Announcements :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-meleon announcements. 
Pages: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7
Re: K-Meleon 74 RC 2
Posted by: siria
Date: September 22, 2014 11:30PM

So it was removed to help statistics?? Well, that's a least a reason finally for this mystery. I understand that, but still, this function is just too important to simply drop it for this, that would backfire. People will install user macros instead and what I fear is the menu chaos this creates together with the separate FF-compat-menu. We wouldn't anymore have a single menu that can be attached to the handy UA button in the privbar or the dropdown menu, and every macro would claim "reset to KM default" and that wouldn't be true, as long as the other isn't reset as well.
The only thing that really would make a clean solution is to integrate the two macros - a list switcher and a FF appender - into one single kmm with a common menu.

To help statistics, wouldn't this autoswitcher as you describe its function, help much more than the permanent FF-compat mode already included in RC2final?
Personally I wouldn't mind much if only the "reset to default at exit" choice would be removed and made permanent.
And hey, couldn't we create a KM-compat-mode?! grinning smiley
And provide a predefined list of some UAs, all with KM included like FF is in compat-mode?

-----

PS KM74:
Suggestion, perhaps the little "Help" popup for the bookmarks could be completed with informing about how to search in it? By just typing, and then hitting F3 to jump to next hit? And a short info what Nicks are for. Both important functions completely non-intuitive. Ah yes, and to right-click to get yet more options smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2014 12:07AM by siria.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: naruman
Date: September 23, 2014 12:04AM

guenter

2.) A kmm that adds strings that show users info needs a kml. Unless the strings are the same in all languages. Which is rare. I found no en-US prototype kml with strings to translate in Your package above.

I updated the files with simple kml for ( de & fr ) , but it's Translate of google , so if you found the de kml so bad , rewrite it & i will update the files with the new one .

guenter

4.) disrupted send a mail from Egypt with password for K-Meleon's extension page. We can use that page now to post for download solutions that are currently not in the official 74 version and other 74 extensions.

If we have extensions there nobody can demand that K-Meleon must support any xpi addon/extension on the Firefox pages. grinning smiley

That's great news now we can re-create our xpi extensions .

And i don't think the add-ons developers would mind to adding more browsers to their add-ons.

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: September 23, 2014 12:22AM

I was to post a long post but after test I found another strange thing about Google Translate (and I don't know why I'm wasting time because I don't use it).

I was going to post the httpfox/httpmonitor server requests and I found that wasn't working in Firefox 31 either this time.

Then I tried to replicate the environment when worked the other day, when I thought it was flash...

And it is flash, and it isn't.

If I set in Firefox 31 the plugin.state.flash preference to 0 (Flash plugin disabled), then, I can hear the audio. Then, I guess, uses the internal player.

If I do this in K-meleon 74, doesn't work, so, it is not taking the internal player (if it is available in 24.7 ESR).

In the end, it is not exactly a problem related to Flash.

Before this, I was trying the Chrome user agent and it didn't work either. Even I don't have an icon to play a sound... I don't know why it works on you.

The error in Firefox and K-meleon, when doesn't work, is this in the server requests (these are urls requested to the server):

https://translate.google.com/gen204?tbphrase=length=5
https://translate.google.com/gen204?ttsstart=textlen=5,tl=en,total=1
https://translate.google.com/gen204?ttserror=textlen=5,tl=en,total=1,idx=0,time=19

When working, in Firefox and the above pref set to 0 they look like:

https://translate.google.com/gen204?tbphrase=length=5
https://translate.google.com/gen204?ttsstart=textlen=5,tl=en,total=1
https://translate.google.com/gen204?ttsplaystart=textlen=5,tl=en,total=1,idx=0,time=13
https://translate.google.com/gen204?ttsfinish=textlen=5,tl=en,total=1,idx=0,time=1264

Posted by: guenter
Date: September 23, 2014 06:00AM

naruman
guenter

2.) A kmm that adds strings that show users info needs a kml. Unless the strings are the same in all languages. Which is rare. I found no en-US prototype kml with strings to translate in Your package above.

