Re: K-Meleon 74.0 Release
Posted by: siria
Date: September 29, 2014 07:57PM

For the curious, have found the draft for KM74 Release Notes in the wiki smiling smiley
http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/ReleaseNotes74
(The 50MB are unzipped 63, but I understand it's just a draft so far)

And I had meanwhile forgotten again some improvements, aside from newer engine and bugfixes, but there really are - quite some goodies here! smiling smiley

- better support when title bar is hidden (kmeleon.display.hideTitleBar)
- new: multiline pref for tab bar (kmeleon.tabs.multiline)
- new: restore on demand for sessions
- removed 260 characters limit in urlbar
and more

(too bad I can't use KM74 and the multiline tabs on my old online computer, direly needed here ;-)

Posted by: chinarobin
Date: September 30, 2014 01:42AM

it is only me that have the scroll problem?

Posted by: Zero3K
Date: September 30, 2014 02:38AM

chinarobin

What scroll problem?

Re: K-Meleon 74 Release
Date: September 30, 2014 03:11AM

guenter
Zero3K
guenter: The Crash Report plugin is enabled and works for most crashes (but not the silent ones).

A pity. sad smiley I did not have silent ones. Any page and receipe to provoke them?

I'm not able to pinpoint the cause of the silent crashes. The only thing that is occurring before the crashes is that I have multiple tabs set to continuously reload the page they contain.

Date: September 30, 2014 05:49AM

Zero3K
chinarobin

What scroll problem?

scrolling page up and down, sometimes it doesnot work, it is there since km 74 beta1.

Date: September 30, 2014 11:49AM

The new version is announced on many software sites now.

But most sites claim KM74 would still run on Win2000 sad smiley
(Aside from showing old version screenshots and sounding like it were developed by Firefox)
We really could use a few basic details on the news/download/forum pages.
Perhaps something like that?

(Download KM74....)
Much improved display of modern websites.
New settings for hiding titlebar and tabs multi-line
Based on Mozilla-Code ESR24.
System requirements:
Windows min. XP SP2 / Disk space min. 64MB (empty cache and profile)

About tabs multi-line, dimly remember it was announced as experimental/for testing? Does it fully work now?
And still confused that UA says gecko 24.0 but platform.ini 24.7

Posted by: JamesD
Date: September 30, 2014 01:30PM

siria
About tabs multi-line, dimly remember it was announced as experimental/for testing? Does it fully work now?

It works quite well. I have changed the minimum width from 6 to 36 mm and I can see enough of the tab to determine the site. When my tabs fill one line at 36 each, the next tab shows on a second line.

Posted by: thomase13
Date: September 30, 2014 05:23PM

chinarobin
Zero3K
chinarobin

What scroll problem?

scrolling page up and down, sometimes it doesnot work, it is there since km 74 beta1.

This is a problem in Firefox 24.x as well. This happens to me a fair bit, but clicking on the page seems so reset the scrolling, and the scrollbar should work once again!

Hopefully this is fixed in Firefox/Gecko 31 ESR.

Posted by: disrupt-ed
Date: September 30, 2014 05:35PM

smiling smiley) Thank you Dorian.

Posted by: zlsgdhr
Date: September 30, 2014 05:39PM

Chanson Yu
1、Dorian,thanks for your work!I hope you are better now,and best wishes to you!

2、New zh-CN locale file,the kmeleon.dll、kmeleon.kml、readme.html、zh-CN.jar(certManager.dtd、

deviceManager.dtd、history.dtd、netErrorApp.dtd) in it were changed.But sorry,I'm a little late!

3、There are two lines in \browser\defaults\preferences\kmeleon.js conflict with each other:

pref("kmeleon.plugins.crashrpt.load", true);
pref("kmeleon.plugins.crashrpt.load", false);

One of them should be deleted.
感谢中文翻译

Posted by: Dorian
Date: September 30, 2014 06:48PM

Zero3K
2. Is there any way to fix the issue with some sites not showing their favicon when added as a bookmark?

It should work better with the final version, but you need to add the site again in your bookmark. If it still not work, tell me what sites

rodocop
But one thing is absent: Newsfox.

Ooops, totally forgot about it after my addon experiment. I think a kmext should be made and added in the release note.

Zero3K
Dorian: How about configuring Telemetry to send its info to you so you can make K-Meleon work better?

Improving kmeleon itself would do nothing since the bottleneck is gecko core. The only solution that would make thing better and solve a lot of problem is having the ui in a different thread/process (check embedlite), but this would require support from mozilla.

