Announcements :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-meleon announcements. 
Pages: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 7 of 10
Re: K-Meleon 76 RC
Posted by: Yogi
Date: July 30, 2016 03:58PM

Weird indeed.

It shouldn't make any difference but since we are at it - these are my settings:

The only file extension in my prefs for file handling by type is that for ISO files.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rodocop
Date: July 30, 2016 05:01PM

Also I should clarify that pan.baidu issue is really the problem of KM76 itself not Gecko 38 - FF38 handles this page correctly.

Posted by: hermes
Date: July 30, 2016 07:40PM

rodocop
Also I should clarify that pan.baidu issue is really the problem of KM76 itself not Gecko 38 - FF38 handles this page correctly.
Сorrectly? Very strange... FF38esr/FF45esr - 'pokemon' error, KM74/75/75.1/76 'pokemon' error!
Only IE11 UA can display this content (for me sad smiley).

Date: July 30, 2016 08:04PM

hermes,
как я писал выше - с первого раза ВСЕ браузеры показывают покемона. Надо сделать обязательный релоад.

As I said, first run gives error pokemon in EVERY browser. Just reload to see real picture.

Posted by: gordon451
Date: July 31, 2016 12:41AM

rodocop
As I said, first run gives error pokemon in EVERY browser. Just reload to see real picture.

That's odd. As I said in this post, my other 3 browsers opened PanBaidu on the first visit. At the moment I'm having latency problems, s1.pan.bdstatic is refusing to come to Australia for some reason. If I force the matter by leaning on F5, all browsers show me the bird. Opera 12.17 is currently getting the best results, showing me most of the text on the page.

My belief is that (wherever in the package) KM just cannot accept the stupid mistakes in PanBaidu's js. And nor would I :mad:

Date: July 31, 2016 02:12AM

Maybe Baidu site handles differently calls from our countries/IPs?

It's very uncommon site in terms of its backend as I can see.

Date: July 31, 2016 04:53AM

rodocop
Maybe Baidu site handles differently calls from our countries/IPs?

It's a horrible thought, but it looks a reasonable assumption.

Date: July 31, 2016 07:20AM

rodocop

Just want to confirm Rodocop.
At first attemt I got the pokemon 403 Forbidden header response.
At second attempt I was offered the content.
See screenshot.
For convenience and out of laziness, this time I only tested with a fresh (portable) install of Firefox ESR 45.2.0.

Date: July 31, 2016 08:02AM

@Chanson Yu

As a second thought - did you also test with a clean fresh (portable) install so you can rule out any interference of a third party script?

Posted by: siria
Date: August 28, 2016 11:41AM

New users often run into bugs if they install the portable version into the default "programs" folder, due to missing write permission there. Recently there was even this crazy case, that a user posted several months (if not a year?) about vanishing history and bookmarks, until finally it turned out: he did indeed use the portable setting (profile.ini in root folder) despite a missing write permission in the portable profile folder, but Win7 was so 'clever' to 'secretely' redirect all write attempts of portable programs into another folder. Into the normal 'user' directory, so that writing seemed to work at first, but later when such portable programs try to read again such files they look into the original folder and don't find them there. Or only the untouched default files.

Since awhile KM contains now the troubleshooting macro for checking exactly this profile write permission. That's great, only I keep thinking: the wording 'privilege' is kinda confusing for non-native users. Couldn't the menu be changed to use a simple "write permission" instead of (techy) "privilege"?
That would easily be understood by everyone. And being just a macro, no complicated binary files would need an update, only the simply kml-files.

Date: August 28, 2016 12:32PM

@Dorian: tons of malware posters on the KM site again sad smiley
Please check the UpdatedPages.
Only took a quick glance now, after finally updating the download page with "last dev version" 76RC instead of alpha1, at least in EN.

But cannot bear it anymore since awhile. Had to give up that futile race after all those evil people, considering they are the only KM site 'authors' since years except very few known KM supporters. Not strong enough nerves for a policy to leave all doors and windows of the KM house wide open to all vandals passing by, who only keep damaging it, instead of closing the doors and giving the key only to a list of known KM supporters. So have started thinking that a couple bad links here and there are actually a good thing, as the only chance for at least some careful readers to notice a hint of the danger. No normal internet user would otherwise get the idea that an important homepage is not maintained by its admin but by every stranger passing by, fully intentionally meant to be so.