I updated the files with simple kml for ( de & fr ) , but it's Translate of google , so if you found the de kml so bad , rewrite it & i will update the files with the new one .

guenter

4.) disrupted send a mail from Egypt with password for K-Meleon's extension page. We can use that page now to post for download solutions that are currently not in the official 74 version and other 74 extensions.

If we have extensions there nobody can demand that K-Meleon must support any xpi addon/extension on the Firefox pages. grinning smiley

That's great news now we can re-create our xpi extensions .

And i don't think the add-ons developers would mind to adding more browsers to their add-ons.

1.) Did not know You were German and French native speaker. smiling smiley

You did rather well. I translated it also and asked siria (German native speaker)
for comment here: http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?12,129401,129566#msg-129566

It is wasting time if You do it for a language that has native speaker K-Meleon users. Browser strings need to be more correct than Google can do at the moment.
Even then - I normally ask a second German speaker.

One question: "Seach for UAgent=" I that a special uAgent data bank?

2.) Yes. They can be added there. :drool:

3.) Some addon devs would add K-Meleon. But some will slander K-Meleon as Firefox clone that they do not want to support.

4.) Can You think of a way to decativate a addon for a short time on a single page. Where the addon does not work properly or is not wanted.

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?2,129410,129565#msg-129565

I look for a K-Meleon way to toogle an addon like BluHell since K-meleon will not integrate/use the Firefox button that toggles it in the Firefox GUI.

My idea is a kmm based toggle button - like You did for flash.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2014 12:28PM by guenter.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: September 23, 2014 05:49PM

Is it possible to create something like 'extension toolbar' for KM - permanent toolbar that can be handled as firefox 'toolbar'-object by xpi-extensions?

Posted by: naruman
Date: September 23, 2014 07:48PM

guenter
You did rather well. I translated it also and asked siria (German native speaker)
for comment here: http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?12,129401,129566#msg-129566

Thank you guenter , i will add it.

guenter

Yes ,"Seach for UAgent" opening [useragentstring.com] ,which has a list of all useragent string .

guenter
4.) Can You think of a way to decativate a addon for a short time on a single page. Where the addon does not work properly or is not wanted.

Maybe it it could be done, i will try some ideas i have.

guenter
I look for a K-Meleon way to toogle an addon like BluHell since K-meleon will not integrate/use the Firefox button that toggles it in the Firefox GUI.

Controlling addon can be done using the 'startup' function that Dorian add in the test file.
However , adding toolbar toggle button , i not sure it will work ,as there's no way to get toolbar event (plugin) , but we can get the menus.
Maybe we can add "right click" menu for toolbar button somehow.

Re: Preferences
Posted by: JamesD
Date: September 23, 2014 08:28PM

guenter
And I do not remember/know how You could get a path to /skins/...

This will provide a path to the current skin.

$_General_Skin = getpref( STRING , "kmeleon.general.skinsCurrent");
$_GenSkin_Path = getfolder(RootFolder) . "\\skins\\" . $_General_Skin ;
$_ProSkin_Path = getfolder(ProfileFolder) . "\\skins\\" . $_General_Skin ;
$__Data = readfile($_ProSkin_Path."\\toolbars.cfg" ;
$__Data == ""? $_CurrSkin_Path = $_GenSkin_Path : $_CurrSkin_Path = $_ProSkin_Path ;
alert($_CurrSkin_Path, "Path to skins is", INFO);

Just in case you have a need. It also determines if the skin is in the profile.

Date: September 23, 2014 09:25PM

Great James!
That reminds me that I posted nonsense with the resource path a few days ago, because that was in the old KM version. Discovered only now that in KM74 "resource:///" opens "K-Meleon/browser" instead. And weird to me, this path seems to work on the same level as the files and folders inside the parallel omni.ja. Oh well, much to learn.