Zero3K
Dorian: Its been crashing silently every now and then. Please improve the Crash Report plugin so that it can also catch those. Also, its password manager doesn't work on the login forms on Webcams.com and Openmailbox.org every now and then.

Probably because of out of memory. Gecko 31 will be better I hope.

siria
Have started translating the wiki download page, and suprised again to find "ghost" edits without history grinning smiley In the news chapter again. The prob is, translators tend to overlook it that way, and if someone messes it, intentionally or by accident, the previous version can't be restored, only the pre-previous...

Sry, that was me because the wiki didn't let me edit it.

And therefore, I'm looking for new wiki/tracker/cms with shared authentication, so this requires some work. Current wiki/tracker are too impractical and broken. If anyone have a suggestion, or better if anyone want to do it ... :p

Date: September 30, 2014 07:25PM

Dorian
Zero3K
2. Is there any way to fix the issue with some sites not showing their favicon when added as a bookmark?

It should work better with the final version, but you need to add the site again in your bookmark. If it still not work, tell me what sites

Thanks for fixing it. The bug involving it leaving the URL as blank when adding a page as a bookmark still hasn't been fixed.

Date: September 30, 2014 11:07PM

thomase13
chinarobin
Zero3K
chinarobin

What scroll problem?

This is a problem in Firefox 24.x as well. This happens to me a fair bit, but clicking on the page seems so reset the scrolling, and the scrollbar should work once again!

Hopefully this is fixed in Firefox/Gecko 31 ESR.

yes, i see. Thank u!

Date: October 01, 2014 02:17AM

Dorian
Zero3K
Dorian: Its been crashing silently every now and then. Please improve the Crash Report plugin so that it can also catch those. Also, its password manager doesn't work on the login forms on Webcams.com and Openmailbox.org every now and then.

Probably because of out of memory. Gecko 31 will be better I hope.

1. Why would it be out of memory when I still have free RAM?
2. What about the password manager issue?

Date: October 01, 2014 11:25AM

I have this site where the password manager does not work. I am never asked to save the password.
http://registration.myway.com/primary_login.jsp?regarea=email&return_url=http://my.myway.com/email_redir.jsp

Edit: Not a fault of the browser. Something in the website prevents asking browsers automatically.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2014 08:59PM by JamesD.

Date: October 01, 2014 12:59PM

JamesD
siria

It works quite well. I have changed the minimum width from 6 to 36 mm and I can see enough of the tab to determine the site. When my tabs fill one line at 36 each, the next tab shows on a second line.

Fantastic! As a 50-tabs-surfer I've been wishing for that possibility since YEARS!
I understand it's not yet in the pref sheets, but it's not even in about:config yet :-( :O
kmeleon.tabs.multiline

Another fantastic but completely missing pref, although the checkbox in prefs still exists, and it does work on Vista:
kmeleon.display.toolbars_line
I don't know if that works on all those sophisticated monster machines today, but that's no reason to hide it from the others. In that case I'd say just add a note about it to the checkbox.

Posted by: desga2
Date: October 01, 2014 11:29PM

rodocop
Dorian,

3 things more:

1) there are some bug about proxy setup in almost all 74's builds:

by default, no connection type is selected (it was set to 'Direct connection' in KM-1.6)
And when opening proxy settings you get this:

It looks like there are some glitch somewhere in prefs or macros but I cannot find it now.

You can fix this, two ways:

A) Running K-Meleon74:
Load about:config page and filter by: proxy1
Right click and Reset all entries except this pref:
kmeleon.plugins.macros.proxy1.name

cool smiley K-Meleon74 not running:
Open \K-Meleon74\Profiles\!!!!!!!!.default\prefs.js file with your text editor.
Delete this entry line:
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.macros.proxy.configs", "proxy1;");

And all lines with "proxy1" match except this line:
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.macros.proxy1.name", "Custom Proxy 1");

I think this is generated by xul Preference Panel for Proxy options for translate kmeleon.plugins.macros.proxy1.name pref string.

Greetings.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2014 11:32PM by desga2.

Posted by: guenter
Date: October 01, 2014 11:37PM

1.) Have the files for download been changed since yesterday?

74.0 asks to update.

2.) Some sites seem offer K-Meleon via download managers that automatically install 3.rd party add-ware, if You do not chose custom install. If custom You can deselect.

Can K-Meleon.org (Dorian.dev smiling smiley) change conditions so that all must download at SF and such practise is not allowed anymore?