Date: August 28, 2016 12:51PM

Ah no, and just realized another evil trick. Seems like abusing a software bug: if a link URL is not written before but after |, then the INFO page does not list the URL at all! Only the first word of the name on the right side. And such fake links are not listed at their position mid-site like the others, but at the very bottom of the info page link list.

So I thought, the only chance is now to use the links list in KM page properties. Then found this shows only the names, no URLs, making it useless for this case.

Edit: Hmm.... after some more page looks, at least that japanese guy may actually be real. A wonder :cool: But rare exceptions don't outweigh all the bad and possibly dangerous links by all the others.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2016 02:16PM by siria.

Posted by: guenter
Date: August 28, 2016 05:14PM

Maybe a few more of us should check every once in a while. Pests tend to go away when their post are often gone after a few daysw. grinning smiley

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/wiki/RecentChanges?id=RecentChanges&days=365

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/wiki/UpdatedPages

p.s. siria, any other nice URLs You check?

Date: August 28, 2016 06:24PM

We keep disagreeing on this, but that's not new ;-) The prob is not all of them are harmless, they can just as well spread trojans or ransomware or viruses that may cost real lifes, if landing on a hospital server or such. Am not a laywer, but we keep reading all the time that people who had no clue that a perp was abusing some equipment of theirs can be punished too if they didn't do everything to prevent abuse. And the current policy is really scaringly careless.

Posted by: torbetron
Date: September 03, 2016 05:19PM

Hi, I run Windows 10 and am a long-time user of K-Meleon. I upgraded my KM version to 76 RC a couple of months ago, and here are two "bugs" I have found, but haven't seen any mention of them yet in this thread:

1) When I click on a link on a page, it doesn't always cleanly load the new page. It just shows some pixels from new page, so the end result is a mixture of original page I was on and the new page. Only when I use scroll wheel on my mouse does the page fully appear (all pixels). Does anybody else have this problem?

2) I personally like to be able open multiple windows of KM, and one way I have easily done this is to open KM from Start menu of Windows, even if a KM is already open. In the past, this has always simply opened a new window that is brought into the foreground, leaving the already-minimized other windows still minimized. But now, with 76 RC, when I start KM like this, it opens a new tab in the existing window, and it doesn't even bring the window in the foreground, rather it stays minimized. Is there a setting where I can change this behavior to the original?

Thank-you for your help!

Date: September 04, 2016 02:30AM

For 1) try this:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?3,139534

About 2), have no idea about Win10 and little about KM76, but those new modern windows versions have their own will and can be quite stubborn. If the reason is actually a KM setting, check the options at F2>Browsing, on the right side the background tab has the "Window diversion" options.
For opening new windows exist alternatives too. E.g. CTRL+N, or menu File>New Window, or right-clicking a tab etc.

Please report back if it works...

Posted by: torbetron
Date: September 05, 2016 07:14PM

Hi, thank-you for your suggestions. I did indeed find a setting in window diversion, by setting "open urls passed from external applications" to "In a new window". This solved issue #2!

For issue #1, I tried the suggestion of setting layers.acceleration.disabled to "true", and so far, so good. The partial-loading problem is sporadic, so I need to keep testing.

Note, I also have the issue of a black screen appearing shortly before loading a page, and this latter fix do not remedy that. Setting layers.offmainthreadcomposition.enabled to "false" also did not help. But, the black page for a split-second is not a serious problem, so I can live with it.

Thank-you again for your help, I really appreciate it!

Date: September 05, 2016 09:43PM

Thank you for telling! Let's hope those artefacts stay away now, sounds really odd (although I know it from KM1.6 too, even extreme, but that's a whole different story than a current modern version)

Posted by: Ящер
Date: September 14, 2016 11:01AM

For a long time no news. sad smiley Project is frozen again? sad smiley

Posted by: Mercury048
Date: September 18, 2016 10:55PM

Will this RC ever make it to official release? It has been a while...

Posted by: JamesD
Date: September 19, 2016 11:19AM

I have noticed that when using KM-76RC2 that I am not taken to the correct place in the forum if I click on the "NEW" or "Last Post" links. These seem to work fine in KM-75.1 version.

When I clicked on "NEW" for this thread I should have been taken to the previous post. see below:

Re: K-Meleon 76 RC new
Posted by: Mercury048
Date: September 19, 2016 05:55AM

Instead, I was taken to this post.