Hm, wondering now: what does getfolder(SkinFolder), would it also find skins in profiles? Or perhaps only find the parent folder?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2014 09:33PM by siria.

Date: September 23, 2014 09:53PM

naruman
However , adding toolbar toggle button , i not sure it will work ,as there's no way to get toolbar event (plugin) , but we can get the menus.

Have not the slightest clue about addons, but plugin commands can be put on buttons (e.g. bookmark/favorites button). As well as ID-commands or macros. And if a menu works on right-click on a button, then it can just as well be added on left-click. Except if it contains checkmarks, then the user better add it manually in his toolbars.cfg, not automatic by macro, or the checkmarks don't get refreshed after toggling. Correct checkmarks on left-clicking a button are only possible at all since KM74, because it doesn't need the rebarmenu-plugin anymore. Except in macro-created buttons, unless someone knows a way?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2014 09:57PM by siria.

Date: September 24, 2014 07:41AM

Tested profile skins in KM74. It works perfectly fine to mirror the skin folder structure in the profile folder, with the same folder names. Even when only the toolbars.cfg is copied into one of those folders, it works perfectly! The cfg gets loaded from profile, the Edit>Config>Toolbars command does open it from the profile, and the images are still working from the root-skins smiling smiley Also getfolder(SkinFolder) does open the cfg from the profiles folder.

An easy but helpful improvement wish:
Skin+button settings are shattered all over the place. Please make when right-clicking an empty space in the toolbar, all button functions show in the context menu, not just View>Toolbars and Status Bar. Also the button config (Edit>Config>Toolbars), the fullscreen submenu, a link to F2>GUI (and guess have seen some new setting without title bar somewhere, but not sure?)
And wish somehow users could be made aware how easily they can change themselves the horrible toolbar background. It's such a great function in KM! Just how? A note in the pref options sheets? Or a function to open back.bmp? Different backgrounds for every default skin?

Date: September 24, 2014 09:05AM

naruman
guenter

Thank you guenter , i will add it.

guenter

Yes ,"Seach for UAgent" opening [useragentstring.com] ,which has a list of all useragent string .

guenter

Maybe it it could be done, i will try some ideas i have.

guenter

Controlling addon can be done using the 'startup' function that Dorian add in the test file.

Thank You for adding German locale and Info what UAgent is.

I will look also into where You said - but fear I do not know enough.

siria
Tested profile skins in KM74. It works perfectly fine to mirror the skin folder structure in the profile folder, with the same folder names. Even when only the toolbars.cfg is copied into one of those folders, it works perfectly! The cfg gets loaded from profile, the Edit>Config>Toolbars command does open it from the profile, and the images are still working from the root-skins smiling smiley Also getfolder(SkinFolder) does open the cfg from the profiles folder

Thanks for info that this works.

Did not know that implementation of this was finshid.

Thank You Dorian!

An automated backup needs only changed skins - so users should put them there.

Also Your info about:

resouce:/// was correct once I am certain.

I will try resource:///./skins...

Maybe GRE accepts html relative paths. This AFAIR means go one up then to skins.

JamesD
guenter
And I do not remember/know how You could get a path to /skins/...

This will provide a path to the current skin.

$_General_Skin = getpref( STRING , "kmeleon.general.skinsCurrent");
$_GenSkin_Path = getfolder(RootFolder) . "\\skins\\" . $_General_Skin ;
$_ProSkin_Path = getfolder(ProfileFolder) . "\\skins\\" . $_General_Skin ;
$__Data = readfile($_ProSkin_Path."\\toolbars.cfg" ;
$__Data == ""? $_CurrSkin_Path = $_GenSkin_Path : $_CurrSkin_Path = $_ProSkin_Path ;
alert($_CurrSkin_Path, "Path to skins is", INFO);

Thank You for the info - I finally leaned something masterclass about kmm possibilities. smiling smiley

But I need it for a Firefox addon. Hope I will have time for to finish it soon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2014 09:09AM by guenter.

