ondragstart',allowNormal);%20}%20function%20atswp()%20{%20%20%20if(window.jQuery){%20%20%20%20%20ats();%20%20%20}%20else%20{%20%20%20%20%20window.setTimeout(atswp,%20100);%20%20%20}%20}%20if(window.jQuery)%20{%20%20%20ats();%20}else{%20%20%20var%20s=document.createElement('script');%20%20%20s.setAttribute('src','http://code.jquery.com/jquery-1.9.1.min.js');%20%20%20document.getElementsByTagName('body'winking smiley[0].appendChild(s);%20%20%20atswp();%20}%20})();

There's another issue that I'm trying to get a workaround with, when I search for 1 word typing it on the URL bar k-meleon tries to open a webpage with that word instead of searching for it (i.e. if I type "abc" k-meleon opens "http://abc/"; instead of making the search. I usually type "abc ." to trigger the search... have you experienced the same problem? smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2014 10:12PM by oleg01.

Date: August 16, 2014 10:28PM

Well known and easy to solve, but since this is getting too much off-topic here, being general how-to stuff instead of special 74RC related, perhaps it should better be discussed in a separate thread smiling smiley

Date: August 16, 2014 10:29PM

Well, about the search 1 word issue, I already found the cause... It was because I'm using k-meleon with Privoxy to block ads and the forwarding is not being done correctly. Issue solved smiling smiley.

Date: August 16, 2014 11:02PM

Oh... not exactly what I had in mind, but if it works, cool smiling smiley
Actually I do not use privoxy or anything, and still only get "page load errors" when using a single word for searching. Anyway, still going to post this too:

@dorian:
Just about every new user riddles about this, since the wording in the pref tab sounds a bit misleading. It's probably too late for this version with all the languages, but perhaps some day it could be made clearer (just guessing it's still the same as in 1.6?)

In F2>Finding websites it says:
"When a typed URL failed to load, automatically consult a search engine to find fitting pages"

But actually it doesn't do anything for "page load errors", as one would expect.
It does work if a line starts with a blank, but takes longer than with a nick.
Suggestion for rewording:
"When a typed URL contains a blank or ", automatically consult ... (Tip: you can also start with the nick of a search engine bookmark)"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2014 12:36AM by siria.

Posted by: Dorian
Date: August 17, 2014 07:29PM

Update to RC

Fixed: interface strings truncated with garbage
Fixed: Possible crash with session at startup
Fixed: 260 characters limit in urlbar
Fixed: Some plugins still not built with unicode
Fixed: maximize with no title bar
Fixed: Ctrl+A ?
Added: kmeleon.tabs.multiline (experimental)

Kmeleon id is now {944df56f-c0ec-4d7b-94b6-f625c8cc96ea}

rodocop
So just add to the first update (and for new releases) correct chrome.manifest from rootfolder. It must contain 2 lines not only first one:
binary-component k-meleon.exe
manifest extensions/extensions.manifest

Since the addon manager is working, is that needed?
Because it would be better for kmeleon to scan the folder for manifest files (and in the profile, not in the program folder?).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2014 07:33PM by Dorian.

Posted by: Zero3K
Date: August 17, 2014 09:22PM

Another bug I found is that the "restart now" button/link in the Addons Manager doesn't work as expected. Nothing happens instead of it causing K-Meleon to restart as it should. Also. I'm geting an entry in the Error Console which states that it is unable to read the chrome.manifest in the browser subdirectory of where K-Meleon is installed after running it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2014 09:27PM by Zero3K.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: August 17, 2014 11:17PM

I have not used the addons mgt. system but restart button does work for me in RC and RC update 1.

Edit:
I always put a zero byte chrome.manifest file at root\browser to get rid of that error. The not read error has been there for a long time.

I would just use the zero byte file as the fix. Who knows when someone might need to put something useful in the manifest file.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2014 11:25PM by JamesD.

Date: August 17, 2014 11:33PM

Dorian,

What do I do to try the kmeleon.tabs.multiline (experimental) feature?

Posted by: chinarobin
Date: August 18, 2014 12:12AM

@ Dorian

about Fixed: maximize with no title bar

i add pref("kmeleon.display.hideTitleBar", true) to kmeleon under

preferences according to http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,128654.

almost perfect now, but a wide frame surround the browser, could it be thinner, thanks~

about: defaut font

i have set Chinese simplized as defaut, but it will back to western

and please add search - http://www.baidu.com/s?wd= in next builds, it's most famous for Chinese for now, as Google donot support for Chinese mainland.

Thanks!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2014 01:03AM by chinarobin.

