guenter, you keep telling that the whole bookmarks.html wouldn't get stored, didn't exist at all or were write-protected.
But at least 3 users have now said that their new TITLES of the bookmarks do get saved, just not the URL. That sounds to me that their bookmarks.html IS changed and stored, only incomplete.
Perhaps 2 different bugs? There should be more testers.
I keep telling what tests I did to reproduce the alleged bugg.
XP SP3 / It might be system specific like that I have no spellckeck.
I deleted bookmarks.html and I later write protected it intentionally. Then in both I tried to bookmark. The next new bookmark does not get stored on my machine. No real alarm, no new file is started.
We probably could skip write protect as no fix possible.
But a somehow lost bookmarks.html (e.g. after a skandisk run) must
a.) raise a warning that no bookmarks.html was found
b.) start a new bookmarks.html to store the next bookmark.
Why a.) The user may want to investigate where the old html is. Locate it or use a backup. Users rarely delete this file.
Why b.) If the user deleted it intentionally a new one must be started automtically.
In both cases (which rarely happen in real live) the plugin makes problems.
And it is easy enough to test on Your Vista machine for Vista. It would IMHO
save Dorian's time, if we had a test or two for each Windows, so he does not have to start a virtual machine with it. It probably does not cause problems on his machine's OS.
No I think it is the same bug or a related problem.