Posted by: thomase13
Date: September 24, 2014 05:22PM

So,
I have finally installed K-M 74 RC Final!
The tools seemed like too much trouble to figure out, so I just kept my profile the same. I copied over what I needed such as skins and macros, and this is what it looks like out of the box:

I don't understand the point of a file saving your preferences if it is overwritten whenever K-M restarts! I replaced prefs.js with my old version of it, and nothing happens to the toolbars!
Is there another file I'm missing which should do this?

P.S. Where did the attachment option go?!? I so appreciated that new feature of this forum!!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2014 03:17PM by thomase13.

Posted by: Zero3K
Date: September 24, 2014 05:41PM

The "blank icons in the Open/Save As dialog box randomly replacing normal ones" issue is still occurring. Its also resulting in K-Meleon becoming slow, freezing, etc.

Date: September 24, 2014 05:59PM

thomase13
So,
I have finally installed K-M 74 RC Final!
The tools seemed like too much trouble to figure out, so I just kept my profile the same. I copied over what I needed such as skins and macros, and this is what it looks like out of the box:

Very strange indeed!

I don't understand the point of a file saving your preferences if it is overwritten whenever K-M restarts! I replaced prefs.js with my old version of it, and nothing happens to the toolbars!
Is there another file I'm missing which should do this?

P.S. Where did the attachment option go?!? I so appreciated that new feature of this forum!!!

You pic at livefilestore.com is invisible!

Looks like out of the box means:

1.) Eiether that You have no writing privileges in the used profile folder

2.) else that Your profile is not where You think it is.

Check on 1.) Goto menu Help Troubleshooting and execute the macro.
If positive - Windows Explorer: right click on profles folder and change properties.

Check on 2.) Goto menu Configuration Profile Directory and check whether the old data were copied there. Maybe load bookmarks.html and look whether it is used by You. If not call that positive.sad smiley

If positive make sure that You copy content of the old used profile there.

p.s. Attachment is allowed in certain areas of the forum to all users.
AFAIK Graphics is such an area where all need it and have it.

In other parts attachment is allowed to Devs and moderators.

Only a developer (Dorian) can change the rules or to extend Your personal rights.

The attachment permissions have been extended to some parts of the forum some years ago - the later is handled very conservative.

AFAIK only 6 persons can attach to most Phorums.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2014 07:50PM by guenter.

Date: September 24, 2014 06:32PM

If it is the same skin folder and same prefs.js than the layout should stay the same. Also make sure the browser is not open when overwriting prefs.js

Date: September 24, 2014 07:52PM

siria
If it is the same skin folder and same prefs.js than the layout should stay the same. Also make sure the browser is not open when overwriting prefs.js

Oh yes. I completely forgot the later. Thx for helping me. siria. smiling smiley

Date: September 24, 2014 08:23PM

Finally played a bit with skins to figure the prefs system out better. I wouldn't be surprised if it was already ten years ago described in the wiki or manual, but oh well... as long as playing is more fun :cool:

Okay, to save an individual skin layout, first arrange everything as you like.
- click Edit>Configuration> Profile directory to find prefs.js, which stores skin settings
- close the browser
- copy prefs.js into folder of THIS skin, rename it to skin.js
- right-click on skin.js to EDIT, delete in it all lines except kmeleon.toolband, save it
- return to profile folder, right-click on prefs.js to edit, delete all toolband-lines in it, save it

Now if you start the browser, there are no skin settings in your profile anymore, and NOW the browser will read your stored skin.js!
- If you hide or unhide a toolbar now, it will be saved in prefs. js again, nothing else.
- If you MOVE anything though, the complete toolband package is dumped again into prefs.js!
- If you try out other skins now, they will use prefs.js for layout, not their own skin.js
- If you delete the toolband-lines in prefs.js again before starting the browser, it will read again the layout in skin.js
- Every skin folder can store an own skin.js with different layouts.
- You can switch as much as you want between skins, as long as you don't move a button the layout from each skin folder is used

To put it short:
=> User settings in prefs.js have priority over settings in skin folders
=> If prefs.js has no toolband-settings, it will keep reading the different skin settings and NOT import them, except if you MOVE anything

Just my current state of learning, but please correct me if something was wrong smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2014 08:34PM by siria.