Date: August 18, 2014 02:25AM

chinarobin
but a wide frame surround the browser, could it be thinner, thanks~

For me there seems to be a border around only the first window. When I open other windows, they have no border.

I did not find anything odd in the task bar.

I am running KM 74 RC update one on Win 7 (32 bit).

Posted by: adXok
Date: August 18, 2014 09:22AM

Hi, Dorian

K-meleon 74 u4 is set as my default browser. I installed the new 74 RC + u1.

– When a friend posts me a link in Skype (in its message window) or whatever outside link and I click on it directly, K-meleon 74 u4 opens a New Tab (good) but... the link is opened in the current tab instead (bad) of in the newly created (empty) tab.

That is the bug. My Prefs are always: open any links, text in New tabs in Background - every time I first install K-meleon I make those prefs.
.gif file is attached for visualization
ext-link.gif

– Also... some pictures cannot be saved with Right Mouse Button -> Save Image As...
Yet some can and its odd. A workaround is to Refresh the Image-link-page with F5 = refresh page! Then it can be saved as image (otherwise it wants to save it as a 'url.htm')

– Also... in the Help menu: the links to K-meleon wiki, Forum and so on... do not open in new tabs when clicked! They open in the current tab. I prefer them to open in new tabs like any other Bookmarked page (it set so as my personal pref in K-meleon). This is an issue since many K-meleon versions back as I recall.
.gif file is attached for visualization
help-links.gif

Posted by: Dorian
Date: August 18, 2014 11:00AM

JamesD
Dorian,

What do I do to try the kmeleon.tabs.multiline (experimental) feature?

Sorry forgot to say, it's a boolean, just set it to true.

chinarobin
almost perfect now, but a wide frame surround the browser, could it be thinner, thanks~

Border size is a windows setting.

chinarobin
i have set Chinese simplized as defaut, but it will back to western

Yeah but the settings stay.

adXok
– When a friend posts me a link in Skype (in its message window) or whatever outside link and I click on it directly, K-meleon 74 u4 opens a New Tab (good) but... the link is opened in the current tab instead (bad) of in the newly created (empty) tab.

Found the problem. Will be fixed.

adXok
– Also... some pictures cannot be saved with Right Mouse Button -> Save Image As...
Yet some can and its odd. A workaround is to Refresh the Image-link-page with F5 = refresh page! Then it can be saved as image (otherwise it wants to save it as a 'url.htm')

Any examples? Or this is random?
The image detection code is old and may need a refresh

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2014 11:10AM by Dorian.

Posted by: George Hall
Date: August 18, 2014 03:29PM

Dorian
Update to RC

Fixed: interface strings truncated with garbage
Fixed: Possible crash with session at startup
Fixed: 260 characters limit in urlbar
Fixed: Some plugins still not built with unicode
Fixed: maximize with no title bar
Fixed: Ctrl+A ?
Added: kmeleon.tabs.multiline (experimental)

Kmeleon id is now {944df56f-c0ec-4d7b-94b6-f625c8cc96ea}

rodocop
So just add to the first update (and for new releases) correct chrome.manifest from rootfolder. It must contain 2 lines not only first one:
binary-component k-meleon.exe
manifest extensions/extensions.manifest

Since the addon manager is working, is that needed?
Because it would be better for kmeleon to scan the folder for manifest files (and in the profile, not in the program folder?).

Dorian This update is great.

Now usng the macro below and the Add-On Save Passwords Editor does not mess up password autocomplete when you edit paasswords.

SavedPassword.kmm

# K-Meleon Macros (http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?id=MacroLanguage)

# ---------- pending macro for ported extension--------------------------------------

SavedPasswords{
$OpenURL="chrome://passwordmgr/content/passwordManager.xul";
$ExecMacros="OpenURL_InNewWindow"; &ExecMacros_Frames;
}

SavedPasswords_BuildMenu{
setmenu("&Privacy",macro,"Saved Passwords",SavedPasswords,-1);
}

$OnInit=$OnInit."SavedPasswords_BuildMenu;";
# ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
$macroModules=$macroModules."SavedPasswords;";

"Some plugins still not built with unicode" must have causes problems the K-Meleon lgoin manager with usernae and password auutocomolete when I edited passwords with "Saved Passwords Editor"

K-Meleon 74 Release Candidate pref-appearance.xul
Date: August 18, 2014 06:31PM

pref-appearance.xul line 9 f.

