Announcements :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-meleon announcements. 
Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: K-Meleon 75 Release
Posted by: siria
Date: July 13, 2015 06:17PM

JamesD
I must not have something enabled that I should on my system. Javascript is allowed and flashblock is off, but all that I see at https://vimeo.com/132980067 is an empty white screen. Win 7 (32 bit) KM 75.0

Ha - you too, even on win7?!
Me too, but that's on KM 1.6 :cool:
Find it funny that there is absolutely nothing, not even a source-code, no error-message, even when faking UA to FF36, allowing JS and Ojects. Perhaps it's one of my blocks, host file, adblock, etc? Sure it may be a html5-video or whatever modern stuff, but shouldn't then exist at least a source-code - anything?? The page starts to load, only after ~2sec it stops, like the server has checked something and decided "you get nothing" tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2015 06:18PM by siria.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Yogi
Date: July 13, 2015 06:32PM

JamesD
I must not have something enabled that I should on my system. Javascript is allowed and flashblock is off, but all that I see at https://vimeo.com/132980067 is an empty white screen. Win 7 (32 bit) KM 75.0
Try a forced reload.

With JavaScript enabled and Flashblock deactivated:

It also plays fine if I disable JavaScript and leave Flashblock enabled.

Date: July 13, 2015 06:49PM

Decided to rename my HOSTS file and => BINGO!
The video page shows up. Have blocked some two dozen sites in HOSTS like google-analytics, googleapis...

So far looks normal. Allowed JS, blocked Flash, and the familiar Start-Icon appears. Am not going further or might overload my old pc, since KM1.6 cannot stop any stuff once it started loading.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2015 06:53PM by siria.

Date: July 13, 2015 07:10PM

rodocop
Being precise, video gets the sound but neither you can watch the picture nor the flashblock button disappear.

You're not alone:
https://dfspspirit.wordpress.com/2014/02/15/vimeo-does-not-work-with-firefox-and-the-flashblock-plugin

THIS sounds interesting... more than 1 domain needs to be whitelisted:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=66654

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2015 07:12PM by siria.

Date: July 13, 2015 07:11PM

siria
The video page shows up. Have blocked some two dozen sites in HOSTS like google-analytics, googleapis...
The above are blocked here too. smiling smiley
If you use HostsMan you can disable your HOSTS file with one click. Besides, it offers other handy features as well.

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: July 13, 2015 08:41PM

siria

So far looks normal. Allowed JS, blocked Flash, and the familiar Start-Icon appears. Am not going further or might overload my old pc, since KM1.6 cannot stop any stuff once it started loading.

Mmmmm I also have a hosts file (well, almost all of us use it) and I don't have a problem on Vimeo.

To avoid bother Siria as 75 isn't in her internet PC, could you make an experiment?

Type about:networking. Press DNS button.

Load the video page as you already have done https://vimeo.com/132980067

Go to the about:networking and press refresh and tell us what domains are being blocked. You have 60 seconds (default) from the first Vimeo http/s connection hit/resolution.

Date: July 13, 2015 08:56PM

JohnHell
HTML5 nowadays, can't be blocked, or the flashblock that comes with K-meleon, at least with youtube, doesn't work with HTML5 video tag.

But in F2 > ...> Flashblock > Whitelist is a checkbox to also "block html5 video" - does it not work?

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: July 13, 2015 09:22PM

siria
JohnHell
HTML5 nowadays, can't be blocked, or the flashblock that comes with K-meleon, at least with youtube, doesn't work with HTML5 video tag.

But in F2 > ...> Flashblock > Whitelist is a checkbox to also "block html5 video" - does it not work?

At least on YouTube doesn't. Appears the icon to play from flashblock, but the video starts to download and play before click it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2015 09:23PM by JohnHell.