Date: September 24, 2014 09:15PM

siria

Just my current state of learning, but please correct me if something was wrong smiling smiley

Merely a tiny bit forgotten. Not wrong. If a skin has the same items / bars as another skin at the same code position & with the same size like 16 or 24 pics (24 most common) the visible items will be at the same position. And when the skin is changed all will be the same. Most known skins reeived updates on one time or another to do this. And they will perform like this.

However the current default skin is different from most old skins.
Other bars at other code positions.

It is modern and functional but it has different bars on different code locations/positions. And this will show after a skin change.

So on skin change You have to re-arange bars.smiling smiley

Unless the new skin prefs help You.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2014 09:43PM by guenter.

Date: September 24, 2014 11:36PM

I've discovered another crash in it. It occurs when browsing http://www.frankerq.com.

Date: September 25, 2014 04:20AM

Zero3K
I've discovered another crash in it. It occurs when browsing http://www.frankerq.com.

XP PRO SP3, patched NPSWF32_15_0_0_170.dll if that info matters.

Frequent crashs no pattern. It happens when I open items in their alphabetical list.

crashrpt.dll from 28. Juli 2014, 21:56:26 does for some unknown reason not fire up with 74 final on this system. sad smiley

So I made a crash with 74b4 and have it send the report (to Dorian/1600odd).

For a crash with final I saved appcompat.txt, k-meleon.exe.hdmp, k-meleon.exe.mdmp and manifest.txt from being deleted from temp. 45 MB. sad smiley I can pack to 5 MB and send if needed.

dom.ipc.plugins.enabled / false - but I still think it is the flash on that site.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2014 04:39AM by guenter.

Date: September 25, 2014 05:35AM

guenter
Zero3K

XP PRO SP3, patched NPSWF32_15_0_0_170.dll if that info matters.

Frequent crashs no pattern. It happens when I open items in their alphabetical list.

crashrpt.dll from 28. Juli 2014, 21:56:26 does for some unknown reason not fire up with 74 final on this system. sad smiley

So I made a crash with 74b4 and have it send the report (to Dorian/1600odd).

For a crash with final I saved appcompat.txt, k-meleon.exe.hdmp, k-meleon.exe.mdmp and manifest.txt from being deleted from temp. 45 MB. sad smiley I can pack to 5 MB and send if needed.

dom.ipc.plugins.enabled / false - but I still think it is the flash on that site.

I don't think it uses Flash. I think it uses WEBM.

Posted by: Dorian
Date: September 25, 2014 08:01AM

I wasn't around lately because I'm a bit ill.
I've updated the final release with the correct session plugin and fixed a crash that appeared.

I'll try to make the official announcement tomorrow.

guenter
crashrpt.dll from 28. Juli 2014, 21:56:26 does for some unknown reason not fire up with 74 final on this system.

Check if the plugin is active, you have to activate it explicitely in the final version.

And I wish someone, who is using an old b4 version, could stop spamming me with crash report x_x. I can't use them.

Date: September 25, 2014 12:33PM

Zero3K

I don't think it uses Flash. I think it uses WEBM.

Thx for info.

Dorian
I've updated the final release with the correct session plugin and fixed a crash that appeared.

guenter
crashrpt.dll from 28. Juli 2014, 21:56:26 does for some unknown reason not fire up with 74 final on this system.

Check if the plugin is active, you have to activate it explicitely in the final version.

And I wish someone, who is using an old b4 version, could stop spamming me with crash report x_x. I can't use them.

Thank You Dorian.

Hope You will be better soon. We are in no hurry that You edit the news.
Maybe ask siria - she loves to edit the wiki news. grinning smiley
Especially with such nice info.