Current Page: 7 of 7
Date: July 30, 2016 10:58PM

It is possible that I have made some config setting change that is causing this, so could some verify that this also happens to them.

Date: September 26, 2016 05:36AM

JamesD
I have noticed that when using KM-76RC2 that I am not taken to the correct place in the forum if I click on the "NEW" or "Last Post" links. These seem to work fine in KM-75.1 version.

It happens to me also, but only on this forum. I've noticed in the past there are some odd things in the forum engine-room, so I don't now take much notice.

If this behaviour was replicated on any other forum, then perhaps we may have a bug.

Gordon.

Date: September 26, 2016 08:32AM

gordon451
JamesD

It happens to me also, but only on this forum. I've noticed in the past there are some odd things in the forum engine-room, so I don't now take much notice.

(Another great quote in a sig-line, so true, hehe grinning smiley)

Yeah the phorum software is definitely a very special case.
Since Dorian finally installed the plugin that lists all new postings of all subforums in a single overview page, I've been using only that one. Had badly missed that for years.
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/addon.php?0,module=recent_messages

On that page, the red "NEW" isn't linked anymore, only the posting titles, and those have normal anchor links like that:
kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?12,119575,139846#msg-139846

But before, in the single subforums, had never realized that this red "NEW" was a link! Just now tried it again for testing.
Those NEW links in subforums go like this:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?12,119575,gotonewpost

That now took me to a posting from 2011!!!
To be precise, to the beginning of post nr.2 on page nr.1 in panzers endless freeware thread. Am clicking that only rarely, once a month or so, but had definitely visited some younger posts since 2011 in there.
=> Looks like the phorum software remembers every single posting you ever visited or not, not just the last one of each thread?! Whoa...

Posted by: JamesD
Date: September 26, 2016 12:06PM

siria
Yeah the phorum software is definitely a very special case.
Since Dorian finally installed the plugin that lists all new postings of all subforums in a single overview page, I've been using only that one. Had badly missed that for years.
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/addon.php?0,module=recent_messages

WOW! That is a good thing to know. This goes in my hotlinks for sure.

Gordon451
If this behaviour was replicated on any other forum, then perhaps we may have a bug.

The thing is that KM 76 presents this problem and KM 75.1 does not. I think there is another situation, but I will need to research and document it.

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: September 29, 2016 10:28PM

Rumor: Mozilla will drop support for XP about 2018.

Let's see how we can handle this. Well, Dorian, not me confused smiley

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?12,139882

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2016 10:29PM by JohnHell.

Posted by: 4td8s
Date: October 13, 2016 01:33AM

JohnHell

not really. maybe sooner than that:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1303827

Posted by: guenter
Date: October 13, 2016 05:47AM

4td8s
JohnHell

not really. maybe sooner than that:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1303827

Means EOL moved into esr52 - no more no less. No idea how long that esr52 will be supported.

p.s. XP will be increasingly hard to support. No new, current compilers by MS and Mozilla will intentionally cripple the support one day.

So XP users will in two years have to look over the fence. Go to Linux with wine or look for XP support by extenders or browsers still supporting the original XP SP3.

There are countries where XP is still up to a third of the user base. While Google chrome has cut updates - chrome branches in Russia and China still support XP for this very reason. I deinstalled Google Chrome and installed Baidu and Yandex flavours of Chromium - after chrome said no updates for XP.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2016 07:35AM by guenter.

Posted by: 4td8s
Date: November 05, 2016 10:00PM

for Desktop Operating System Market Share on NetMarketShare.com, Windows 8.1 has slightly surpassed Windows XP when the October 2016 report came out on 11/1/2016:
https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

And Mozilla plans to offer Firefox 53 as default for 64bit Windows (aka. win64) - one more reason why XP AND Vista support for Firefox next year will officially be dropped since only 32bit versions of current firefox versions do still support XP & Vista.

Posted by: Mala Okeh
Date: November 10, 2016 01:15PM

Hi everybody, esp. Dorian,

can someone tell me if a final version of K-Meleon 76 is planned, and if so when?

Thx in advance,

Mala

Posted by: chinarobin
Date: November 23, 2016 02:28AM

block page color doesn't work, any way to make it right?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2016 08:17AM by chinarobin.

Pages: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 7 of 10

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.