Else can K-Meleon.org say it is free software but not free of charge if this is done? If money changes hands, we want it for K-Meleon devs and puposes!?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2014 11:41PM by guenter.

Date: October 01, 2014 11:59PM

siria
Another fantastic but completely missing pref, although the checkbox in prefs still exists, and it does work on Vista:
kmeleon.display.toolbars_line
I don't know if that works on all those sophisticated monster machines today, but that's no reason to hide it from the others. In that case I'd say just add a note about it to the checkbox.

Temporary, expedient fix. Works on Win 7 (64 bit).

displaytoolbarline.kmm

#  K-Meleon Macros (http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?id=MacroLanguage2)
#
# ---------- displaytoolbarline.kmm
# ---------- Toggle between toolbar line show and hide ( requires restart )
#
# Dependencies        : main.kmm
# Resources           :   
# Preferences         : "kmeleon.display.toolbars_line"
# Version             : 1.0  2014-10-01  		
# --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_displaytoolbarline_toggle {
menuchecked=getpref( BOOL , "kmeleon.display.toolbars_line" )==true;
togglepref(BOOL, "kmeleon.display.toolbars_line");
alert(_("Restart of browser required for \ndisplay toolbar line change to take effect."));
}

_displaytoolbarline_Build_Menu {
setmenu("Toolbars", macro, _("Show Toolbars line"), "_displaytoolbarline_toggle", -1);	
}

## - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 
$OnInit=$OnInit."_displaytoolbarline_Build_Menu;";
$macroModules=$macroModules."displaytoolbarline;";

Posted by: andyc
Date: October 02, 2014 04:03PM

Thank you very much for this release and for continuing the project! I've been a fan for many years.

Date: October 03, 2014 09:10AM

guenter
http://www.mybrowserinfo.com/ shows also:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:24.0) Gecko/20140105 Firefox/24.0 K-Meleon/24.6.0

GMX is one of the pages that naggs me with "update to the newest version of Firefox".
I had to add an exception to BluHell Firewall, a popup blocker, on the logout page.

Funny thing is that I get such messages only extremely rarely - with native KM1.6! grinning smiley Actually if NO FF is included there seem to me rather LESS probs than more, contrary to the common myth, at least where I am surfing around. Guys, you may want to add a fake 1.6 to the UA list, hehe ;-) Although I'm afraid, now that KM74 is the official latest KM version, web admins might add KM1.6 also to their "update browser" list...

@guenter: KM24.6 ??? Just a typo, right...?

Anyway, have meanwhile stumbled across an older post here that says it's not KM's fault that platform.ini shows 24.7 and UA 24.0, but that it's actually some gecko bug, and FF has the same bug!
Now I wonder: How about using as "native" string for KM74 one that "fakes" the real gecko version 24.7?
And guess Dorian mentioned FF has now updated the ESR version from gecko24 to gecko 31. This belongs into a fake UA list too smiling smiley

Date: October 03, 2014 02:42PM

siria
guenter
http://www.mybrowserinfo.com/ shows also:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:24.0) Gecko/20140105 Firefox/24.0 K-Meleon/24.6.0

GMX is one of the pages that naggs me with "update to the newest version of Firefox".
I had to add an exception to BluHell Firewall, a popup blocker, on the logout page.

Funny thing is that I get such messages only extremely rarely - with native KM1.6! grinning smiley Actually if NO FF is included there seem to me rather LESS probs than more, contrary to the common myth, at least where I am surfing around. Guys, you may want to add a fake 1.6 to the UA list, hehe ;-) Although I'm afraid, now that KM74 is the official latest KM version, web admins might add KM1.6 also to their "update browser" list...

@guenter: KM24.6 ??? Just a typo, right...?

Anyway, have meanwhile stumbled across an older post here that says it's not KM's fault that platform.ini shows 24.7 and UA 24.0, but that it's actually some gecko bug, and FF has the same bug!
Now I wonder: How about using as "native" string for KM74 one that "fakes" the real gecko version 24.7?
And guess Dorian mentioned FF has now updated the ESR version from gecko24 to gecko 31. This belongs into a fake UA list too smiling smiley

grinning smiley

No typo I copy & paste whenever I can:

No idea why. smiling smiley // IMHO I found the reason via prefs.js. I have an addon that manipulates addons to think the appliaction is updated to the needed level and prevents further update checks. It was deactivated when the used profile was by a K-Meleon that used esr 24.6.0.

https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/addon/checkcompatibility/

IMHO it has written these values.

user_pref("extensions.check-compatibility.app-version", "24.6.0");
user_pref("extensions.checkCompatibility.24.6", true);
user_pref("extensions.lastAppVersion", "24.6.0");
user_pref("extensions.lastPlatformVersion", "\"24.6.0\"");
user_pref("extensions.requestpolicy.lastAppVersion", "24.6.0");

FF 24 esr is at 24.8.1. I also use tete009 builds http://www1.plala.or.jp/tete009/en-US/software.html#FX24_VC12 He updates his GRE's whenever he can.