Sorry. Not to check! That was a stupid beginners mistake of mine. sad smiley I thought it was activated because I copy the old profile over after some initial testing. :s

Ok I will stop it and send nothing with b4 no more but drown Your mailbox with the saved, uncompressed 50 MB MS error report from final. grinning smiley

p.s. Reports with 74 final somehow do nor sent. See attachment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2014 03:56PM by guenter.

Attachments: k-meleon1.7z (60.2 KB)  
Posted by: thomase13
Date: September 25, 2014 03:53PM

Sorry about the invisible image!
This is why I liked the new attachment abilities of this Phorum.
When I joined, I could not attach to messages, but a few months ago I was suddenly allowed to. (I made mention of it when that happened, probably on the K-M Beta 4 thread). Now I can't anymore.
I don't know about the technical details of this Web site, but IMHO, all members should have attachment rights. There are many many broken links to images all around this Phorum because people use external hosting sites which delete images after not being accessed for 90 days. (I have done this myself)
I am trying to use Microsoft OneDrive, and I've updated the link so that hopefully it is visible now. If not, perhaps I should use something else like DropBox.
Hosting services you control like these are better than others like tinypic (which deletes if not accessed, and bayimg (which converts to JPEG automatically), but Phorum hosting is best!

Anyway, I made sure K-Meleon was closed (because that is definitely a silly mistake I would make) and replaced the prefs.js file once again, but it looks the same. I also checked my privilege (thanks for correcting the spelling of that in the menu!) and it is fine.
This time around, instead of deleting my previous version of K-M, I just installed the new version in a new folder. My K-M 74 and new K-M Final RC are installed in their own directories within Program Files\K-Meleon, but share the same old profile, which I never deleted (though I assume files were overwritten with the new K-M installation.)
When I open K-M 74 Beta 4, all of my toolbars are still in exactly the correct positions they always were in, and yet they both share exactly the same profile (which contains the prefs.js). How can this be?!?
My only conclusion is that toolbar positions must not actually be saved in prefs.js or anywhere in the profile, but some other place within the main program file!
The only other thing I can think of is that I somehow accidentally installed the new version as portable, but
  1. I think I would be more careful than that, and
  2. wouldn't things be set up differently then?
Thanks,
Thomas

P.S.
I also tried the same profile with the K-M 1.6 I have installed, and it mostly obeys the toolbar settings as well (except for the tab buttons)
I am guessing you're supposed to use a separate profile for each installation?
After going back to 74 beta 4, the menu bar was hidden!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2014 04:04PM by thomase13.

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: September 25, 2014 04:37PM

Dorian

So, to avoid a full new installation and all modifications needed to run as my wishes... for those who use already the previous final version...

Replace k-meleon.exe and sessions.dll plugin is enough? Or even none?

I haven't seen any file modified after a hash check from final to this final update :-? (the above link, I mean)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2014 04:38PM by JohnHell.

Date: September 25, 2014 05:06PM

thomase13
This is why I liked the new attachment abilities of this Phorum.

When You posted an attachmment You did AFAIK in Extensions or Graphics.
The attachment privilege is only activated in these for registered users.

I verified via Phorum Admin where registered users may post attachments.

JohnHell
I haven't seen any file modified after a hash check from final to this final update :-? (the above link, I mean)

The exe has the same CRC 32 and last modified date anyway.

Probably an old link. We will find out when Dorian is feeling better.

p.s. A way around the limitation to attach in a section like Announcements.

Attach to a post in a section where it is possible for registered users.
Attach there and link it from here.

Caution: You should limit this idea to essential things and use old posts that You have already created.

alain, Dorian we seem to be currently the only active admins?
Three are active but absent.

IMHO Off-Topic, Development, Linux users should also grant attachment privilges to all registered users.

Else registered users that are active in e.g. new users' support, Linux support or Development should get additional attachment privileges on a per user base to forums - maybe even to those forums where only You can grant privileges to all registered users.

Provided this is possible and wanted.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2014 05:27PM by guenter.