Not:

<stringbundle id="lang_bundle" src="chrome://kmprefs/locale/languageNames.properties"/>
	<stringbundle id="regn_bundle" src="chrome://kmprefs/locale/regionNames.properties"/>

But:

<stringbundle id="lang_bundle" src="chrome://global/locale/languageNames.properties"/>
	<stringbundle id="regn_bundle" src="chrome://global/locale/regionNames.properties"/>

Reason: The 2 properties files are in global. Else each translator has to add the two files to kmprefs. No locale has the files there now. I found the error when I tried to update German locales.

Fixed file attached.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2014 07:24AM by guenter.

Attachments: pref-appearance.xul (17.9 KB)  
K-Meleon 74 Release Candidate & Update German Locale
Date: August 18, 2014 10:03PM

Updated German locale files attached.

p.s. NewsFox code is not in chrome. Either it is added or the macro and the skin item for it can be dropped from the code.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2014 07:20AM by guenter.

Attachments: de.7z (333 KB)  
Re: K-Meleon 74 Release Candidate & Update German Locale
Date: August 19, 2014 05:33AM

Here's a screenshot of the "Icons in the Open/Save As dialog box being randomly changed to blank ones" issue:

Re: K-Meleon 74 Release Candidate Skins
Date: August 19, 2014 07:18AM

"Tools" which is used in some skins toolbars.cfg does not exist in a kml.

Already defined in kmeleon.kml is the entity:

&Tools=E&xtras

Affected skins: AuraAlpha(CNoT), AuraAlpha(Compact).

Either translators add "Tools" or skin code is changed so that the already defined entity is recycled.

The same is true for "View History.".

Affected skins: AuraAlpha(CNoT), AuraAlpha(Compact).

The text "View History. Right-click for more options." exists in kmeleon.kml.

Klassic skin has a tools/compact menue item (menu.bmp[17])that is deactivated.
This item should be re-activated and use the same code as the default skin.

Three changed skins toolbars.cfg attached in archive.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2014 07:23AM by guenter.

Attachments: skins.7z (3.3 KB)  
Re: K-Meleon 74 Release Candidate Skins
Date: August 19, 2014 10:45AM

Hi, Dorian
Yeah, the image Save as... gives the incorrect format 'url.htm' somewhat random. Not every time and just for some images.

When an image link is opened and hit the Refresh button, then Save as... it is working as expected though. Maybe it has to do something with my refresh page time settings.

To the last "problem":
could the Help menu links to K-meleon wiki nad Forum be treated as Bookmarks so they can open in a new tab (as prefs set up) instead in the current tab?

Everything else works pritty well with RC u1.
Oh, and now I see the Find bar close button works and closes the bar. Thanks!

Wow, I'm happy to see K-meleon is developing great so far!
Time for a K-m facebook fan page grinning smiley

Crash report:
Assume I have forgotten to change may keyboard layout to Latin and so I write the web address in Cyrillic → K-meleon crashes silently!!!
In fact it crashes if any Cyrillic letters are included the web-adrress!
When next opened, K-meleon gives me the option to resume my previous session (the so crashed one). Of course I hit "Yes" → K-meleon crashes again! Unsaved session is lost.

Seems like K-meleon 74 RC doesn't like Cyrillic domains (which are available by the way).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2014 11:54AM by adXok.

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: August 19, 2014 03:33PM

Zero3K
Here's a screenshot of the "Icons in the Open/Save As dialog box being randomly changed to blank ones" issue:

That happens to me in Windows 2000 because I need a wrapper for Shell32.dll, but in Firefox, not in K-meleon 74.

Happening to you in Windows 7 with K-meleon 74 is rather strange.

It could explain the neogaf icon issue too, because if I'm not wrong, it is handle with shell32.dll too.

Definetelly you could be having an issue with the system. But I can't bet in what is the cause and where it comes :-?

Date: August 19, 2014 03:45PM

JohnHell
Zero3K

That happens to me in Windows 2000 because I need a wrapper for Shell32.dll, but in Firefox, not in K-meleon 74.

Happening to you in Windows 7 with K-meleon 74 is rather strange.

It could explain the neogaf icon issue too, because if I'm not wrong, it is handle with shell32.dll too.

Definetelly you could be having an issue with the system. But I can't bet in what is the cause and where it comes :-?

It only happens with K-Meleon. I think that its a resource leak that is causing this issue.

EDIT: Another issue I found is that Google Docs is now stating the following message:

"You are using a version of Firefox which is unsupported. Some features may not work correctly. Please update your browser or try Google Chrome."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2014 08:48PM by Zero3K.

Date: August 19, 2014 09:28PM

Well...

Posting comments in Yotube seems not working. Opens some kind of a pop-up window which disappears after a second... and that's it.

Also the provided Youtube download extension for K-meleon 74 is not working (.manifest file is tweaked as required).

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.