Via URL "about:" it also has the build identifier:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:24.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/24.0

http://browserspy.dk/useragent.php confirms that this is sent to pages.

Maybe You can do a script that updates the fake IDs automatically. grinning smiley

Date: October 03, 2014 03:43PM

. (sorry, forget it, was probably just an old manual UA)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2014 07:54PM by siria.

Posted by: Yogi
Date: October 03, 2014 04:34PM

Ich verstehe jetzt Bahnhof grinning smiley

siria
guenter
FF 24 esr is at 24.8.1. I also use tete009 builds http://www1.plala.or.jp/tete009/en-US/software.html#FX24_VC12 He updates his GRE's whenever he can.

Ich krieg die Krise...

Keine Krise bitte. Cool bleiben smiling smiley
Ich bekomme die "2010" nicht!
That's the UA string I get from BrowserSpy:

Ich benutze auch die Portable.
Könnte es sein daß die Portable und die Install-Version unterschiedliche Browserkennung haben?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2014 04:35PM by Yogi.

Date: October 03, 2014 06:28PM

siria
guenter

Ich krieg die Krise...
You have that "2010" crap too??! That messes gmx login and tons ofother pages?
So where does that come from in your version????
When I look into my portable KM74.0, it definitely claims "20140105"!

Maybe You should read my post another time. That what You marked RED was a Firefox string used by a Firefox. And that served as an example for the ESR bug You mentioned.

It has nothing to do with the alleged/unverified gmx loggin problem/bug.

Or better the falsified bug that seems to come from one users proxy settings and that I could not reproduce.

@ Yogy no. siria did not understand that I used that string as an example for the ESR 24 bug that she had mentioned before.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2014 09:51PM by guenter.

Date: October 03, 2014 07:03PM

JamesD
I have this site where the password manager does not work. I am never asked to save the password.
http://registration.myway.com/primary_login.jsp?regarea=email&return_url=http://my.myway.com/email_redir.jsp

Edit: Not a fault of the browser. Something in the website prevents asking browsers automatically.

The password manager does not work on the Deutsche Bank and Sparkasse Hanover site either. But that is true for all browsers and the external password managers I have tried.

That is an intended feature of such sites.

So far You folks only said so and so does not work.

But You did not say that other browsers do work. Or at least I did not read that anyone claimeded that he had tested with FF esr 24. But maybe I had senior moment problems and over-read some info.

p.s. There are some ways to override these site specific features.

http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/136761/force-firefox-to-remember-passwords-on-particular-sites

But these do not work on all sites.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2014 08:04PM by guenter.

Date: October 03, 2014 07:59PM

Yogi
Könnte es sein daß die Portable und die Install-Version unterschiedliche Browserkennung haben?
No sorry, it was just a misunderstanding, he had an old manual UA. Have deleted my post above.

guenter, wenn ich wütend bin hört sich das anders an. Das war nur leicht geschockt, auch wenns am Ende auf einem Missverständnis beruhte.

Date: October 03, 2014 08:12PM

ok. Did anyone verify the loggin bug on gmx?

p.s. Hast du jetzt den gmx Bug auch gekriegt oder ist es nur ein Proxy?

Wenn du mir zu anders anhörst, lösche ich das zukünftig.tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2014 08:22PM by guenter.

Date: October 03, 2014 08:39PM

I'm having issues with the BetterPrivacy addon which is installed into K-Meleon 74. Its not showing that I changed the settings in its Options & Help tab. It shows what is selected by default instead of what I selected/changed. Also, none of the options I changed are taking effect.

Date: October 03, 2014 08:41PM

guenter
ok. Did anyone verify the loggin bug on gmx?

I am not sure either. I set up an account on gmx.com. I used the KM user agent string. I think that I see the full system.

I cannot try gmx.net because it is not English language. Also I don't know anything about using a proxy. I am not sure I was of any help.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.