Date: September 25, 2014 05:25PM

That updated RC didn't fix the issue I was having with the saving of the session. I managed to fix it by making a text file containing the URLs in order I had them as tabs, deleting the broken session, restarting K-Meleon, opening the URLs into tabs and saving them under the old one's name.

Posted by: soccerfan
Date: September 25, 2014 06:01PM

Dorian

The md5 of this file is identical
to the previous 'final release'
md5 = de1b9e32875f108934e996b514c6ebe5

Wondering if the new file was really uploaded :s

soccerfan

Date: September 25, 2014 06:19PM

@Dorian: Sorry you were sick, hope you'll get better soon sad smiley

Please consider fixing also the commands.html (delete 1 line with the broken base href, update history commands or whatever was changed) and delete the 10year old commands.txt (attempt #4, sorry grinning smiley)

And it would also be very helpful for new users or testers to group more of the shattered skin+button configs together into the context menu of toolbars. Wouldn't break anything and no new translations needed. Probably just done by moving a few lines in menus.cfg up or down. I may try it myself when there's still hope it could help.

(A minor third wish, a native submenu for UA-macros could help us UA-fans to keep the bunch of UA macros together that we'll need to install now, to replace the deleted one. Cannot do without, sorry, although using 95% of time the native one, because I do see the prob with statistics too.)

thomase13
When I open K-M 74 Beta 4, all of my toolbars are still in exactly the correct positions they always were in, and yet they both share exactly the same profile (which contains the prefs.js). How can this be?!?
By using another profile? :cool:
Have you *really* doublechecked if the same folders open when clicking Edit>Config>ProfileDir??
But there actually is another influence: more or less native buttons enabled in the different KM versions, usually by more or less macros. Are there more buttons visible in one? This can of course also move the other toolbars around, simply due to lesser space.
And a second more: different skins in the different installations! Even if basically same skin, but there may be other buttons hidden or not by default if the toolbars.cfg or skin.js was modified. But the skin.js only has influence as long as no toolbars were moved.

thomase13
My only conclusion is that toolbar positions must not actually be saved in prefs.js or anywhere in the profile, but some other place within the main program file!
Wrong, sorry ;-) Do look inside the prefs.js (with a text editor) and just look at the bunch of k-meleon.toolband lines. Und you didn't try my skin instructions in a previous post to save a layout directly into a skin folder, right?
Okay, you could tell it's actually a wide mix of stored settings (prefs.js/skin.js/toolbars.cfg/button images/macros/default prefs) that determine the final layout smiling smiley But if you *move* any toolbars, the new positions get saved only in pref.js

thomase13
Would definitely do that, yes.
tip: with multi-profiles it helps to keep overview by having the browser ask at each startup which profile to use (Edit>Manage Profiles>Ask at startup) And in F2>GUI you can set a different window title for each profile, that will appear in all titlebars. For example (KM74-RC2_test)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2014 06:34PM by siria.

Date: September 25, 2014 06:49PM

siria
thomase13

Would definitely do that, yes.
tip: with multi-profiles it helps to keep overview by having the browser ask at each startup which profile to use (Edit>Manage Profiles>Ask at startup) And in F2>GUI you can set a different window title for each profile, that will appear in all titlebars. For example (KM74-RC2_test)

Definitely so. siria uses her way. I mine.

I do install as portable. Grant writing rights to each install's used profile folder. Copy last "used profile" to the install's new default profile.

Desktop. Right-click on that km's icon. Example:

Add red: E:\K-Meleon74.final\k-meleon.exe -new

That way I can start multiple K-M that all do not have a shared "uses profile" folder.

Copy skins to the new install, because I use my own skins.

Later I dedicate and adapt each km to a special purpose.

Or relegate it to un-used back installs.

This gives me purpose installed K-Meleons that know what they are doing and remember the past.

Like Banking. Searching info. Going to high risk sites... Name it.

p.s. I know no other browser that can do this (that I need and want) with any ease.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2014 07:00PM by guenter.

Pages: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.