Posted by: Felix Silvas
Date: July 13, 2015 10:58PM

I'm not very expert in web browsers, but faithfully follow the progress of K-Meleon Browser. I like so practical and fast..congratulation everyone to continue with this project..+10:mad::drool:

Posted by: rodocop
Date: July 14, 2015 10:10AM

Well, the flashblock FAQ page has an answer about css-hack for vimeo. Add this code to usercontent.css:
@-moz-document domain(player.vimeo.com) {
  div.aj,
  div.am {
    z-index: 3000 !important;
    position: absolute !important;
  }

div.by > div.an:last-child {
    opacity: 1 !important;
  }

div.by > object[id*="cover"]:not(:last-child) {
    display: none;
  }
}

Posted by: Zero3K
Date: July 16, 2015 02:06AM

I have a bug to report. The video on http://www.twitch.tv/iateyourpie/v/7651642 doesn't load even after waiting a few minutes.

Date: July 16, 2015 08:14AM

cannot confirm. Loads for me

Date: July 16, 2015 09:00AM

Loads fine here too.

@Zero3K

No bug. With cookies disabled it refuses to load.
With cookies enabled it loads fine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2015 09:00AM by Yogi.

Posted by: mouse
Date: September 08, 2015 08:06AM

Amazing that you guys give us so much for free. THanks so much for maintaining a truly great lightweight browser.

Mike

Date: September 08, 2015 03:00PM

Welcome to the club, mouse!

Posted by: namad
Date: February 17, 2016 09:35AM

Zero3K
I would also like to report that it still uses up too much CPU on a constant basis (more so when watching a Twitch VOD).

I can confirm this as well k meleon uses 23-33% of my i5-3750k to watch a twitch VOD waterfox uses 1-7% of it.
this is entirely unacceptable and means I for example can not use k-meleon on in the background while playing games as background noise (people talking about games while I play games is something I like)

on top of that waterfox often uses 0-1% of it whereas k-meleon uses 20%+ the entire time.
something is going wrong watching long twitch vods.

Date: February 17, 2016 04:20PM

Are you sure guys about Twitch?

I've tested some VODs on http://www.twitchvods.com and get the next:

- KM uses ~65-80% of my CPU (CoreDuo T2130)
- FF CPU load is exactly the same but divided to 2 processes - firefox.exe itself and plugin-container.exe where the latter eats 2-3x more than firefox binary (45-60% vs 15-20%).

Isn't this your case too? Don't you miss the plugin-container CPU load?

Date: February 18, 2016 08:49AM

I had added them both together, but I did eventually notice that after hours of the video playing waterfox had gone up to about 20-21% combined between the two tasks.
Which was nearly as bad as kmeleon.

Waterfox is definitely using less cpu at the start though. Although in order to keep the benefit I need to restart waterfox I guess every hour?

Here's an example video, notice that it is EXTREMELY long and I think this length has something to do with the issue.

http://www.twitch.tv/moonducktv/v/44512884

waterfox is a 64bit fork of firefox so I'm not sure if the 64bit code is somehow what the benefit is coming from, it's possible 32bit firefox is exactly as bad in this way as kmeleon.

Date: February 18, 2016 08:51AM

hmmm, actually, keeping the massive cpu load benefit might require restarting the VOD every 5minutes, this might just be an issue where the benefit only exists because my patience to stare at cpu load numbers isn't high enough.

Date: February 18, 2016 03:43PM

I just can help you with one little trick. It is related to the background play.

Just switch focus to other tab (if no one exists - simply open it) than video playing - and CPU load of K-Meleon will fall to about 2-3 times!

For example when I watch some video on my netbook (Intel Atom N450) KM loads CPU up to 60-70%. But when I switch it to next tab it immediately falls to 16-27%.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2016 03:47PM by rodocop.

Date: February 18, 2016 06:48PM

I just lock kmeleon to only 1of 4cores forcing it to use no more than 25%... which oddly compares with no downgrade in playback, I think whatever format the twitch vods are in was not well designed for long videos (which they all are).

If I download the entire video and play it in VLC it uses almost no cpu load at all, so maybe I'll start doing that (the download was 12gb though and took all day).

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.